HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

Great job on the cathead Jason. I was just wondering why you painted the capstan red, are there any examples of this throughout history? Or simply to hide the walnut ply?

I was looking at mine and didn't like the look of the ply layers so I painted the top part black (this part looked the worst) , what do you think?

post-698-0-89059700-1379772109_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-66243100-1379772127_thumb.jpg

Previous build -  HM Schooner Pickle
Current build -    HMS Snake 1:64
Future Build -      Sergal Cutty Sark

Great job on the cathead Jason. I was just wondering why you painted the capstan red, are there any examples of this throughout history? Or simply to hide the walnut ply?

I was looking at mine and didn't like the look of the ply layers so I painted the top part black (this part looked the worst) , what do you think?

Sorry Pete, for my intervention... It's an unnessary reminding, a little thing that you know very well but in these situations when the ply layers are in sight, I prefer to replicate them as scratch...  m0747.gif

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

B.E. - thanks, that's a much appreciated compliment coming from you!

Pete/Ferit - Believe capstans would have been painted in practice, don't think I've seen one unpainted.  In terms of colours, I tired a couple of thinkgs before settling on the plain red which I like best.  However, I'd agree with Ferit that if I had been building an model without paint I would probably have tried to scratch something as I really do not like the ply look.  I can live with it on the ladders because it not too noticeable.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Few pics before I forget on the approach taken for the single blocks for the carronade rigging, this seems to have worked best so far after many choice words on multiple failures.  Finding this particularly fiddly dealing with the hooks and the blocks and keeping them aligned....at least the double blocks only need stropping.

After simple overhand knot through the previously made hook, applied a bit of GS Hypo glue to the thread and attach the single block (very small amount of glue, this is just a temp at way to stop the block continually falling out :angry:

post-891-0-35209900-1379987532_thumb.jpg

Yet another overhand knot around the block for the stropping.  "Helping hands" come in very handy here

post-891-0-83177700-1379987534_thumb.jpg

With the block still in the helping hands, pry open the stropping enough to insert a length of the line through and pull around so its at the bottom of the block (believe its the **** end?) and tie a double overhand knot

post-891-0-40686500-1379987537_thumb.jpg

Apply some dilute PVA glue and trim once dry...repeat

post-891-0-67337200-1379987539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice details for working with small blocks, I'll try to remember to reference this for my build of the Niagra later on.  thanks for sharing the photos on your methods.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nice work on the gun rigging and catheads!  Stropping and running the small blocks on the cannons was probably the most frustrating part of my build - was a relief to be able to jump from 2mm blocks to 3mm blocks for the rest of the build :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Promised no more updates until I was done with carronade rigging, still not done so this is a 'notation to self for the future' rather than an 'update'.  One lesson I'm learning is that I'm going through a lot of rigging line, and each spool seems different to the last.  The stuff supplied in the box was very nice to work with, new line bought separately, though allegedly the same is much springier and surface seems much rougher and prone to snagging so harder to work with.  Not sure why there is a difference, whether I was lucky with the kit supplied stuff, or unlucky with the replacement line.

These are far from consistent with the outcome, so I'm moving around the deck randomly to mix earlier and later efforts so I don't have a gradual transition from 'bad' to 'better' along one side.

Apologies for the photos not quite being in focus, I didn't notice when I took them...

Step 1:  Simply rigged using the blocks prepared earlier....

post-891-0-33779400-1380463849_thumb.jpg

Step 2: Rig as taught as possible and thread through the eyes of the hooks, aft first and then the bulwark hook...

post-891-0-17150200-1380463795_thumb.jpg

Step 3: Thread line around the line near where it is tied to the single block, care needs to be taken not to foul with any of the other lines.  Simple overhand knot and piece of wire to help position the knot and keep everything taught seems to work best.  Purpose of this is just to secure the line to allow the frapping to be positioned

post-891-0-75315000-1380463798_thumb.jpg

Step 4: Wrap around the tackle 4 times and secure the end through the last loop.  Once complete, soak in dilute PVA to ensure everything stays positioned

post-891-0-50206300-1380464585_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason, this is really looking nice. I like the detail of the gun tackle.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Glad you didn't wait for an update - the carronade rigging looks really great!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

John, Hamilton, Ferit - appreciate the (overly) kind words!

Stergios - here is a photo trying to show what I was trying to describe with the wire.  Once the knot is tied around the 'central' line (although its all one line obviously), the wire helps one to position the knot where its needed by pulling the knot close around the wire, and then just pulling tight after removing wire.  Much harder to describe than do, hope this makes at least some sense...

post-891-0-61486200-1380669513_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Fully understood now, Jason.

You know, many techniques and surgical procedures in shoulder arthroscopy use to enhance this kind of tip... :)  

I'll need to take your word for that Stergios ;)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Finally completed the carronade/cannon rigging. Next time, I would definitely like to work with some better line, both for visual result and ease of use.

On the cannons, I decided to stick with mounting the tackles to the aft most eye after trying a number of options. One thing that swayed me was looking at a picture of some cannon mounting which actually shows this method, there are examples in a few paintings as well, so I suspect it was done. This also allowed me to keep the hooks consistent across all armaments which I personally like.

post-891-0-80884800-1381009432_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-89187200-1381009285_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-86777600-1381009288_thumb.jpg

Overall pretty happy, so a few pics to celebrate before moving on.

post-891-0-69896700-1381009876_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-00655800-1381010002_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-27955900-1381010005_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jim - yes!  Think I made the process a little harder than it needed to be, but pretty sure I would have spent a lot of time as well if I had to make a bunch of cheeses

Ferit - trying to follow humbly in your footsteps...

Sjors - I don't comment in your log(s) as there seem to be so many others who do ;) , but I'm watching your progress closely as well, thanks for the kind words.  As for next model, I'm going to leave the final decision until the very end of this one....I would love to try something a bit bigger (dare I say the Agamemnon), but also have the Diana or Pegasus on the list.  I'm hoping the Caldercraft Surprise is available by then as well, but that could be a vain hope!  Their 'new' 74 would also be on the cards, but I think there is no hope of seeing that anytime soon.  Also like some of the newer Chris Watton kits that will hopefully be released in near future...so many options when you write them out, this is why I'm waiting to see what is available at the time, and also see where my 'skill level' is and how much I want to bite off.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

It's no problem that you give no comment on my logs.

I know  ( hope ) that you are looking  :D  :D  :D

I think the Surprise is an endless story with Caldercraft  :(

I know that Mobbsie also want to build that.

For the rest you have a few options !

Aggy ….I don't say a thing  :P

Diana, great one !

Pegasus, the same …

I see you have a lot of options…just follow your hart when the time is there !

Then you make the right decision .

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Jason,

I also find myself contemplating the next build to go for.

My two main candidates at the moment are Diana, as I like the look of the step up to quarter galleries, decorated stern and a gun deck, or Warrior as it is very impressive vessel and having visited it in Portsmouth during the summer.

In addition I am considering the mortar vessel convulsion as a smaller cheaper build to test some techniques upon.

My eventual target will be Victory but that will wait until I have bought a house in a couple of years. I need more build space!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I too am considering the Diana as my next build and am also hoping for that Caldercraft 74 to be released. I am also considering purchasing the Amati 74 if all else fails as that looks like a nice kit.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

there are worse things that could happen...

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Have been struggling a bit more with the bowsprit.  Realized that the kit supplied bee is nothing like it should be, so decided to try and build something a little more realistic and include a sheave by visually estimating from builds of others (esp. BEs - once again a big thankyou for that!).  Also added in the various cleats as best interpreted from the plans - sadly, these are once again quite a bit out scale between plans which I'm not sure whether it will lead to to a problem or not, but did my best. 

Good news, I just found the online copy of Steele's masting references http://hnsa.org/doc/steel/, bad news I found it after I was finished.  Good news, the measurements used seemed to be in line with Steele's.  For reference (not trying to beat BE at his game here!), but this helped convince me that they (very luckily) were in right ballpark:

• Bee, per Steele length 18mm, breadth 5.3mm - vs 18mm, 5.5mm on mine
  • Cleats, per Steel length 4mm, thickness 2.4mm - vs 3.5mm and 1.5mm for the collar cleats, and 4.5mm and 2mm for the gammoning cleats

Original kit supplied bee...

post-891-0-93047600-1381422931_thumb.jpg

and the scratch replacement...this is giving me pause.  Although luckily I estimated the sizes OK, the placement is possibly wrong.  I positioned this trying to keep the same placement as the plans, but suspect that this should really be butted up against the cap (?).  As is, its consistent with the plans....

post-891-0-40712900-1381422935_thumb.jpg

Overall end result (needs more touchup, eyebolts and dolphin striker to be added)

post-891-0-75257900-1381423399_thumb.jpg

In position, highlighting another potential problem.  There is next to no room to separate the main and preventer stays which need to sit behind the gammoning cleats as indicated in the plans - again these don't reconcile.  Will just need to move forward as is I think as gammoning cleats seem to be appropriately positioned.

post-891-0-63230300-1381422938_thumb.jpg

Question:  Would I be foolish attaching the bowsprit at this point?  I want to secure this to the deck with a pin rather than just glue, and that will require the bowsprit to be attached before the forward bits.

As always, any and all comments/suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I agree. It is so much easier to work on a mast or yard when it is off the ship than on the ship. 

Mort

Don't think I expressed myself very well, I intend to 'finish' the bowsprit before fixing, the key thing is that because I would like to pin it to the deck, the forward bits can't be installed until that's done, which then means that other deck fittings probably need to wait as well.  I'd like to get the bowsprit installed and then can finish the deck off.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Beautiful work Jason. For your next model - with your skills I can't imagine any kit that is out of your reach!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)