HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

After completing the hull coppering, moved onto the rudder.  This felt a bit like the last 385 yards at the end of the 26 mile marathon!  Had to file down the rudder openings and the pintles so they were fully square, square needle file a flat needle file did this easily enough with a bit of patience.  Care is needed to make sure the gudgeons are installed in the right spot, I decide to first get the rudder positioned correctly and install the top gudgeon first and use this as a basis for the others to ensure all are supporting the rudder.  Simple matter with thick CA glue.

Small holes are needed to be drilled in the sternpost to accomodate the cast 'nail' on the gudgeons, care is definitely needed with these, the last one broke off while dryfitting.   Hopefully I won't regret this, but I simply glued this to the sternpost as the others should bear a lot of the strain.

post-891-0-88662700-1361763437.jpg

post-891-0-65683800-1361763452_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-49319100-1361764491.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Once work on the mounting hardware was done, moved onto the coppering (of course) and other finishings aspects.  I did not bother to copper the sternpost or the front side of the rudder as these cannot really be seen, and simply painted these copper.  Coppering the rudder was definitely a challenge due to the rudder mounting recesses. 

Overall pretty happy, and just the mounting straps to go before being able to move back to the deck with conviction.

post-891-0-01582900-1361764070.jpg

post-891-0-60918300-1361764119_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-98523500-1361764135.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Blue Ensign - appreciate you stopping by, please feel free to make any comments or suggestions anytime.  The Snake instructions are totally silent on the matter, its one of their older offerings and the instructions are very rudimentary compared to the newer kits, but you're right, copper paint is the way to go.

Jim, Stergios - hope its useful, I did for get to add the comment that I wasn't 100% sure that the waterline at the stern was in the right place.  Despite many repeated measurements earlier in the process it looks like copper upper edge at the rudder is maybe 5mm too low.  Nothing I can do about it now, it looks fine to me, but your results may vary slightly.

I also decided to wipe over the copper plates with a metal cleaner - because it took me so long to do the coppering I had a lot of fingerprints from handling the hull and the oxidation was accelerated in these areas.  It worked nicely, bringing the copper back to a slightly duller hue (it wasn't a polish) and slightly more 'pink'.  Results were not dramatic, and you can see (or not!) the result in the middle picture in the post above.  I will leave the copper to gradually tarnish and hopefully this will be a little bit more even now.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

You did a nice job on the rudder. The only problem you've got now, is to keep your greasy fingers off the coppered hull. That'll mean you'll have to work with gloves ;):D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That coppering looks great.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort, Sjors - thanks for kind words

Carl - maybe an excuse to put tools down for a bit!

Stergios - At the stern I have 7 uninterupted plates before needing a stealer, at the bow I could only go with 5 because of the difference in the hull shape.  I would definitely do some  dryfitting to ensure this works for you as I suspect small changes in hull shape could make you want to adjust.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

Put your feet up for a while, else you might get weary of it.

Don't worry, I'm still enjoying this enormously and moving onto fresh challenges.   If it hasn't already been named, there has to be a fundamental law of model ship building that states that the amount of work completed in a given period of time follows an inverse square relationship to the fraction of a day worked.

For example, it takes 4 times the amount of time to acheive the same result if you can only work of the ship in 1/2 day (4 hrs) sessions, and 16 times the amount of time if you can only devote 1/4 day (2hr) blocks of time.

I need to give this some more thought :) ... but the statement by Caldercraft about the Snake that it can be built in 3 months with evening work has to be questionable!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

You are correct. There is no way one can build this kit in 3 months and this is not a knock on the kit. I am very happy with it.  Does any one have any idea if these ships had gunports? I am thinking of adding them as the deck seems very exposed to the sea and would like some feedback on this.

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Hi Jason,

You are correct. There is no way one can build this kit in 3 months and this is not a knock on the kit. I am very happy with it.  Does any one have any idea if these ships had gunports? I am thinking of adding them as the deck seems very exposed to the sea and would like some feedback on this.

Mort

Agree Mort, gald I made the choice to go with Caldercraft as a first build, and even though the instructions are a little light (this being an older kit), the support and help from this site is invaluable.  Its taken me about a year to get to this point, but it really doesn't feel it and I've never felt the urge to rush.

As for the query on the gunports, interesting question!  I would agree that these would certainly be wet ships, but whatever resources I've seen (paintings, NMM plans etc) there does not seem to be any indication that they had them.  I wonder if there was some sort of temporary cover that captains would have installed?

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Stergios, here is the product I used on the copper.  I've been proved a liar as it clearly states that it is a 'metal polish' on the bottle, but despite the promise to 'shine' it really didn't, which was good in my view.  I just made sure to wipe down afterwards to ensure that no residue remained.  I think the simplist thing for you to do is just to try what you have on a plate and see how it turns out before committing to the whole hull.

post-891-0-07070600-1361938180_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

Mort

Got to agree with this sentiment as well. I am rapidly approaching my three month mark in build time and, barring a week away, I have worked weeknights and one day a weekend on my build. Only just about finished the coppering. I think three months would be possible if you were lucky enough to be retired and could dedicate several days a week to the build.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

what a lovely job you have made - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Noxon has been around forever. We  used it when I was in the Army to polish our uniform brass. It was great stuff.

Mort

what a lovely job you have made - well done

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words Kevin, your Victory build is looking very nice indeed.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Started to tackle what is really the last task to be done before I can safely keep the old girl permanently on her keel and start getting the deck fitted out...installing the straps.

The instructions are very light in this area and it took me quite a while to figure out a system.  I only have one side of the rudder complete at this point, but started on the rudder as I thought it would be easier to handle and build skills before tackling the hull straps.  I was concerned with the pins protruding too far as I assume that these would probably have been flush, but I'm not sure its possible to achieve that with the supplied materials.  I was pretty pleased with the result, the pins don't seem to be any more noticeable than the nail heads on the plates.

Heres how I tackled it...hopefully I haven't made any newbie gaffs:

1. Prepainted the straps with metal primer and copper paint
  2. Marked the center point of the rear of the strap and pre-bent on a piece of 3mm dowel
  3. Spot glued the strap to the pintle only
  4. Once I'd ensured the strap was perpendicular to the forward edge of the rudder, drilled a small (0.6mm) hole in both of the end holes (found the smaller bits drilled through the copper more easily).  This seemed to secure the strap sufficiently to be able to work on the rest
  5. Enlarged the hole to 0.8mm (If positioned correctly, the hole from opposite sides will meet)
  6. Enlarged the strap hole further to 1.0mm to allow the pin head to be countersunk to some degree
  7. Using the brass pins supplied (couldn't find any others I should use), I cut these down approximately half the thickness of the rudder, put thick CA glue on the bottom of the pin and inserted into the hole

Repeated this step for all the other holes and painted.  Of course, my small diameter bit broke so will need to find a replacement. 

post-891-0-10141700-1362022005.jpg

post-891-0-01109700-1362022007.jpg

post-891-0-43216200-1362022006.jpg

post-891-0-85959100-1362022005.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Rudder looks good. I like the metal straps, although coppered, they still are in nice contrast to the coppering of the hull

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Rudder looks good. I like the metal straps, although coppered, they still are in nice contrast to the coppering of the hull

Hi Carl, I agree it is a nice contrast.  The copper paint is supposed to have actual copper in the paint, and according to Caldercraft the paint is supposed to tarnish just as copper would.  Interesting to see how this plays out...

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Well, the straps took a bit longer than I had hoped, but I'm having bit of a whisky and cigar moment...

Broke 2 small drill bits in the process but pretty happy with the way they turned out.  I found getting the placement right to be a bit of a challenge on the hull as the the shine on the copper, the curve of the hull and the lines of the copper plates all seem to conspire to make you a little cross eyed - and even when they are perpendicular to the sternpost, they don't look to be.  I found the painting to be a chore yet again.  The Admiralty metal primer acrylic I'm using gives good coverage, but the copper paint like all metals required many many thin coats to get a solid look. 

QUESTION - any advice on whether the rudder should be secured to the hull in some way, or is it OK just to leave it gravity like real life?

post-891-0-22447600-1362538898.jpg

post-891-0-35044400-1362538899.jpg

post-891-0-26996200-1362538900.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Very nice. I found with my rudder, the rigging lines for the tiller do a pretty good job of holding it in place, while providing enough spring so that should it get knocked about, no damage will be done.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy