HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

My humble opinion is that there is probably little to be gained by filing down the rivets, you can get a pretty close fit as is which is really not noticeable - hadn't even really thought about it until you asked the question!  Interesting idea, would love to see how you tackle it if you decide to go down that path.  I think I'd be more worried about getting scratches on the copper plates.

The colour I used is Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth - unfortunately my local store doesn't have much selection.  I tried the Admiralty walnut but thought it too bright, and I'm not very good (I found) at mixing colours.

Ok thank you very much Jason. I have just been looking at my components for the rudder and they look slightly different to yours. Did you widen the recesses in the rudder and if so why ?

Pete

Previous build -  HM Schooner Pickle
Current build -    HMS Snake 1:64
Future Build -      Sergal Cutty Sark

Did you widen the recesses in the rudder and if so why ?

Pete

Hi Pete - I didn't widen them, all I did was to square the corners up to allow the gudgeon and pintles to seat properly.  If I remember correctly, these also needed some filing to get them nicely squared up.  Nothing tricky, just the usual patience needed and was happy with the way things turned out.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Ok thank you, sorry to use your images, but I was wondering whether you have made the pintles shorter(image1) because when I put mine together you can see the pintle protrudes through the gudgeon ( unlike yours in image2)

Pete - Yes, I did trim the pintle, otherwise it wasn't possible to mount the rudder with the gudgeons already attached to the sternpost.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Pete - Yes, I did trim the pintle, otherwise it wasn't possible to mount the rudder with the gudgeons already attached to the sternpost.

Thanks very much for all your help Jason, I should be able to complete the rudder after the rest of the coppering is complete!

Pete

Previous build -  HM Schooner Pickle
Current build -    HMS Snake 1:64
Future Build -      Sergal Cutty Sark

Jason,

Just poppin' in. A bit busy at the work front. Very nice job on the chainplates, and the rudder.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, good to hear from you

Building 18 carronades is quite frankly, tedious!  Haven't had much in the way of build time recently but I'm getting close - they are simply very fiddly and with so many to do its a task I need to break up.  Worked on getting some more of the structural bow details on, namely the timberheads and the fore pinrail. I had already cut the holes for the pins of the pinrsil before I had installed the fore platform as it would be next to impossible to do afterwards.  Photos are pretty self explanatory.

I decided to try and shape the timberheads a bit to give them less of a 'cut out of plywood' look which was pretty straightforward.  First picture shows the before and after comparison.

One thing I'm not sure of and as always would appreciate comments and suggestions.  The second photo shows the side profile once complete, and I have timberhead sitting right over the bridleport which doesn't seem quite right.  These were placed into the holes pre-cut in the capping rail, but books I references seem to indicate that these would have been adjacent to the port (see second picture).  The difference is quite a bit and the plans are less than clear on this.  Not sure I can change anything, but I wonder if the capping rails should have met at the front of the bow, this would be closer but still not completely right.  It would also prevent the bowsprit from fitting unless the ends were trimmed.  None of this is mentioned in the instructions of course, and of course it wasn't apparent until I was cleaning my paintbrush!  Are the knightheads too far apart, should they be closer to the bowsprit?

post-891-0-32027000-1371409838_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-95463900-1371409838_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-48343500-1371409839_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-21701200-1371409862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

I see that you also make your samson posts ( or timber heads )

But one question…..those at the front, are they not to big?

Because mine are all the same size if you look at the picture at the San Ildefonso ( if you can find them  :) ) ( picture 548 at page 37 )

For the rest it looks great!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

But one question…..those at the front, are they not to big?

Hi Sjors, the ones at the front are (I believe) called knightheads and should be taller.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Beautiful work, Jason! Re, the knightheads - I'm not too sure, but the knighthead's I've seen are normally either side of the bowsprit - it might have been different with the Snake, and it's also possible that I get this idea from exceptional (and potentially incorrect) models! Others can confirm.

Also - the timberheads would actually be the ends of the frames, so they wouldn't run in line of the gunports, as far as I know....I wonder if you could cut it off, sand it down, refinish and place the timberhead forward of the gunport...again others can confirm

She looks fantastic in any case!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton, you're too kind...and I'm still pondering.

After some reading I found the following (not for the Snake of course), clearly shows the timberhead above a port, so that could be OK.  However, this also shows the knightheads much closer to the bowsprit (as Hamilton describes) and sort of what I would have expected for this to be a pretty fundamental to any ship design.  I'll wait for others thoughts and opinions before I resort to anything drastic with the knightheads.

post-891-0-52435700-1371435301_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Great build nice and sharp lines in your work. I'll be waiting for more pics!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Jason, I have looked at the framing on Pegasus, the ports sit between frames but there are filler frames below and above the ports some of which are extended to a timberhead, one being directly above the Bridle port, but there are also a couple further aft.

The knightheads were intended to give lateral support to the bowsprit, and certainly on Pegasus sit close either side; the arrangement you show wouldn't fulfil this purpose so I think there may be some doubt as to the  accuracy of their position.

B.E.

Thanks all for the comments...

This is why I seem to make such slow progress, decided that I couldn't live with the knightheads as they were so had a go at fixing.  Photos pretty self explanatory, removed the paint, loosened the PVA glue by saturating with rubbing alchohol and filled the holes.  I then shortened the knightheads by the thickness of the rail and pinned securely in place. Much happier with the result and the deviation from the plans, I'll leave everything else as is.

post-891-0-56792100-1371522075_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-23782300-1371522076_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-65309500-1371522076_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-07389200-1371522077_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

That looks great Jason,

A real improvement !

Nice fix  :)

And a amazing paint job….

You can not even see where the first knightheads where...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

The all knightheads are following the inclination of the hull as continuation of frames...

I can see the planking of the forecaste deck and through the openning of the bowsprit, the planking of the main deck... Even their lines fit each other.

Superb symmetry in all... You are like a 5-axis CNC machine... :D

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Jason

The knighthead fix is very well done! And it's a good thing that BE clarified the timberhead question (now I can add that to my modelling lore, as well and free myself from many mistakes!). The model now looks even more beautiful than before!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Richard, Hamilton - thanks for the kind words

Ferit - You're far too kind!  There are a number of items that of course I see and wished I could have gone back to redo, but I'm happy with the learning experience.  I love a quote that I saw on someone else's log "Thats what first builds are all about, second builds"

Anja, David, ZyXuz, Timmo, Sjors, Andy, Jim - thanks for the birthday wishes!  When I saw all the comments I was thinking that somehow there must have been a lot of progress on my ship while I was sleeping...but sadly no :)  I've not been able to get much time in the shipyard recently, but I can feel her calling out to me...too many outside projects and nice weather.

Jim - looking forward to see you moving forward again!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

Happy Birthday mate, have a good one.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-