HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

Hey Steve, and thanks...usually i build it my head about three times first then adapt as stuff happens, which it always seems to :)  the cardboard spacer is an example.  THX again.

J

Hi,

Just thought I'd stop by with a quick update, no pics yet later today maybe, been working on the casting provided by Corel. The stern decorations and the figure head, most of mine had some register issues during casting so there has been a lot of file work to make them presentable, plus the "gold" plating was flaking off most, so painting was required.  Again pics to follow later today, but first a question: does anyone out there know why the lions used as the figurehead and along the ship sides are RED? :huh:

Hi,

Just thought I'd stop by with a quick update, no pics yet later today maybe, been working on the casting provided by Corel. The stern decorations and the figure head, most of mine had some register issues during casting so there has been a lot of file work to make them presentable, plus the "gold" plating was flaking off most, so painting was required.  Again pics to follow later today, but first a question: does anyone out there know why the lions used as the figurehead and along the ship sides are RED? :huh:

Hi J,

Nice job,

really looks nice!

As I understood -  lions used as the figurehead- just good simbol of POWER! as far as I can see on many galleons contemporary drwngs - lions very often used ...I think it is the simplest explanation  :)  ...and not only galleon age but later on, this variations of lions were in use

may be more often on navy vessel? 

Abt red ship side I'm not so sure if it is ness-ry to use this color on HM ,if she is not navy vessel(trade vessels -brown or dark wood or natural wood color),and need to be colored red in case of "Yes"

red color- I think mostly matter of fashion for navy than need to have it for some practice purposes

But if You painted it red -it will not be mistake because in this time merchant vessels easily became navy and most of the time they have same armament...

Actually it should not be really red color, need to be more close to red ochre - blood red

there is good Rolf Hoeckel book "Modellbau von Schiffen des 16 und 17 Jahrhunderts" where he told abt painting/color...

there is HM replica - red color

but on this picture of merchant dutch vessel - no red color and no figurehead ....I think in both cases You will be right, which color scheme You will choose

(sorry my English)

All the best!

Kirill

post-12251-0-68791000-1396697478_thumb.jpg

post-12251-0-89318600-1396698277_thumb.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Hey Krill,

Thanks for the quick response and the information, I did end up painting the figurehead a dull red, mainly because of all the file work needed to make it presentable.  Don't concern yourself with your English, you are very understandable.

THX

J

Hey All,
Up and coming are the pics I promised in the earlier post, a synopsis first.  As I mentioned in an earlier entry all of the castings suffered from registration issues during casting.
  The halves were offset by a minimum of 1- 2 mm, plus the "gold" plating was in nasty shape, flaking and peeling.
  I thought with a little work they might be serviceable so I set down with rotary cutters and files, and hand files to see what I could do.  The stern plaques cleaned up pretty well straight away and each was drilled and a pin affixed to the back to facilitate mounting to the stern.
 Work then started on the piece for the top of the transom, it was offset in two directions and took the most work to make presentable, after grinding it down to a reasonable shape  I set to work opening up center section of the piece.   After that a brass brush was used to clean up all the flaking.  Each part was then primed and allowed to dry before finish painting.

While the parts were drying I went back to the hull and completed the decking to replace what was torn out when I removed the kit timberheads, I then glued in spacers for the inner bulwark planking to be attached to, once this is done new timberheads will be glued to the new planking.  Pics follow, thanks for looking in.
J

post-3847-0-08006000-1396711136.jpg

post-3847-0-48831800-1396711136.jpg

post-3847-0-79964400-1396711136.jpg

post-3847-0-10328000-1396711137.jpg

post-3847-0-41731000-1396711137.jpg

post-3847-0-76980200-1396711137.jpg

Hi J,

paint jobs done very nice...neatly...

did You finish painting or will use "washing" to lift up decor relief and make it more expressive like this blue part of emblem?

On deck - as I understood there should be scuppers( bulwark cutted through,like we can see on replica) and water-way planks installed?

Sorry for stupid question, I'm not familiar with wooden modelling and don't know the "regulation" You follow building Your  model, may be idea was just follow kit instruction ,but from other side I saw You already replaced mast tops for more correct type...

All the Best!

Kirill

Hi J

your Half Moon Comes really good. I am so excited to see the final result... will always follow your log

best wishes

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Thanks fellows,

Krill,  I may use a dark wash to weather the pieces in a bit and as you pointed out it will add depth...not sure yet, also there are no stupid questions!  As far as scuppers are concerned, the kit instructions don't mention them but I think that might be what the lion's heads that will eventually be mounted on the sides of the Hull may be, anyone out there know for sure??  Thanks for your kind words.

Max, the final result may be months away as yet,  :huh:  but thanks for your kind words and continued support.

J

Hi J

I red marked what I meant-scappers - see ,practicaly they made them much more in q-ty compare to the drwng...

Lion Heads on the sides , if we are talking abt the same - for sails rigging

there are more pctrs which could be usefull https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=half+moon+replica in case You didn't see them

this is nice and historical acurate replica - there are a few in the world which build with such good quality,but not like tourists show :)

Regarding washing for decor - by my opinion, if it used w/o "fanatism"  :D it always makes positive results -could say as "plastic man" :)

at least for the gold part of your decor...white -should be washed very-very light or not at all

All The Best 

K i r i l l 

post-12251-0-60068500-1396735002_thumb.jpg

post-12251-0-90875500-1396735005_thumb.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Hey Krill,

I see what you mean now, I'm not sure about adding them at his stage though, I've got the outer hull finished and am not sure about holing the finished product at this point, thanks again,

J

I didn't add the scuppers either....I hadn't done much research....not until I got to the railings.  I did the lion in gold.   I have most of the pictures shown.   I left some of the kit influence in the build.   we seem to have the beginnings of a Half Moon club going on here  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello J,Hello Popeye

Yes,J, absolutely agree - if planking finished - better don't cut ,just left it as it is...with plastic it is very easy to recover later adjustments,but for wood...i think better don't toch

" we seem to have the beginnings of a Half Moon club going on here"

Yes, Why not :D as for me - I like galleon type and HM as one of them...since 2009 my interests all the time running around this subject,looking for information abt spanish galleon I acted as vacuum cleaner :D and collected all info which I can found abt galleons in common and HM in particular even never build it...HM - look nice, hull and decoration and rigging...first glance -looks simple ,but when You be busy with construction it became not so simple...

By my opinion there are two ways building kit (wooden or plastic ,doesn't matter) - just assemble as it is in the kit box as accurate as possible ...or try to  build using available information as much(as could) as possible :)

I can see that this kit quite accurate reproduction of historical research and could be built very close to existing sailing replica,of cause we can talk just abt one of the HM version :)

Advantages- those people who build HM sailing replica already did a lot of research and built sailing vessel , looking at rigging plan and hull lines (blue one,above) I can see that it was developed very close to the contemporary drwngs of small duch galleon and kit's hull lines , as I can see -done in the same way...so finaly model also will looks very nice and historical accurate...

however some remarks frm my side as exterior spectator

1. during building spar(masts and yards) need to check/adjust their length and proportion, those from the kit looks disproportionately big,at least in height of the masts and topmasts...I don't know abt diam - need to recalculate

check and adjust masts and top masts and flagstaf construction and the way of connection 

2.discard kit rigging scheme as inaccurate( too much mistakes) - better use those from existing replica

3.carefully check and adjust thikness of rigging ropes - standing and running rigging should have set of various diameters ,for the model it could be simplified like ,for example fore stay and main stay - same diam, fore and main shrouds -same diam , etc, but masts and topmasts stay and their shrouds need to be different in diam ///and so on regarding rest of the rope

this table(in attach) will help to easilly recalculate diam of the standing and running rigging  depend on main mast diam. measured where it penetrates deck planking...not sure abt used metric system in this table ,if it is comfortably to use

thread for rigging need to be used w/o pile,which is looks unsightly on the model - there are some simple trics to solve such problem( candle flame-just fast pull thread trough, or special bee wax or replace for polyester threads of ness-ry diam.)

4.blocks for running rigging need to be at least 3 different diam.- in case of max. simplification,actually their size should be calculated depend on ropes diameters.

shape of the kit blocks ,as usual, is wrong (need to be more oval and w/o such sharp edges), but correct shape blocks available - need to buy separately,they a little bit more expensive,but looks absolutelly different and nice ...but incorrect blocks ,by my own opinion , just killing nice built models...nice and precission made rigging -may be 70% of model impression :)

Uph, wrote too much  :D but this observations, as exterior spectator,may be have sence...at least for me :)

All The Best!

Kirill

oops

this table ,for rope diam.calculation,all terms in russian...useless...I need to translate in english...will take time

here is the table -auto calculation ropes  thicknes for standing rigging,  

http://files.mail.ru/24119DE76F2E44389306AA8EC6EA5285

sizes of running rigging ropes -refer to Rolf Hoeckel

book "Modellbau von Schiffen des 16 und 17 Jahrhunderts"

Thanks for all the info Krill, hey Popeye, does seem to have a club atmosphere...do you think we can get shirts? ;)

J

More to share...was able to get the inner bulwark planking completed, pre-cut and painted some white wood strips then just glued them up to the spacers, ran up the sides and just trimmed off the excess.
  Also took the time to make some new rope "carving" for the transom...the kit supplied some really thin gilt thread, didn't like it at all and I could just envision the mess trying to glue it in place :huh:   so I spun some polyester twine up on the rope walk, coated it in liquid CA and painted it gold...think it will enhance the medallions once mounted to the stern.  Well that's all for this week, thanks for looking in.  Pics follow.
J

post-3847-0-48611500-1396814601.jpg

post-3847-0-84165400-1396814601.jpg

post-3847-0-23232700-1396814602.jpg

post-3847-0-58105200-1396814602.jpg

post-3847-0-90081300-1396814602.jpg

post-3847-0-24255000-1396814603.jpg

post-3847-0-57447300-1396814603.jpg

post-3847-0-84805700-1396814603.jpg

post-3847-0-16195900-1396814604.jpg

looking good J.........I think the powers of  'the bash'  is strong with you!  ;)   I'll have to look,  and see how many gun port lids are along the side.   according to the picture I have,  there are only two.   yours has four.  very nice progress indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

It's fun watching the waxing Moon!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks all,

Popeye...in the presence of the bash Jedi I am but a mere Padawan learner...

Steve...glad you're enjoying the show...I'm following you're Shenandoah build and look fwd to each entry

THX again

J

Not much of an update but a few thing are done, finished mounting the false timberheads, got the aft stowage boxes veneered, and started making the waterways.

Those are going to be fiddly, filling and fitting around the timberheads, pics follow.

post-3847-0-87083400-1397427540.jpg

post-3847-0-21911600-1397427541.jpg

post-3847-0-52156300-1397427541.jpg

post-3847-0-81503200-1397427541.jpg

post-3847-0-14067400-1397427542.jpg

post-3847-0-41078000-1397427542.jpg

looking good J !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's some precision fitting of the waterways. Looking very good. What stain did you use for your decking?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks guys,

No stain yet Steve, just open wood at this point, been debating(with self) weather to stain or  just oil them...leaning towards a stain to even out the color but I don't want them to dark...back and forth I go, your thoughts are welcome

THX

J

they look pretty good.....I'd just seal them. gonna look great when the grain work pops out :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ended up using a very light cherry stain/urethane mix, my plan is to steel wool this so it's lighter in the main areas and a little darker in the corners and such...slight weathered effect is what I'm after.  I'll let you know how it goes and post pics of the result, all the smaller water ways are sized still have the two for the main decks to file and fit...no pics as yet.  Thanks for the input and support

J

I'm looking forward to seeing the deck after treatment.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Pretty close to getting pics, all the waterways are filled, they are drying after a coat of poly, the decks are buffed out, may hit them again...still deciding, and did some touch up on the bulwarks, if not tomorrow Friday for sure, off for the holiday

THX

J

Those decks look great. I like the variations in color and the gleam when viewed from just the right angle. They look used--not fresh from the showroom floor. This ship is really coming together. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)