HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

NICE!!!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

J, those darkened lion's heads complement the dark hull very well. What were they for?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks alot Steve...that's a really good question...I originally thought they we're scuppers but a look at the drawings show rigging lines running through them, I have to assume they're just decorative and their intent is to protect the hull, same as the hawes holes were lined, but I'm guessing here.  Perhaps one of our  more knowledgeable cohorts will chime in??

J

they will will be used as sheaves for the lower sheet tack lines.   I would imagine you've already drilled the holes to complete them.  

post-612-0-69061900-1400582290_thumb.jpg

arranges the way they are,  they will require cleats to terminate the rigging.  here are the cleat locations for the Billing's half Moon

post-612-0-41264100-1400582714_thumb.jpg

I mentioned not having these sheave plates for the Billing's kit.......sad to find that the Billing kit doesn't show them.   

post-612-0-63669900-1400583340_thumb.jpg

the function of these sheaves are decorative........but the main function is to protect the ropes as they go through the bulwarks......reduce rubbing and becoming frayed

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great info, Popeye, thanks!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

As Steve said...THX Popeye, so we're protecting the lines and not the hull  :D I always was a little back asswards :P  glad you posted the Billings Deck plan...I'll have to double check the Corel plan, don't have it in front of me now, but I don't remember it showing cleats in those positions!  I'd have these really cool lion heads with lines running through them with no where to go!!!

THX

J

I still want to go to Hobby Lobby and see if they have anything.    be just my luck........all they have is  'hello kitty'  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's all looking very good.

Just noticed that I can't see the photo's at the beginning of your buildlog anymore ;)

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

Popeye, I think Hello Kitty faces on the sides of the hull would lend it great dignity. Go for it, sir!

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks Nick...I cant either, wonder whats up with that?  Hey Popeye, I think Steve may have something there Hello Kitty might just add a certain je ne sais quoi to the build :D

:D  :D  :D   AWESOME!!!  with your first post.....it made me wonder....."why,  is Tina Turner coming?" :D    I do apologize Steve....I saw your post,  and since this is J's log,  I didn't want to add to it.........but it seems that J is more computer savvy than I thought!!!  :D  :D

all kidding aside........ahhhhhhhh,  no.  I think I'll wait and see if I can find something more  'in line'  with the period  :D   thanx!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had a look into the Hobby Lobby angle..........even took a trip into C.W. Moore's........that's a negatory,  good buddy.  I think I'll be sending a request in to Corel to see if they can help me out.  perhaps I'll send that Hello Kitty picture you did to them.........maybe they'll do it out of pity!  :D  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A little more to report on...got more of the deck furniture made and mounted and started making the cleats, pics follow

post-3847-0-93431300-1401400357_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-35987100-1401400358_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-89608400-1401400358_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-31619100-1401400359_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-66761900-1401400359_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-07325500-1401400360_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-49545800-1401400360_thumb.jpg

she's looking good J..........making cleats looks very tedious.   looks like a sort of plywood your using......is there a threat of chipping?  it might be better to use a piece of strip stock ......something like 2 mm thick.   do they supply them in the kit?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Cleats are not too bad so far, the steps you see here only took about 7min counting the photo time...a little more in the layout though.  This is strip stock...what looks like a ply core is just burn marks from the sanding drum, I plan to run a pin up through them to add some strength and to secure them to the deck and wales.  nothing supplied in the kit, in fact when you look up the part number to see what stock to use it says "wood".  This is 2X6mm euro walnut.  Still a lot of shaping to do.

J

oh......so there's no difference there  ;)    might as well tell you that in the instructions  :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Seems it's something all the kits have in common...I remember scratching my head alot when I built my Enterprise, that was an old Golden Kits.

some progress om my HM,  got the cleats made and mounted both forward per the Corel plans and midships as in the Billings plans Popeye provided.  Chain plates were mounted and the deadeyes wired and mounted and the plates oiled they will get a coat of poly later in the week.  Pics follow, thanks for your interest.

J

post-3847-0-70239700-1402241826_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-19627400-1402241827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-72662800-1402241827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-22946800-1402241828_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-71671400-1402241828_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-25203300-1402241829_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-71353200-1402241829_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-12646900-1402241830_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-51511500-1402241830_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-94975000-1402241830_thumb.jpg

The ship is looking so good, J. Thanks for detailing how you make cleats. That makes sense and is going into my how-to-do-it file.

I've been thinking, half of "moon" could be "MO," "ON," "MN," or "OO." Have you decide yet which one you're going to call her?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hi J. Nice build , Looks great, Very nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

"Thx Steve and Pete... thinking  the "oo" my be the best option...MO is Missouri...MN Minnesota... ON is on, seems OO so the only thing not taken :P