Just received a Model Shipways Mayflower kit and I have to vent. The plywood used is terrible! Every piece is warped to a degree. Only the primary ply, of which there are only three, is blemish free and not patched with wood filler. The laser etch for marking lines burnt right down to the center ply which has large empty areas and therefore snap. Now the center ply is 66 percent of the thickness of the piece and that is laser glazed. Can't think of a worse surface to adhere planking to. I know, they will be replaced with the same quality. I'll probably cut my own from 5 ply birch from Michael's (like was what used to be used), just kinda defeats the whole kit idea, and doubles the expense. I was trying to save some modeling time which is limited. But scratch building really seems the way to go, much less frustrating. Haven't built any of the European kits, but the photos in all the blogs look like much better materials as far as formers and bulkheads go. It so annoying getting something and having to wait on replacements that may be the same.

Sorry but I had to vent.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Kurt:

Contact Model Expo. They will replace whatever you need free of charge. That is their policy.

Russ

Maybe time for go to the dark side (scratch) ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I have been in contact with them and also to Marc in another part of the forum. I know, they will replace them, but with what. The same thing? I have had this kit before And it was with decent 5 ply, that's what Chuck designed it with. I've looked at some builds that are still around on the net and 5 ply! I contacted them earlier today and asked if I paid for decent plywood would they make a set up with that, so we'll see. Maybe with Marc back in the reigns, things will go back to the way they used to be. I have some decent plywood, but I'm in a real small apartment now and don't have my bandsaw or scroll saw anymore. Do have a coping saw, but that's gonna cut into my time and probably not be as neat. We'll see.

Kurt

One of the reasons I was so mad about this was that I am on vacation this week and wanted to spend some time modeling. I can't do much with out the false keel former. Model Expo never replies to requests, it just shows up in the mail in a week or so.  I looked locally but couldn't find any good ply in 3/16, they had 1/8 and 1/4 and only 12 inches long, I need 15 inches. I found some 4 ply aircraft grade plywood from Balsa USA for only 3.50 so that's on order as backup.

I am trying to fix this thing just for something to do. I glued it together and it's under about 50 lbs of weights. Naturally the cracks go down the center of where the bulkheads will fit. I will try and scab the joints with some 1/64 boxwood I have on both sides. Then I'll widen the bulkhead slot enough to accommodate the added width of the former at those spots. Sounds good in theory.  I will have to take out some windage with some bracing too as it twists in the area of the high stern on this ship. This will end up as a solid hull, but I'll definitely have a surface to plank on.  Scratch building makes so much more sense.

Well the keel former is back in one piece. It's presently under weights again to try and lessen some windage in the high stern area. I'm sure that with adequate bracing that can be corrected. I plugged the voids in the middle ply that when from top to bottom which should help. In those areas the former was depending on only the 1/32 in outer ply, not much strength there. I will make this work, it will look like Rube Goldberg probably, but that gets all covered up.  When I get straightened out I'm sure that the replacement will come.

I give up! I've just spent 8 days of my vacation trying to fix this thing. I made reinforcements at every bulkhead because everyone was compromised by the laser etching, the keel former was completely broken  along three of these. I tried to adjust for the twisting of the piece as well. I got to the last aft bulkhead and it broke in 2 more  new places. I now I have three separate chunks of hull. And even if I get it back together into one solid piece, I don't know if I can fare it. My entire vacation was wasted. I have not heard from Model Expo yet. But I am going to try and get replacements. I will have to think about whether I will by any more of their kits.