gift kit

darr

Hi there , 

this isnt for me but my dad who had a heart attack some time back and is now more of less retired .. the other night there was an advert of TV for a magazine and a model ship ( over like 120 weeks and a cost of over a 1000 euro) anyways this sparked a conversation about that he used do this type of wooden ship building when he was young and he would like to try it again .. 

so I had a look and was looking for some advice .. is there any complete kits you can buy and by complete I mean starter kits .. so with tools and a 100% parts complete model set you can buy ..

I would like to see some options and then he could pick which one to go for if anyone knows of such kits ..

the only one I have seen was this http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2027SP

any others out there ? ...

he would be fairly ok with his hands and following detailed instructions 

thanks all and sorry if this was asked before but I dont have a clue .. I like boats but I race em not build em ( thundercat type)

Darr 

Darr,

Nature Coast Hobby Shop also sells this sort of kit/tool combo.  Personally, I would be cautious about buying something like this, as the tools included might or might not be something your dad would find useful, and for the prices listed you can probably buy a kit and some basic tools for less.  If your dad has not modeled anything in a while, I'd recommend one of the kits from Midwest Products to get old skills back up to speed.  These kits are inexpensive (and can usually be found on eBay for significantly less than retail), have good instructions, and always include a thorough list of needed tools, some of which are likely already in your dad's house somewhere.

Kind regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello Darr,

It would probably be a good idea to  indicate country of residence.  I am thinking it might be the UK? In which case the availability of Bluejacket , Mid west, and model Shipways products  is somewhat limited. If this is the case Take a look at Cornwall Model Boats.  They carry a comprehensive selection of all the European  manufactures and their prices are very competitive. I agree the simpler the better would be a good choice.

Kip

Hi Darr,

Here's a couple of articles to look at: 

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/materials_and_tools/HandTools.pdf

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/ModelShipKitsexpect.pdf

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/KitSelection.pdf

Depending on what country you're located in will pretty much drive any decisions.  Since there was a commercial and the price in Euros, I'm assuming you're on the east side of the Atlantic...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all , I'll check out the links .. while your right in that he might have all the tools he was invloved in electrics for heavy industry and they may be at the other end of the scale size :) .

located in Ireland but the company I work for have offices in the US and I can generally get any sent from there . 

I would hate to have get him one only for him to start and then go oh now you need this and it will be a few weeks before that arrives etc etc .. 

again thank you all .

Darr

Also I know this type of question has probably been asked a 1000 times so I very much do appreciate the responses 

Edited by darr

Cornwall Model Boats also stock a very good range of tools as well as some tool packages (that may not be so useful) at competitive prices. Once you have looked at the links to the tools lists already posted by Mark, you'll find you can buy them from CMB.

If your dad has already expressed the interest and he knows you are doing this for him, you might like to ask him what tools he would like.

Another approach would be to buy the kit and then ask him what tools he would like to go with it after he has had a poke around the wood that is supplied with the kit, the instructions, etc.

You might be into buying glue of two types (cyano-acrylate and PVA), tweezers, lots of cheap clamps, knives with spare blades, pin vice with micro drill bits, and razor saw with mitre box as well as paint set and brushes if he decides to paint. You'll find that many of the kits come with a recommended paint set.

You may also find that if you buy a tool set that some of the included tools are never used as they are not really useful.

Tony

Hi Darr

Most of the tools used in model ship building are very easy to get hold of so I would not worry too much about waiting for weeks. It is better to start building with a very basic toolkit and buy or borrow as you go along or in some cases use the excellent tips that are available through this forum to use everyday objects as tools e.g. I use the Admiral's nail files (not the glass ones, not that stupid) to sand in small and difficult places as they can be cut down to virtually any shape.

I agree with those recommending Cornwall Model Boats but I also use Ebay and Amazon and other online stockists and delivery is usually within a couple of days.

Regards

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Thanks again all .. 

ok have spotted http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/corel_ranger.html

or http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/constructo-albatros.html

or http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/vm_lady_nelson.html

I had a look here and the albatros didn't seem to be the best quality . the ranger seems to have lots going for it .. and the LN looks good quality and I can get him a DVD to help ..

any thoughts or exp with the above 3 finalist ? 

Darr

Lady Nelson is a great kit. I would have bought it instead of the Sherbourne, but it was out of stock at the time. Your dad will also get lots of help from this forum whatever he builds.

Tony

Hello Darr, I  think of the three you have listed  the Lady Nelson is an excellent choice. Victory models produce quality kits with excellent materials. With a single mast the rigging is relatively easy  The fact that the instructions  are in English is an added bonus. I didn't know they had produced a DVD  of this kit, Where did you see that listed? Your dad can buy tools as he progresses, but to begin with make sure he has a good hobby knife and a plentiful supply of #11 blades along with a selection of different grades of sand paper. Perhaps one book on model ship making is a good idea. One of my favourites  is " Ship Modelling from Kits simplified " by Frank Mastini . It may be possible to pick up an inexpensive  used copy through abebooks.com. I am a great fan of Hubert Sicard's site "Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies. A  membership costs $40 . It is possible to take a somewhat restricted peek before laying out the money. It  is continually updated and contains much useful information, tips and techniques often illustrated with video clips. I look forward to your father joining us on MSW.

Kip

The Victory Models line, a subsidiary of Amati and of which the Lady Nelson is a part, is an excellent range of kits.  Cutters make good first models, and there are many build logs of cutters here at MSW to peruse for tips.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

ok will go for Lady Nelson just waiting to hear when its will be in stock from CMB or I could probably get it on line anyways .. but I like Cornwall ( having lived there for a few years :)

here is the DVD : http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/product.asp?id=2105&pid=293

He should have most tools but think I will get the basic pack to from CMB to ensure he has enough to get started . 

Thanks again and Ill be sure to get him online here when I get it ( and now will probably get something for myself .. if the kids ever let me get 5 min to myself)

Oh and should I get him one of these ? http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_7382.html

Edited by darr

Hi darr.

I have built this one and its builds into a nice cross section  model.

http://shop.deagosti...bscription.html

Comes in weekly parts that they mail order you once a Mounth *4
There are a couple of build logs on the forum.
And there is a build log on there forum :- http://forum.model-s...x?g=topics&f=93
Quality of the kit is OK, Instructions comes in a Magazine once a week.

Very basic tools required IE knife. files. small saw.sandpaper and glue.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

The keel clamp by Amati is nice but it is a bit expensive and a lot of modellers seem to get by quite well without one. I don't have one and can't say I miss having one. So maybe nice to have but not essential. Others may well disagree.

Tony

[edit] Advice that others often give on the forum is to start with what you have and then gradually add tools when you feel you really need them. That cuts down the drawers of tools that you may use only once.

Edited by tkay11

Hello Darr pleased to heat that you managed to pick up a used copy of Mastini's book and are also planning to purchase an additional Lady Nelson for yourself.    Did you manage to take a peek at "Ship Modelling for Dummies"?

Enjoy the journey,

Kip

Glad to hear that you not only found something for your Dad, but also that you are now "hooked" yourself! I do hope we'll see build logs for both you and your Dad.