HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

I just noticed your stand - I like it!

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Eamonn,

Great job, she's looking very nice. So, on to the mystery's of joggling, huh? :huh:

Will you be painting the frames of the gunports red too, and as well even?

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks for all the Likes and comments folks.. it really does help keep things rolling along ! 

Nigel, she has only had 1 coat of Red Ochre so far, I'll sand it back and re apply tomorrow hopefully.. yea Joggling don't know what came over me there, but I'll give it a whirl ^_^  Nice Picture of Mordant in Latest Full Profile.. by the way, somehow a simple 'like' doesn't seem enough with work like that (early stages and all, she's gonna be a beut.)

Hey There David fancy meeting you here :rolleyes: hopefully you'll soon see what Joggeling & Margins are over here on The Ballier.

Tim.. alas I can only take credit for popping the stand out of its surrounding frame as it is the supplied Kit Stand.. emmm, though I did glue it together ^_^

Hey There Kester, Yup, the Ports will be getting the red look shortly, though am tempted to leave the outer hull planking edges natural (so there would be 1mm or so unpainted) not 100% sure yet, that's why I left them till last as it might not be possible, tis rather tight in there to say the least ^_^  Sherbourne looked deadly over on Latest Full.. and yea, she is crying out for her Fore Stays :rolleyes:  are you going to exhibit her with the Map in the background, cos it looks flippin brilliant ! ;)

So Long Folks and Thanks for Popping by.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn,

Ok, I think whatever you decide she'll look good.

Thanks for your kind words re the Sherbourne. Yes, the chart behind her is more or less permanent. It actually shows Nelson's chase following the French across the Atlantic, just before Trafalgar. Not quite the right time frame for the Sherbourne, but never mind, and I still have to put a frame around it. 

Kester

I was kinda figuring it was to do with Nelson :rolleyes:  Sherbourne will look fantastic in front of it ! I think charts make a wonderful backdrop for model boats, the actual plans look great too if you can get them!

Next stop is Fore Stays for you then ? B)

All The Best Kester

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

....  are you going to exhibit her with the Map in the background, cos it looks flippin brilliant ! ;)

So Long Folks and Thanks for Popping by.

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

Ok, I think whatever you decide she'll look good.

Thanks for your kind words re the Sherbourne. Yes, the chart behind her is more or less permanent. It actually shows Nelson's chase following the French across the Atlantic, just before Trafalgar. Not quite the right time frame for the Sherbourne, but never mind, and I still have to put a frame around it. 

The chart does look excellent behind her - I might have to "borrow" that idea from you - it's just too darn good! I thought maybe on the back wall of a display case - if you put it in the outside you could change it out for another easily if the mood struck...

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Eamonn/Timo,

I certainly think charts make a good background for a model, plans too. Timo, you may certainly 'borrow' the idea – although I'm sure it's been done before me.

I'm going to do the same with the other side of the bookcase, which at the moment has the first model I made, Billings Bluenose ll (somewhat bashed, with no plastic apart from the wheel).

Eamonn, actually there is something to fit before the forestay – a horse on the foredeck. No, not the four–legged variety, but a spar across the deck for the staysail sheet. I'll say more a bit about it in my Sherbourne log when I get to it – as I don't want to hog yours. :P

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Never a worry Kester, didn't know there was a horse up there too, down aft yes!

(was going to say 'Neigh' a worry.. Horse ...Neigh ..  No.. just me then :rolleyes: )

E

Really nice work Eamonn.  Very crisp - your painting skills are very impressive!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Bindy, Lawrence and welcome along Joe (you already know of my joy at seeing a Prince D.N. here ^_^ )

Well I have the Joggling Pattern drawn up and fitted onto the deck (paper template type thingy) and the Deck Plank terminations (where they are cut into the Margin) match up with the Plank  Butt Joints too II would imagine that the joggled planks have to end at a Deck Beam to enable them to be 'nailed' into it)  Main worry now it slight inconsistencies in my plank widths (I notices slight differences when doing the hull planking.. it might not be much but it threw the symmetry out slightly!)

Next Up.. Attempt to cut the Margin Plank using my Paper Template as a guide, each side will need to be broken up into around 3 separate sections due to the curves involved.... Tell me again why I decided to do this!! somebody !!

Now as soon as I Pick Myself Up From Rocking Back And Forth Whimpering To Myself In A Corner I Can Begin.. :huh: .. before I begin though, 'is there one 'S' or two 'S's' in Therapy?'  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Sail 'er Easy Folks

Eamonn

Now as soon as I Pick Myself Up From Rocking Back And Forth Whimpering To Myself In A Corner I Can Begin.. :huh: .. before I begin though, 'is there one 'S' or two 'S's' in Therapy?'  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Eamonn,

There, there... as for the 'sssss's' take as many as you need - that's what I've found anyway! Oh, and the reason why you do this - is because your bonkers, like the rest of us. :D  

Seriously though (?), sounds a good plan. The trouble with plans though, as I think you've just found with the plank widths, is they usually don't match with reality – isn't life wonderful? I don't know if you've stuck the planks down yet, but perhaps you can change one of two for slightly wider ones.

I imagine you'll be fixing the margin plank first (good idea btw to cut into three). Then you just cut, into it where the planks need to be joggled, with a sharp blade. Take it from me, you'll get a great sense of satisfaction when you've done the first one.

When all's said and done though, if the deck's slightly out, you're probably not going to notice it later with all the deck fittings in place. ;)

Kester

beautifull build Eamonn,

and thanks for sharing the pics of your Progress work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Kester, that calms me down a lot.. ^_^ yup, Margarine Plank will be put in place first.. Sorry Margin, Margin Plank!! :rolleyes: .. I have a few different width wood strips here so that was indeed the plan should things go a little Pear Shaped (did I say 'Should Things..' I mean 'When Things..' )

Hey There Nils, thanks for dropping by and for the compliment, believe me they are appreciated! feel free to offer any advice or tips as you see fit ok.

That goes for everyone remember ! :rolleyes:

All The Best

Eamonn

Forgot to mention..

Note to all you Ballahooers out there, I only noticed this once I'd put my patented Deck Planking Template in place that my False Deck seems slightly to Port by about 1 mm, I don't think the pre cut holes were off !, but it means that I'll have to allow for this when I cut the holes etc for Masts and the 'spurling' holes (don't know the actual name, but they are where the Anchor Cable goes into the deck.. called Spurling Pipes on my kind of ships.. ie the big metal ones) into the Deck Planks.

Just a Heads up to be careful ok. But it may just be me!

Eamonn

Forgot to mention..

Note to all you Ballahooers out there, I only noticed this once I'd put my patented Deck Planking Template in place that my False Deck seems slightly to Port by about 1 mm, I don't think the pre cut holes were off !, but it means that I'll have to allow for this when I cut the holes etc for Masts and the 'spurling' holes (don't know the actual name, but they are where the Anchor Cable goes into the deck.. called Spurling Pipes on my kind of ships.. ie the big metal ones) into the Deck Planks.

Just a Heads up to be careful ok. But it may just be me!

Eamonn

Hi Mate,

Not sure if the template is off on mine but I drew a pencil line down the centre of the template and aligned this with the false keel to ensure that the mast holes etc were dead centre and also to aid decking.

Hope yours doesn't cause too much bother.

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Eamonn,

'Margarine plank'? – you'll be going for the slippery deck look, then. :)

I'm not familiar with the 'Ballahoo', but are not the holes for the masts pre cut – as with the Sherbourne? I would imagine that the anchor cables go down through the grating at the fore end of the fore or main hatch, again as per Sherbourne, spurling pipes not having been invented then – or at least I don't think so.  :huh:

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Hi again Jim, It is probably just me, but thought I'd better mention it.. my template may be out of symmetry, I have a spare which is n near perfect symmetry (I folded it over on itself along the centre line) so I will draw up the planking runs onto it and hopefully all will be resolved, as I mentioned it is only 1mm or so, easy to correct !

Kester, yea the False Deck has all the holes pre cut as per Sherbourne, but the Anchor Cable has 2 circular holes (P and S) pre-cut into the False Deck for it..

Quick Question Time.. Did ye folks leave gaps in the planking to accommodate the various Deck Fittings (Bitts etc) or did ye just plank the deck completely (Mast Holes, Grating/Hatches excepting) I noticed Dirk left the 'gaps' so the Bitts etc could be sat into them, it looks very secure but difficult to say the least !

Take Care

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Eamonn,

Thanks, I see that now, having had a quick look at Jim's log.

As to your other question, no, I planked the whole deck first – other than for the aformentioned apertures. :huh:

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Hi mate, I had 0.2 mm variation in my deck planks. I found that it helped to use the same plank for each run and actually align the butts as they were before being cut, ensures a real tight fit.. My deck wandered a bit despite starting dead centre...

You're doing ace and I think like all of us here..we are very critical of our own work.. This does up the standards all round but evokes some accute pain and anxiety within us ...

Havnt had a chance to comment lately but Have to say those black Wales look superb.. Really coming along.. It's good to keep momentum isn't it?? I won't mention your marginally mad margarine mess. You must have had a migraine mate.. :) Ollie

Hey there Ollie, lots of comfort there as your deck looks the absolute 'Cat's Pyjamas' (that's good btw :rolleyes:  honestly) and your idea to use the same planking strip all the way down a run is great (I had a notion to pre cut a bunch of same length planks) so I'll just cut as I need them, ensuring the same timber is used ! should be consistent especially if there is enough on each strip for both sides (that would keep things symmetrical) 

I also had a notion to run a strip bow to stern down the middle, lining up to one side of the pencilled centre line, and line up my first Plank Run off it, then remove it.

Don't forget to drop over to Mike & Kesters builds to check out the furled sails.

All The Best

Eamonn

Little Update.. (had a wee system glitch which put this update into Ollie's Log, I was over there a few mins earlier and Internet Explorer seems to have had a wobbly..  Weird Happenings eh .. so if you see a deleted post in your log Ollie it was this !)

Got the Waterline drawn and what a total Faf that was, made me want to get on with Joggling it was that bad ! brought the Black down to it, just to get a feel for things and I'm happy with the result.. though less happy with my Masking Tape, as despite much rubbing and pressing the paint insists on going under it to give a feathery edge ! I have even put a light coat of Clear matt (lightly sanded) over the whole lower hull of the boat in anticipation to give a smoother surface for the tape.. no avail, I have heard it mentioned that some folks run a blade along the waterline to 'cut' a barrier that will stop paint bleed ! else I'll pick up some better tape, Tamiya Tape seems to be used a lot on MSW)

BTW You can just make out the Patented Deck Planking Template in place, looks snazzy, I wonder if I can just give it a wood colour.. hmmmmm

Bye For Now

Eamonn

post-5925-0-15404600-1396966501_thumb.jpg

BTW You can just make out the Patented Deck Planking Template in place, looks snazzy, I wonder if I can just give it a wood colour.. hmmmmm

Eamonn,

Somehow I think we'd know - and you'll jump to talking about hatch coamings, gratings and the windlass in your log! :P

Kester

Shhhhh Kester.. you'll give the game away.. now about those Hatch Coamings !!  :rolleyes:

BTW did you see what George Bandurek did in his 'Super Detailing Sherbourne' book ? he drew the Joggling Pattern onto card shaped as for the 'margarine' plank and stuck it in place, black marker around the edge next to the deck planking and very effective it looks too !! Rather Clever considering it was an afterthought, I think.

All The Best

Eamonn