HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

The stuff is the absolute Cat's Pyjamas .. thanks for the advice on it and the advice on how to get the best from it !!

Ta also for the compliment ! :rolleyes:

Have a good one.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Bindy and BE, the paint job is just about there, only a couple of wee touch-up's to finish and it's onto the joys of joggling (though I'm sure something else will appear to distract me from that... especially if I think hard enough) :rolleyes:

Many Thanks for checking in and the compliments you guys, and to all the Likes.

All The Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Bindy and BE, the paint job is just about there, only a couple of wee touch-up's to finish and it's onto the joys of joggling (though I'm sure something else will appear to distract me from that... especially if I think hard enough) :rolleyes:

Eamonn,

It's not so bad when go get into it. Think of it this way – some people go jogging every day, nautical types go joggling! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Off topic is good Nigel.. else it just reminds me of what I have to do... Ahhhh ! But sure no doubt it will be a bit easier than I feared, as I mentioned I'm kinda looking forward to battling with it  :rolleyes:

All The Best Mate

E

Edited by egkb

Don't worry mate,once you get into it,you will probably enjoy it ;) It makes a big visual difference and at no financial cost.Just take your time buddy,I think it is one of those chip away at it jobs,best done over a few short sessions rather than all at once as it will then test your patience,If you are unsure,then draw it all out first,on the deck or on a sheet of paper before committing to the blade ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel, I'll draw the joints onto the deck plan I drew up last week, it has the margin on it anyhoo just not individually sized for length, if you follow !

Might have a lash at it tomorrow and see how it goes ;) sure wots the worst could happen !!! :huh:

All The Best Bud,

Eamonn

Eamonn, not sure if you've seen this from BE's excellent Pickle log...very helpful pictures that make it all look very easy and make you wonder why you didn't finish it yesterday ( ;)).

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/783-pickle-by-blue-ensign-jotika-164-scale-pob-kit/page-1#entry11901

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jeez How did I miss that log!! Thanks for the heads-up and the link Jason.. roll on tomorrow (good grief I'm starting to get enthusiastic about joggling.. this is just so wrong ) ^_^

Was rocking back and forth in a corner whilst muttering to myself about joggling yesterday, that probably explains why I didn't get it done.. :huh:  :huh::rolleyes:  

Thanks for the visit Jason and thanks to all the other Helpers and Likes.  Thanks Folks!

Sail 'er Easy,

Eamonn

Thanks Lawrence, totally agree about the Tamiya.. where would we be without it ! ^_^

Vikki is coming on a treat, I can't believe how quickly you are going !

All The Best

Eamonn

(good grief I'm starting to get enthusiastic about joggling.. this is just so wrong ) ^_^

Was rocking back and forth in a corner whilst muttering to myself about joggling yesterday, that probably explains why I didn't get it done.. :huh:  :huh::rolleyes:

Steady there, Eamonn - sounds like your slipping over to the dark side... And why not?

What time does the joggling kick off then?

Kester

Ok Then Am Happy To Report Margin Planking Is Sized (Width Wise)

I used Nigel's suggestion (to invert the point of a compass, and set the compass to the required width, 6mm in my case, and using the over sized, but shaped to the bulwarks, margin plank slide the compass along the bulwark side of each plank, there were 5 per side for me, this draws a matching curve along the planks.  Then cut/file/sand the planks to this drawn line.

Next up.. prepare the individual planks for Scarfing and finish sanding them.  There is plenty of overlap on each plank for this process.

Then 'caulk' the scarf joins and set them in place on the deck.  Simples !!!

BTW I did the Transom margin planks as per Kesters suggestion & filled in the awkward area between Bulwarks and Transom Frames as mentioned by Nigel.. WooHoo loads of progress eh? and I only needed 2 large measures of Whiskey afterwards!! Just Kidding, I actually enjoyed doing it :rolleyes:

Photo Time Now

Take It Easy Folks and Thanks For Looking In

Eamonn

post-5925-0-83713900-1397572961_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing that bow filler Jim, as it sounds like a good idea, 'cos the inside edges of our two left/right side of centre line planks will seem to continue into the margin in that area.. this kinda bugged me a little (of course this wouldn't happen if we used a central deck plank ^_^ )

Question.. The hole where the rudder comes up through the hull and above the deck ! do you have any idea if this area is left open ? or is there a kind of 'canvas' collar there to stop water going down? (I will be putting a 'collar' on the lower part where the rudder enters the hull from below, but from the deck side I've no idea)

All The Best

Eamonn

Looking good mate B)  B) Personally I would say yes to a canvas collar over the hole in the deck.I know Caroline has one (according to the AOS book anyway)but I would think this would be common practice otherwise a ton of water would poor in,in rough conditions and decks awash.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Eamonn,

I agree, it looks good. As to accomodating the planks at the bow, like Jim I fitted a roughly triangular piece there, the after side giving a straight edge for the first few plank ends, before the, er, joggling begins. :) I think you might be able to still do that, if you wanted, and it would solve the problem. Anyway up to you.

Nigel is correct, there would have been a 'rudder coat' as I think it was termed, and for the reasons he gives. As you say, the lower end was the more important, as regards water entering, so I think it was rather fastened below than from above. One of the logs had a detailed method of making such a coat, but I forget whose it was. I have an idea it was BE, perhaps in his Pegasus log, but I'm not sure. I'll have to check. I had actually been thinking I should make one for the Sherbourne – and may yet still do it!

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Thanks Kester, looks like I'm making the triangular piece too :rolleyes:  Might it have been Dubz's Log (Dirk) he had a Show & Tell on those Rudder Coats (the bottom ones anyhoo)

Could you confirm that there was also a Rudder Coat at the Deck Level of the Rudder (got a tad confusted with ' ..so I think it was rather fastened below than from above ' :huh:  Wee bit of head scratching going on over here ^_^  ^_^ teehee

All The Best

Eamonn

Just read a fantastic compliment on your Sherbourne over on another log a few moments ago (Gregors Sherbourne)

Eamonn,

I really don't know about a covering for the top part of the rudder hole, quite possibly there was one there too. I'll have to do a bit of investigation.

Careful with the head scratching – I'd stop when your fingers get red. :D

Kester

Thanks for getting back to me Kester, I think we got our wires crossed there a little.. I mistook your confirming with Nigel to mean you were agreeing that there was a Rudder Coat on Deck ! :P  We'll get to the bottom of this 'Deck Rudder Coat' eventually :rolleyes:  and if I have to give up on Joggling to do so then I will.. that's how committed to a solution I am ! :rolleyes:

Actually the main reason I'm asking is because the deck & margin planking in this area looks a tad unfinished, and I was almost hoping there was something to cover this bare looking area.

I was over on Dan Vadas & his Vulture Log where there is a photo of this deck area and it is 'open', but finished very neatly, admittedly he may not have covered it yet but it is very neat and looks finished.. it is even shaped to accommodate the turning rudder ie not just a rectangular hole. see Post #1209 page 81. this is a bigger boat and no doubt wouldn't be as 'wet' as a schooner!

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks for looking in Holty and for the compliment !  Have taken a couple of days off from the build due to life getting in the way, but should be back to those pesky Margins shortly..

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks for looking in Holty and for the compliment !  Have taken a couple of days off from the build due to life getting in the way, but should be back to those pesky Margins shortly..

All The Best

Eamonn

I hope it is because you are enjoying the life that gets in the way!

Best wishes to you Eamonn

Thanks Bindy, I was all set to go Margining when a friend paid me a visit.. 5 hours later it was too late to go Margining.. :huh:

Next day something similar.. 'tis a conspiracy I tells ya'.. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: and now it's the Easter Long Weekend so Zero building days (I work this Saturday and have visitors tomorrow.. Yup deffo a conspiracy! ^_^

Have a Great Weekend Bindy and all Ballahoo Visitors.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Never mind. Easter will soon be over, and then... :)

In the meantime have a good one.

Kester

Thanks Kester,  There must be something seriously wrong with me as I can't wait to get stuck into Margining/Joggling again .. ^_^  ^_^

Take Care Mate

Eamonn