HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Thanks Kester, I'll probably go with the Red of the Bulwarks for the Head & might consider leaving the Tiller natural (of course natural in this case is the 'dreaded' at least by me :D Walnut.. though that said it looks grand around the gratings.. so we shall see.. I might whittle a tree branch down instead ^_^ ^_^) 

Was checking out 3rd party Brass Cannonade replacements.. now there's a potential mine-field !!! Ballahoo's are 12lb'ers and are something like 21.5mm long.. yet the Cornwall Model Boat 12lb are almost half that (13.2mm Over All) the 18lb is about the right length (22.6mm) but probably won't fit right.. as I said.. A Potential Mine-Field :rolleyes:

Sooooo I went back to my original ones from the kit and took a file to them to clean-em up.. not too shabby looking at the moment, will need to drill them out though as the mouth still has half the casting process in there, I might even attempt to chemically Blacken them ! I suspect they will need to be sanded smooth though as they look/feel somewhat 'rough'.

Thanks for checking in folks, and thanks again Kester

Stay Well

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,

Mention of the tiller rminds me that I made a new one for Sherbourne. The kit tiller was not long enough, and at the rudder-head end had a an almost circular bit that went around the head itself. A very strange arrangement. The new one is scale ten feet, as specified for the Alert in the AOTS book, and has a tenon which fits through the top of the rudder head. I also added a couple of paper 'bands' to look like iron ones.

I don't know what your tiller looks like, but if it is anything like the one I had, I'd certainly make a new one.

If it's any consolation, I used the kit guns too – although I admit they could have been better! :huh:

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again Folks.. Jeeez I had to go to the bottom of the 2nd page to find my Ballahoo Log :P

Right Then.. Well I have my camera back, and I installed the doors onto the Dog-house earlier today, had much success with the Diluted Wood Glue brushed onto the black paper for the hinges (it did the job of reinforcing the paper which had effectively delaminated when I applied the CA glue directly to it, I couldn't take any photos of the 'delamination' of the paper but it was catastrophic and totally unexpected.. think soaking paper in water for an hour or so, that's how bad it was :D resulting in my having to sand the CA residue from the doors/frame and repaint.. my next attempt was with the very thinly cut brass strip, this went well to the point where I had to bend the wee strips to simulate the Open Hinge.. suffice it to say getting the same amount of bend into each tiny piece was Taxing (to be polite!!!) as there was absolutely no give in the strips once they were in place.. my meagre tools and ability weren't up to that task I'm afraid, these wee beasties were SMALL  ^_^ ^_^

So it was back to the paper and the dilute wood glue and so far so good! WOOHOO (I hope)

I'll have photos tomorrow (Honest :rolleyes:)  after I trim the sticky-out-bits of the 'hinge' off and neaten things up.. not to mention clean my Photo Table off (it magically turned into a resting place for various rubbish whilst not being used due to an absence camera.. strange how that seems to happen)

Thanks for stopping bye folks. see ye all tomorrow with some exciting photo-ma-jiggers !

Be Good

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks for that Nigel.. I don't feel sooo bad now ^_^

I was just up in the build room and did a little trimming of the hinges.. all going according to plan for the moment anyhoo ! I gave them a little more dilute glue to hold them more securely in the open position.

I've just cleared off the Photo Table too so 'we're sucking diesel' as they say over here (more Irishism there.. translates as 'We're really moving now' :P .. hmmmm could be a book in there somewhere, wot with Eamonn-ism's and Irish-ism's, would imagine there are a few Yorkshire-ism's too (years ago I read all the James Herriot books :rolleyes:^_^) )

Stay Well Bud

Eamonn

Brillo Nigel.. I'll do that !

We're Cooking with Diesel Now  :huh:  :huh:  wait that's not right.. B)

E

Hope you have a great day tomorrow by the way :D  :D  an early Happy Birthday To You !!

Edited by egkb

All Righty Then Folks Some Photos as promised... :rolleyes:

Jeeez 'bout time eh?

I didn't get the opportunity to clean things up as I would have liked, but sure ye get the idea anyhoo !

You can just make out the hinges in one of the shots, yup they are Smaaaaallll .. can't really get any closer but I might give some different photo techniques a go later in the week (camera is away again this weekend taking more wedding photos... flippin thing has more of a life than I do ^_^  ^_^ )

Remember none of the deck fittings are fixed in place as yet, and the little hand rail rope (visible inside the Dog-House) is not fixed at its lower end yet either as the whole dog-house needs to be tidied up first.

Oh by the way I left the Handles on the house natural (bronze coloured) not sure whether I'll paint them black or not.. and I might add a sort of inside mechanism to the doors (Latches etc) these will be pieces of black card and perhaps thin wire, as the door handles look weird without something like that on the inner side if you follow!! :)

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-48194000-1408104428_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-87648900-1408104430_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-02710200-1408104433_thumb.jpg

Your doghouse looks fabulous mate B)  B)  B) Those hinges are certainly tiny,I can see why the fun and games.I do agree some sort of latch on the inside is the way to go to finish everything off.Black or Tamiya dark iron(my preferred choice)may be the thing for the ironmongery.You could always add a little dry brushing in silver for the finishing touch ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Eamonn,

Your dog house looks great – and I'm sure Nigel's dog would be at home down there. Very Happy Birthday by the way Nigel, if a bit belated. Hope you had a good day.

I agree, you need some sort of latch on the inside of the doors, to finish it off. As for the finish, Nigel's obviously going for the 'executive' look. :D

Kester

Thanks Kester, that's next on the list of To Do's.. I had a quick looksie around to see if I could determine what kind of Latch Arrangements would be appropriate for the time period.. was thinking of a type of Dead Bolt on one door going into the bottom 'step' with a latch type thing on the other door (ie operated by the handle) they will of course only be a suggestion of Latch/Dead Bolt due to scale restraints.

Does any of the above sound 'right' to ye folks out there.. am pretty sure Yale Locks wouldn't have been around back then  :huh:  :huh: (just Googled it and they weren't too far away mind you, being founded in 1868 ish B)  B) )

Any suggestions will as always be much appreciated.. just remember the entertainment I had with 4 hinges  ^_^  ^_^ so nuttin too complex and involving intricate microscopic work.. think of my nerves and total lack of ability  :D  particularly the Total Lack Of Ability... did I mention the Lack of Ability?  ^_^

Cheers Folks

Eamonn

Thanks for the Likes too folks, tis deadly to get them as they give a nice warn fuzzy feeling that the efforts are going in the right direction.

Hi mate

The only thing with a deadbolt on one door and latch on the other,would be it wouldn't tally up with handles on both doors on the outside(at least it looks like two handles on the outside from your pics).You could put handles on both sides and use a length of wire on each side to depict a dropbolt on each side connected to the handle.This wouldn't be too hard,you could just paint and glue the wire directly to the inside of the door.I don't know of any factual reference for what would have been fitted,so I think as long as it is plausible,anything goes..

Thank you Kester,I have had a very enjoyable day,just suffering temporary semi-paralysis after consumption of a rather large Fillet Steak :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

That does sound better Nigel (and probably easier too)

Sounds like you had a great day.. Fillet Steak overload.. Brilliant  :P

Cheers

Eamonn

Hey there Jason, Mucho Thanks for the compliment  :rolleyes:  and Thanks for stopping by too!

Remember if you have any suggestions then please fire away.. Nigel's solution seems to be the way to go re the Door Latch query.. Have you met any similar issues on Snake, or Jason for that matter ?

Cheers

Eamonn

Thanks Richard & Lawrence for the visit.  I made the wee hinges Lawrence from nothing more complicated than Black Card stiffened with Dilute Wood Glue ! I'll be following Nigel's advice later and putting a dab of Polyurethane on them too (to really stop them moving, once I've finished with latches etc that is)

Thanks again for stopping by guys.

Eamonn

Great stuff, it's looking sharp, I love your use of colour. I can't wait for you to start the masts, I spend my modelling time with a rod in one hand, a plane in the other thinking "need to get a lathe". I might start my Pickle whilst I save for one. Anyway I'm impressed how bold you are for a first wood build and love seeing your updates. All the best

Holty

Thanks Holty, it's been pure luck and the help of the good folks on here that has gotten me this far.. have been dreading the thoughts of shaping the masts.. me with a plane !!! Hmmmm I think not, I'll chuck them into a drill and rotate with some sand-paper held against 'em I think.. much safer (as long as I don't set fire to the masts that is :huh:  :huh: )

Thanks for visiting

Eamonn

Eamon,

happy-birthday.gif

Dee Dee

PS.  The dog house looks fabulous!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks for the visit Lawrence and for the Birthday wish, It was indeedy a great day  ^_^

That seems to be the way to go with shaping the masts.. I don't thrust myself with the 'plans recommended' small plane (much less a big one  :P  :P )

Take Care 

Eamonn

Thanks also to Dee_Dee for the visit (the little wee 'gif' didn't open :( )

E

Edited by egkb

• 1 month later...

Hi All, just a word to let ye all know that I haven't fallen off the Planet or anything, work/planning continues on Ballier...

Most recently I neatened the 'hole' where the rudder head pokes through the deck..

Filed out the Gun Ports properly.. they were bugging me !!

And placed an order for an Ordinance Upgrade.. this is currently the hold up as they appear to be out of stock (even though 'In Stock' was on the Web Site.. I have NO LUCK at all with Cornwall Model Boats  ^_^  ^_^ )

Today I even attempted to Blacken my Kit guns.. weirdly it took 3 Sessions to get them dark (the mixture went very cloudy very quickly.. with little or no 'action' afterwards, so I changed out the chemicals ) reckon it will take another dipping or two to get them where I want them (I may have to use them you see, as it has been a while since my CMB order) they are a very dark grey at present.

Indecently I followed the Blackening tips from a Log on here called The Blacken-It Trials link below..

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6977-the-blacken-it-trials/

I even test faired a piece of dowel in anticipation of hitting Balliers Masts shortly..

Will be off to Venice for a little Hollier ('Vacation' to my friends across the Pond) the week after next so will probably hold off any big shipyard work till after ..

Stay Well Folks & Catch Ya Later,

Eamonn

Hot off the Press.....

My Upgraded Ordinance is on the way ...  Woo Hoo  :o  :o  :D  :D

Hope it actually fits after all this waiting ,  but if not I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere.. C18th English Longboats had 12lb Carronades right ?  :P

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Again Folks.. as you can see I'm back from the Hols and have the building buzz again!!

Latest... 

I've chemically blackened the new upgraded guns.. boy are they small compared to the kit supplied ones (I'll photograph them tomorrow side by side for comparison as the difference needs to be seen to be believed :)  ) I forsee more curled up in a corner rocking gently back and forth after attempting to rig them..

The blackening looks more of a deep bronze than actually black but I have to say I really like it.. could probably just pop them back into the blackening solution.. after going through the prep steps first of course.. if I wanted to get them truly black, but then again I could have just painted them in that case  :P the deep bronze looks the business though.

Next order of work is to permanently attach the Hatches and the Dog-house, get the Rudder fittings sorted.. on that note I'm going to try to knock up some half way decent Gudgeons & Pintels as the kit recommendations are basic to say the least  :P more of those famous last words right there!! Then it's onto the Channels & Chains.  And if I have time after lunch I'll address the Masts, I mean how hard can all that other lot be.............  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Stay Tuned Folks

All The Best

Eamonn

Venice was a hoot by the way, highly recommend the place  ^_^

Great to see an update of sorts mate :)  :) Glad you enjoyed Venice,never been myself,but my mother had and always used to rave about it ;)

You should just about have the finishing touches on the rigging in place before bedtime :P  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Seems about right Nigel.. might even get the first layer of planking on Convolution too...  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

So No Worries There Then.. ^_^

E

Thanks for looking in Stergios & David, photo's tomorrow, needless to say before I begin the Convulsion Build Log..  :P  :P  of course I may be being a tad optimistic !!

Edited by egkb

Hi Eamonn,

Good to have you back and making good progress on your 'Bally'. Sounds like you've the guns to your satisfaction – although of course, we can't tell until we see the pics?

Glad you had a good time in Venice. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon, and enjoyed it very much. How's the flood prevention work progressing, or didn't you see much of that?

In the meantime, don't get into 'convulsions' with the planking – or should that be 'do'? :huh:  

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester