HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Jeez Bob those Hammer things sound really complicated.. too many moving parts for my liking , think I'll just continue using the Camera Lens..   :huh:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

More things that I can't seem to keep my thumb out of the way of...

Staplers & Hard soled shoes sound more like advanced carpentry Dee_Dee  !! ^_^

My eyes are peeled for the Timber Poacher... Elmer Fudd style.

All The Best

E

Just spotted your reply Bob. I'm totally with you on the '1st remove thumb from the area' style of clomping stuff with hard heavy items!

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Sorry for the lack of progress Lawrence, been a bit busy elsewhere of late.. hopefully can rectify that this week !! ^_^

One good thing about these small builds id that they don't need much timber, so when I put orders in for more unfortunately I am sometimes a little on the 'stingy' side and don't leave allowance for poor quality or damaged strips (good tip there to any following in my wake..  if you upgrade your boats timber BUY LOADS of the stuff :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  at least twice as much as you think you need to allow for inconsistencies)

Some good news though.. I revisited my Maple strips and they may not be as bad as I originally feared ( I lightly sanded 1 or 2 and they look grand, it's just that they looked a bit rough at first.. perhaps another lesson there too eh?)

Thanks for checking in Lawrence (and sorry for not leaving any comments with your Victory recently, I seem to be always a bit too late to the 'game' and am at the back of the cue ^_^  ^_^   :rolleyes:  but Vikkies rigging is going a treat, you make it look so easy! I wasn't kiddin when I said that I think you'll have her finished before my Ballier ^_^ )

All The Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the 'Down Time' folks.. but the latest news is that I have begun the deck today !!

Have had way too many distractions over the last few weeks including a Tori Amos concert ^_^

No photos at the moment as there is only half of one row in place and who wants to see that... ;)

Hopefully things will get back on track now  (well later that is as I'm off to the cinema shortly to see Godzilla :rolleyes: )

All the Best Folks and Ta for checking in..

Eamonn

Good to see a post at last mate :) Tori Amos,gosh you are bringing back memories there :huh: Instead of cutting out shapes have you been throwing some? :D  :D It was a long time since I did big box,little box :D  :D Sorry,getting carried away in nostalgia :D  :D  :D  :D  :D .Good to hear you are back on the build buddy.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel.. good to be back ! Tori was brilliant (am a bit of a fan.. cute Read-Heads work for me ^_^ ) Am off to Godzilla now.. WooHoo (am a sucker for that kinda film too.. nuff said eh?)

Catch ye later

Eamonn

Photo Update Time Folks.. I know I know I do spoil ye all.. ^_^  :rolleyes:

Deck Planking is going grand, am thinking about putting a Beech row down either side of the hatches (it will intersect the Companionway though.. the sideways 'hole'.. but that should be ok)

The Margin planks are not yet fixed in place as I may follow Jims method which allows the nibbling/joggling to be done 'off' the boat, also if I make a pigs ear of anything it will be easier to replace.. :P  that said the Port/Stbd stern 'margins' are fixed down as they are the base for the deck planking!

I understand that 'full' un-butted planks are used between Hatches etc .. that is to say where a 'full' plank would fit, I appear to have done this between the Stern and the Aft most Hatch which I would imagine is incorrect, it will be easy to fix though ! ;)

As usual folks if ye have any thoughts suggestions please do shout them out.

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

Incidentally those are the Paper Templates I'm using for the Shift Pattern (more-so the one on the Right, the left is showing the Hatch Mast Holes, and is only a rough)

post-5925-0-16810200-1400504174_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Thanks Richard,   Do you think I should change the plank between aft hatch and stern or leave well enough alone ? It would be no problem to shift and put the Butt's in place.. I was thinking about it earlier this afternoon (after making the Post) the distance between Hatch and Stern is less than a full plank you see so I thought it best to leave it !  Any advice here would be appreciated Folks !

Thanks also to the 'Likes' from Mike, Andy and Jason and you too Richard ^_^

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

Looking good mate B) For me,I would consider another run each side of maple,then the beech plank.The origins of the 'go faster stripe' on model decks is related to the two king planks used either side of the hatchways (there is another name for them but it evades me as I write this)which were made of oak,whereas the deck planking quite possibly would be fir.The difference in colour on the model is indicative of the two different timbers on the real vessel.In reality these planks would run either side of the hatches and would not be split at an opening.If you wanted to add another feature,you can incorporate hooked scarph joints in them.

Oh and unless the deck planks need to be much longer than a full plank,no butt joints are normally used ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

I'd leave it as it is Eamonn, nothing wrong with how it is and i slooking great.  One thing to consider (I goofed this up), is to ensure that you know where the coamings end and not just use the holes in the deck as a guide.  I had a couple of instances where it looked a little odd having a hatchway and a butt very close - luckily I could hide it with a couple of judicious small tweaks.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Nigel & Jason.. I'll leave well enough alone ! 

I have been contemplating making up the Hatch Coamings just to get a feel for where they will end up, nice tip there Jason and it encourages me more to do just that ! it would also let me see where to do the Go Fasters too, as Nigel suggests one more row of planking per side then the Beech with the scarph joints !! Hook Scarph.. ^_^  :huh:  :huh:  Erm Nigel Mate I'm still having sleepless nights after 'regular' scarphs.. I think Hooks would see me in a little comfortable white padded room for a short stay.. or Typing over and over 'All Scarph and No Play Makes Eamonn... etc., :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

They would look great though ! Hmmm Padded Room for One Please Matron !

Thanks again Guys

Eamonn

All scarph and no play :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D I like that Eamonn.They are purely optional and quite easy when working with straight lengths.If you do fancy having a bash,give me a nod and I will give you some pointers ;) Sorry if that sounds like something from the 'EastEnders script,not that I watch it mind :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

I'd be game to give it a lash Nigel so Pointers away Guvnor an' Ill see ya daann da Vic.. That's my EastEnders Speak.. ^_^

E

Edited by egkb

Ok buddy here is a diagram(actually a photo of a pretty rough sketch by me :) of how I set them out.The two measurements along the plank want to be the same and the nib and recess both want to be 1/3 of the plank width(this is not following the rulebook,but rather something achievable and looks convincing.Join the points up as on the sketch.This gives the outline of one half.The longitudinal measurements you can play around with until you are happy with the angle,as long as they are the same that is the important thing.To give you an idea I have just done some on 6mm wide pear and they worked out at 2 x 10mm.The clever bit is you clamp the marked out end with the piece you are joining it to ideally in a vice.Ensure the edges of the planks are inline and cut both ends at once.I do the cuts across with a razor saw down to the line and then shave away the material with a scalpel.Carefully file down to the line ensuring the faces are level.Providing the two 1/3 width sections are cut and marked accurately,the two ends should join together in a perfectly straight line.A couple of goes on some scrap will help but once you get in the swing it is relatively straight forward ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-26314800-1400532550_thumb.jpg

Hi All..

Another Photo Update..   all go in the Ballahoo camp eh? ^_^

I gave the Hook Scarf a few go's with limited success (I'm afraid my measurements aren't up to scratch Nigel, I'll try harder next build ! ;) ) some of them can be seen on the deck, in fact all of them are on the deck (being used as scrap timber to keep the deck planking tight :rolleyes: ) have to say they looked rather well right up to the point where I put them together... :P so I just used a regular Scarf instead, never thought I'd be relieved to be doing a plain scarf join!! :huh:  

I've noticed about 1mm of asymmetry creeping into the deck planking which I'll address tomorrow by running a slightly narrower plank on one side.. this is rather annoying but I have come to expect it and will deal with it easily enough (Hopefully that is)

Ok tis Photo Time..

All The best Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-75409500-1400700100_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mate, it was my measurements that let me down ! would have looked the business though.. Ta for the suggestion !

E

BTW any thoughts on Jasons 'Which Ship' ?

TBH,I wouldn't know where to start,he has picked a good un :o  :o Could possibly be a customs vessel,but as to what nation  :huh:  :huh:  :huh: .I don't get much chance to scour the net at the moment other than weekends,so haven't 'attacked it with all guns blazing' :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

I checked out a bunch of Customs Vessels earlier and Inshore/Harbour Patrol Vessels,  some similar looking things but nothing identical.. I even tried Irish Customs Vessels in case he was pulling a fast one on me ;) the nearest vessel I could find was South African ! was surprised that I didn't find identical looking boats as I imagined they would be virtually off a Production Line.. Oh Well

Catch You Later Bud

E

Ok Folks... Ta Daaaa the Deck is done !! :P  :P  (Insert Happy Dance Here!)

I corrected the Asymmetry as best I could though there is one fairly obvious place which stands out, the For'ad most Port/Stbd 'nibble' in the margin plank are not in line, hopefully it will be camouflaged by Ropes from the Belaying Pins for the fore mast (all those following in my wake with a Ballahoo please keep an eye out for this Asymmetry when lining up the deck before gluing it onto the Bulkheads to begin with.. not exactly sure where it originated admittedly, but it was most likely was a result of me being a tad careless!! :(  though I did spot the issue way back when I placed the deck paper template I made in place so perhaps it wasn't all me.. ^_^ )

Anyhoo.. I finished the deck with a scraper and sanding (it will most likely get some more later) then cleaned it off (note it isn't as dark as it appears in the photos, that is just a result of my gentle wiping with a small amount of White Spirits)

Next up.. the Spirketting then finish painting the insides of the Bulwarks & Gunports (two per side have to be cut to the Cap Rail !)

Thanks for stopping by Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-06274600-1401029827_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-43297900-1401029828_thumb.jpg

Looks fantastic Eamon.  Where did you find info on the kingplanks - I've been searching high and low for pictures/diagrams a can't find a sausage...

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Nigel, Jason and the Likes, I like the result myself (couldn't bring myself to remove any deck planks and attempt to correct an issue that may be in the actual Hull shape somewhere..  ) and am more than happy to overlook the slight asymmetry, probably only talking 1.5mm or so.. Yup am well pleased that a major construction phase is over. :D

Quick question Jason.. Are you referring to the 2 centre planks (1 either side of the centre line)  or the 2 Beech almost 'full' length 'Go Faster Stripes' planks?   (King Plank to me is one running right down the C/L)

The 2 Beech planks were something I spotted last Summer over on Dirks Sherbourne log and kinda took a fancy to it, I later discussed it with Nigel who mentioned that it was of the Russian Palace Style (Hopefully Nigel will pop in here and explain it better :P )  Other than that I'd be as in the dark as you are.. :P

Thanks Again Folks

Eamonn

Over to You Nigel.. :rolleyes:

Thanks mate :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Yes these are more 'art' than 'authentic'.They do however add a nice feature to the deck.Theory behind it stems form the two king planks on french vessels that actually act as a binder longitudinally along the deck beams. As Eamonn mentions quite a common feature of the Russian Palace style.I have a few drawings of Italian origin 'mimicking' this,but to be frank they got it all wrong and looks too over the top.Hardest thing is gauging the distance apart,I have seen some builds on the net with them close together,definitely looks more GT40 than period ship.Ummed and arrd about using them on Mordaunt,but I am having ebony frames on the gratings on the upper deck to reflect the black on the museum model so would have been too much going on.See Alex's Cumberland build,he did his in Ebony.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yes Eamonn, the go faster stripes. I'm probably wrong with Kingplank reference because I think you're right that that is the one that goes down middle on some ships and is a bit bigger.

And why are they a different colour? We're they originally built with a different wood on real ships? Sorry for piling more questions on :-)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Lawrence, I have just finished giving the deck what I think is it's final sanding, will hopefully be installing the Spirketting and doing the final cutting out on the Fore most and Aft most gun ports tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by.

Eamonn