HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Eamonn,

I don't think anyone really knows. Some people call it the sun, I believe, although I always thought that was something else. Anyway, we don't often see that yellowy round thing much up here either – the last couple of days have been an exception, however, so we're outside too, and as well.

The plans for the dog house sound rather involved. Will it be carpeted – deep pile Axminster, or Wilton perhaps?  :D

Look forward to the pics.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Nice bit of wainscoting inside, with a picture window and a pianoforte in the corner.. :P

Alas no photos.. I loaned my camera to a friend to shoot a wedding, hopefully have it back this weekend !

Thanks for stopping by Kester, always a pleasure.

Stay Well

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.. Little wee update type thingy..  at last eh? ^_^

A friend of mine stopped by a few days ago to ask me a question about his camera.. so to help him out I took some close-up shots of the latest bit of Ballahoo work (this killed two birds with one stone as my own camera is away again leading it's own life taking wedding/studio photos with a friend.. bad news when ones camera is having more fun than you are !! :huh:  :huh::rolleyes: ) 

Anyhoo.. I actually have some photos so Woo Hoo!!.

I had to shorten the Doors to allow for the little Coaming to be fitted, I can't imagine any boat with a companion-way not having a coaming of some type to stop sloshing deck water finding it's way below deck !

By The Way .. I have at last worked out how I am going to proceed forward with the Doghouse (thanks to Ollie's Mermaid build) which should speed things up substantially :D

Those are the little doors sitting on the deck, they had to be separated as they were in one piece originally.. not being meant to open, if you follow..

Oh! and the Gratings aren't glued in place yet so don't worry about them not being in line!

Photo Time (has been so long I hope I remember how to do this ^_^  ^_^ )

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

PS I'll be painting the Doghouse too.. probably Red sides/doors, White inside & Black roof, and installing a kind of full width 'Door Stop' on top of the doghouse coaming to stop the doors swinging in too far.. you know the type of thing!! which may well require a little sanding to reduce the coamings a little!

E.

post-5925-0-09793600-1405862178_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-47714300-1405862180_thumb.jpg

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Nice to see an update buddy B) That's one more than me :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Your 'doghouse should look fine and dandy.Only suggestion I would make if you are fitting stairs,is to make the distance down from your combing to the first step the same as the stair pitches ;) You may have thought of this anyway,if so I apologise :P

Kind Regards

Nigel

P.S.have finished one build,but can't put a log on here :D Sorry for being off topic,but explains the reduced modelling hours

post-1641-0-83484500-1405866562_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ermmm.. Mate are you entering the Tour De France of wot !! ^_^  ^_^  Jeeez I feel tired even looking at that breast !! Brilliant job on it :D

Thanks for the tip re the Steps.. I actually hadn't thought of that !! but by sheer chance my first step is about right (by pure chance I can assure you.. says he busily removing the first step.. Hem Hem)  :huh:  ^_^

Stay Well

And try not to embarrass those Tour guys as you fly past them !

Eamonn

By The Way.. I was just over on your Deck Planking Tutorial !! .. That deck looks amazing !! wouldn't be out of place on a Floating Gin Palace !

Edited by egkb

Thanks mate :)  :) Maybe if I had my time again the T de F may have been an option :D  :D but not on that bike,it is only UCI legal for time trials.I have had the challenging notion of entering an ironman before I am Fifty :D  :D  :D .Just Google Ironman,Kona,now that will make you feel tired :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

If so,I have a lot of work to do :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

That Ironman stuff is mental looking Nigel.. I think that even at my fittest I'd have struggled to manage even a part of that ! :P

Managed to cut a piece out of the Doghouse Roof to allow the sliding part to 'reveal' the opening to below, so things appear to be moving on the Ballier again ! ^_^  ;)

Enjoy your cycling ! Cavandish must be looking over his shoulders in worry ^_^  ^_^

Stay Well

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn!

Well it was worth the wait to see some more photos.  Your Ballahoo just looks so good and your work is exceptional!!

Perhaps you could suggest to your friend that you do a VERY thorough test of his camera for a couple of months or so .....   :P

Was thinking the same thing myself Bindy.. 'Hmmm is that a slight flaw I see in the camera which only appears intermittently.. might take a few more weeks to find out for sure ..'   ;)  Yup a Cunning Plan Bindy !! :rolleyes:  we are deffo thinking on the same wavelength !

Thanks for stopping by B and for the smashing compliment on The Ballier  <_< (that's my 'Ah Shucks' face :rolleyes: )

Stay Well

Eamonn

Jeeez I feel tired even looking at that breast !! Brilliant job on it :D

Eamonn,

Ahem, really? You do realise, of course, that this is a family website! ;)

Anyway, moving very swiftly on to the Ballahooligan, your doghouse is beginning to look a treat – even the dog would be pleased. The idea of an open sliding hatch would also show the top steps, and somehow invites you to come below – should you be 1/64th scale! Be interesting to see how this turns out.

Kester

Really nice work Eamonn.  Very crisp, clean build.  Your planking is fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Kester. I'd like to blame Spell Checker but I can't :P  Freudian Slip time I think.. strange you were the only one to point it out though.. :D  :D :D  

Did some more on the Doghouse today, and also made up 2 re-enforcing 'L' bracket for where the Anchor Rope goes below through the hatch gratings.. now that was a faf.. much merriment was had including dropping one onto the carpeted floor followed by that always entertaining hands & knees hunt !

I cut them from a very thin sheet of brass I had, using a jewellers saw (very handy bit of kit by the way) I had to experiment a little with various glues to simulate bolts on them.. won't know until later how successful I was (I ended up using blobs of wood glue which are shrinking nicely as we speak.. I don't have any thick CA which seems to be the norm for this kinda work.. Oh Well !)

The sides of the steps leading below are done, just needs the threads now and then attach a rope 'hand rail' to the insides of the doghouse.. easy peasy !!!!! :huh:  :huh:  :huh: :huh:  

Thanks for stopping by Mike.. I have only just realised you are doing a Peg alongside Uni... WOW ! :D  I'll have to get myself over there after this and Follow along. 

Thanks again for the compliments guys and for the Likes !!

Stay Well

Eamonn

Eamonn, I felt that I couldn't let that one go.

As for the scrabbling around on the floor, well, I think we've all been there – I hope you enjoyed it! Of course the real joy (?) comes when you actually put your knee on the part in question, which usually means that it has a sharp corner to inflict even more pain. :D  

Kester

Ye are all not going to believe this.. but I dropped the piece AGAIN ! I had picked it up in a pair of tweezers to examine the 'bolts' effect of the 3 blobs of glue when suddenly it isn't in the tweezers anymore and I'm back on my hands & knees searching the carpet !!

Found It .. Painted It.. and Glued It !   Shouldn't be able to loose it now !! famous last words, as I'll probably loose the entire Hatch/Grating !!

Might be able to have a photo tomorrow if I can talk a friend into bringing his camera in later (that's the chap whose camera I was testing Bindy  :rolleyes: !!)

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

Bonus Content..

Tip Of The Day #1.. If you are going to pick up small pieces in Tweezers/Fingers then please please do so over a large white sheet of paper and not directly over the Dreaded Carpet Monster  :P  :P

Tip # 2.. When painting small items such as the above, don't panic if the piece suddenly vanishes from the work surface, chances are it is embedded in the hairs of the paint brush !! :P  :P (this little gem of a tip saved me from Carpet Search Mk 3)

Priceless tips like this are available to buy in book form from Eamonn's Filler & Timber Company ( A wholly owns subsidiary of Clamps Pegs & Pins Corp.) for a modest fee ! B)  B)

Eamonn,

All I can say is that you're either a glutton for punishment – or you wanted to prolong the enjoyment of the hunt!  :D

Kester

Hi All..

Well the Steps are done & painted White.. The Doghouse is painted (White insides.. Red outsides.. Black roof/sliding roof) I had to excavate some more of the false keel to allow the steps to sit in right.. Still contemplating the doors and how to do the hinges (the doors will be open so a fake 'paper' hinge might not work)

All the above hasn't been fully assembled as of yet to allow easier access to the pieces, I still have to put a rope hand 'rail' in place leading below.

Any thoughts re Door Hinges folks?  There are 2 doors so 4 hinges required (perhaps a piece of flat metal cut into the appropriate shape and glue it to the doors & sides, I don't need the doors to actually work )  Ollie did a great job with his doors on Mermaid, which actually open/close, but it is too confined on Ballahoo to follow in his footsteps.

If you have any suggestions folks please fire away !

Stay Well

Eamonn

Alas no camera so photo opportunity may wait a bit longer .. :P

A couple of options come to mind - you could take look at some of the PE sets from other kits, not too bad costwise if I remember (e.g. Badger), I had to buy some to get the smaller eyebolts as (I just couldn't wait until they came back in stock) - the upside is I also got some additional hooks which will be useful in rigging as Snake kit only has a few, and also the hinges that I used on my companionway cover.  Paper would work just fine as you suggest.  You are probably more skilled than me, but if you were to use metal you'd need to find some very thin stuff to not look too thick, and the edges may take a bit of cleaning up and could be tricky.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Eamonn

Just a thought mate,not tried this,but a 'lightbulb' moment :D  :D You could try sticking some Tamiya masking tape to a flat clean surface,giving it a coat of black paint,then cutting out the hinge shape with a sharp scalpel blade.Simply stick in position and a thin coat of poly in position will seal the hinges in place.Don't know for sure this would work,just 'thinking aloud',but may be worth experimenting.Failing that,paper would be my choice,cutting out thin brass is a lot of work for minimal gain when the same effect can be achieved with a lot less hassle.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Jason & Nigel for the advice..  though I'm realllllllllly not more skilled than you Jason.. I'm having to work it like a rodeo clown just to keep up with ye folks having a bad day ^_^  :D

Hmmm so black paper/card looks like the solution, as I mentioned the doors will be open (or more likely half open if you follow) but I don't have any plans to make them functional

Might try the Tamiya tape too Nigel. Though I do have very very thin strips of Brass plate.. same stuff I used for the Anchor Rope reinforcing on the Hatches, I can cut / file it 'fairly easily' .. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

If any other ideas spring to mind then fire away folks.. but the paper/card/Tamiya Tape idea may be hard to beat, especially with the space available too!

Stay Well

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Eamonn,

I think black paper of a suitable thickness, would work. As Jason pointed out, metal would probably look overscale.

Kester

Now I'm thinking out loud, but you could simulate a hinge by wrapping the end of the paper arms around a piece of thin wire

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks guys.. looks like paper it will be, with an attempt at the hinge part as per Jason with a small piece of wire !

Wish me luck !! :rolleyes:

Stay Well

Eamonn

PS I'll try to get a photo or two as soon as I can !

Hi Again Folks... It's Photo Time Again.

The wee doghouse is almost finished, just a little tidying up to be done, oh and attach the doors of course (not forgetting the various handles too)

The rope hand rail ring (where it attaches to the sides of the doghouse will be painted black.. they were painted black to begin with but it seems to have rubbed off in the fitting process !!

The steps are glued in place but no other deck fitting is permanently in place as yet (I threw in a close up photo of the 'L' shaped Anchor Rope reinforcing brackets on the forward hatch coaming)

By The Way I had one of those slow motion 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' moments earlier as I was gluing the roof arrangement onto the Doghouse.. Clamps were being used to secure the whole affair when suddenly a clamp slipped causing the near total collapse of the doghouse.. there were doghouse sides, sliding roofs, rope hand rails & coamings flying through the air just like Cirque du Soleil !! How I kept my cool I'll never know ^_^ ^_^ I just calmly reassembled the whole thing.. very Zen moment :rolleyes:

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn a.k.a. Mr. Keep Calm & Carry On.. :D

post-5925-0-91053800-1406226214_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-15018900-1406226218_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-73506400-1406226220_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-07285400-1406226223_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-60287800-1406226224_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-02517800-1406226226_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-51121200-1406226227_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nigel and Robert, I tidied up the Doghouse paint-work today, it looks much cleaner, some of the marks visible in the photos from earlier are a result of the 'Noooooooooooooooo' moment :o :o :rolleyes:

Will put the doors in place next week (I have a BBQ to go to tomorrow) then look at doing the rudder !

Thanks for stopping by folks

Be Well

Eamonn

Hey there B.E. .. we must have posted at exactly the same time.. Thanks for the kind words .  We don't want to have tooo many of those moments though ! :D  :P

E

Edited by egkb

Small Update..

I freed the rudder from its surround gave it a sanding to put a slight narrowing towards the stern..

Handles have been put onto the sliding roof and the doors..I picked up some card to make the hinges I'll assemble them tomorrow.

Quick Question, The Rudder Head.. what colour should it be painted?  Red to match the insides of the bulwarks or Black .. The Rudder outboard parts will be White at the bottom and Black above the waterline as per the hull.. Do I take it also that the Tiller will be the same colour as the Rudder Head?

Thanks in Advance

Eamonn

Hi Gang.. am struggling to do the hinges in paper, they become very very brittle through using CA glue to bond them in place, else it's because the paper/ca glue isn't a good combo.. will persevere though !!

I might even try to do some in the thin brass I have !

Don't forget the Question in my last Posting (above)

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

Thanks for all the 'Likes' by the way !!

Oh and I get my Camera back this weekend... I hope !!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^  So photos will follow shortly !

Eamonn,

I'm sure your perseverance will win through – after all everything's hinging on it! :)

As to the rudder head and tiller, I should paint them whatever colours you think looks best. I don't think there were any particular rules about it. I left the rudder head on Sherbourne natural, and painted the tiller white, which I think looked good.

Entirely up to you though!

post-427-0-56128500-1406826423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester