HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Just some photos of the latest additions (to go with my Post No. 32 above).. All the Bulkheads are glued in position, the deck is only 'dry-fitted' to assist in aligning the B/Heads.

In the Stern on shot, you may just be able to make out the 'thinning' of the Keel where the Stern Post will go to assist later planking (it is the beginnings of the Rabbet) but following great advice I haven't extended the Rabbet forward, this won't be done until 2nd planking (Thanks again to all those who are helping me along, it is much appreciated!)

Sláinte,

Eamonn

post-5925-0-17431900-1395406315_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-67822600-1395406316_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-81275900-1395406317_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-82552000-1395406318_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-85982000-1395406319_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Nigel & Wayne, Yea!, so far so good.. famous last words eh! right up there with General Sedgwick commenting on his men ducking for cover.. "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."   (oft mis quoted I know but, sounds soooo much better ^_^ )

Take Care Guys,

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn

That grove that I was telling you about on the bow stem to receive the hull planking. I did not have a picture of my own so I borrowed this one from a scratch schooner builder, it show just what I was trying to tell you,    Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

attachicon.gifpost-697-0-60141300-1386412523.jpg

This picture is amazing, not only because it is a beautiful boat being hand-built, but it is... in the person's kitchen!  I sense a very, very dedicated and tolerant partner lurking somewhere out of frame!

cheers

--cb

Completely agree Craig, a very nice looking bit of work going on there!

Thanks for the photo Lawrence, and it goes very well with your previous text, it does seem to be very 'Rabbet' like, and as such is indeed something which I will be doing (after 2nd planking in fact, to give a better idea as to where to put it exactly)

Remember Folks All advice is welcome no matter how trivial you may think it is.

Thanks in Advance

Sláinte

Eamonn

Hopefully will be able to get some Filler Blocks done in the next day or two.. pictures to follow soon after :P

Latest Update Hot off the Press..

Bulkhead Fillers are almost done, just have the Aft most pair to do tomorrow (those between No 10 & 11 B/Heads, they will need to be tapered to fit No 11 as it slopes backwards)

They have really made the whole structure rigid! I feel now that I can bevel away happily without having to pick bits of bulkhead up from the floor, ah jeez! there are those 'famous last words again..'

Will hopefully have some photos tomorrow as it is too dark here at present.

Thanks for checking in folks.

Sláinte

Eamonn

Photo Update to go with Last Post above..

Got the last of the Filler Blocks in place, some were roughly bevelled/shaped prior to being glued in place. 

They will be properly shaped together with the Bulk Heads as soon as the glue has set on the last of the Blocks.

Tip of the Day, If using the same style of 'Keel Clamps' as I have (2 pair of 90 degree angle pieces, screwed to the build board) be sure to leave them 'loose-ish' before putting the Filler Blocks in place, as you may end up with the devils own job of getting your nice precious build free of them other wise! (on account of not being able to unscrew them afterwards) This almost happened to me but I spotted the issue in time! Phew ^_^

2nd Tip of the Day.. and this one is a doosey!!! Check your Measuring Devices.. Why you might ask? Well in my job I have spotted rather substantial differences between Rulers, 5mm difference between 2 separate 30cm rulers when laid together! So if you ever wonder how a 'twice or three times' checked measurement ends up wrong, then do please check your measuring devices (particularly if you use more than one measurer) Hope that makes sense.. :P

Anyhoo Here's the Photos..

Sláinte.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-49252200-1395406380_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-17688700-1395406382_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-49447600-1395406383_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-61966500-1395406385_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Newsflash....

- Bulkheads and Filler Blocks are now all bevelled/shaped .

- Stern Counter Frames are gluing as we speak.

- False Deck has been dry fitted & sanded flush with the edges of the bulwarks.

- Stern Counter & Stern Facia removed from their 'matrix' and sanded, I removed the Stern Counter early to help the 4 X Counter Frames in line as they glued.

- Bulwarks are soaking in water prior to being gently shaped around a 'straight sided' mug. Thanks Jim for that tip, see his Ballahoo build to see what I mean  at 'HMS Ballahoo by jim_smits'.

Here are a few photos of the Shaped Bulkheads and Blocks, compere them to the shots from yesterday above to see the difference.

Thanks for checking in

Bye for Now

Eamonn

post-5925-0-82915200-1395406426_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-47346500-1395406428_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-72660800-1395406429_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Very satisfying when it starts taking shape like this. Looks nice and smooth.

Tony

Totally agree Tony, when it gets to the point where you can easily visualise the lines of an actual boat you do kinda get that happy feeling.. this is of course just before you glue the bulwarks on upside down of something and the 'warn fuzzy feeling' is replaced with a feeling that is a lot less 'fuzzy'... :mellow:

Thanks for looking in Tony, and thanks too for the 'like' Jim.

Eamonn

Latest Hot off the Press...

- Have painted the areas that may be visible beneath the various gratings black.

- Have glued the 2 Stern pieces (Fascia  & Transom) in place.

- Have 'bulked-up' the top of Bulkhead No 3, it didn't meet up with the Bulwarks when I dry fitted them after overnight bending around the mug.

- I also 'bulked-up- the bottom of Bulkhead No 2 where it came up short to the base of the false keel, it now has a more satisfactory 'run'

- Sanded and generally tided up the last 2 above points above.

Next Bulletin soon... cue 'busy & important' music.. fade out.  :P

Eamonn

Looking ship shape.. You.are really making sure everything is thought out.. I like it all. Can't believe your two rulers could be that much out!! Ollie n

Hi Ollie, thanks for popping over from your build.. The rulers were in work! and the differences were amazing (we have a load of them at various places and I was getting some odd results, that's when I spotted the differences, not so much of a problem if you are just using the same one all the time.. but when you take a measurement and take that measurement someplace else then you have issues)

I have just come downstairs from fitting and gluing the deck in place, no photos yet as the whole thing looks like a Hedgehog with pins and clamps holding the athwartships camber in place against the natural curve of the deck in the Fore & Aft (it looks like a Saddle :P )

Will let the glue set then tomorrow will see how the Bulwarks work out, there seemed to be some strange stuff going on at the very tip of the bow when I dry-Fitted them, I refer to where the Port & Starboard Bulwarks meet up, doesn't seem to be much room for the Bow Timber piece and even less room for the Bowsprit to poke through (I offered one of the 6mm Dowels up to the hole and no chance of it fitting, even though it will have a taper! I rather suspect that the 2 bulwarks DO NOT actually meet up but leave a slight gap, which will be planked later on (the Plan seems to have them meeting though)

If anyone has any thoughts or if the other Ballahooers out there have seen this then do please let me know what you think.

Cheers For Now

Eamonn

Oh and thanks for the like Nigel, and to all the others who have taken a wee looksee at my build.

Hi Eamonn

You will have to take a picture tomorrow with the bulwarks in place so we can have a looksee.My gut feeling is to ensure that they run true with the hull and adjust as necessary later at the tip.Because of the acute angles involved(just like your rabbet line :) )I think it is a big ask of caldercraft that this end detail would be perfect.I won't be online till later tomorrow.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for checking in Lawrence, hopefully we'll have a few photos later today (it's 2 in the morning over here, and am about to call it a night ^_^ )

Take Care Mate.

Eamonn

All Righty Then, here are those promised photos..

The Bulwarks are dry fitted only, the issue I was having doesn't seem to be sooo bad this morning (the issue was that there didn't seem to be a whole lot of room for the Bow piece and the Bowsprit to fit, the photo shows the Bow Piece too) Well, the Bowsprit issue is resolved as the Plan actually calls for this hole to be enlarged, Lesson Here.. Examine the Flippin Plans :mellow:  my other issue, AKA 'Why wont the Bow Piece Fit?' can probably be addressed using the same solution as per the Bowsprit and that is 'File the Bulwarks down a bit !' Simples..

The other photos show the Transom and Stern Fascia fitted in place. 

Next Up, Glue the Bulwarks in place (after a touch of judicious filing of course for the Bow Piece Gap, I won't go tooo mad on the Bowsprit Hole just yet, as this spar has to taper somewhat!)

Then onto Planking, and this inevitably is where it all goes pear shaped.... :huh:

Thanks for looking in, and remember if you see me doing something you think I shouldn't then feel free to put me right ( I usually mention in advance what my next steps are) Call it a Build by Consensus ! :P

Bye For Now,

Eamonn

post-5925-0-96442200-1395406485_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-07741200-1395406488_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-36105700-1395406491_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Ok then, we have the Bulwarks glued in place, No End of 'Faff' involved there as plans say to be sure that it reaches the top of all bulkhead 'Horns' well that aint gonna happen as said horns vary in height somewhat! also if you keep the tops all level (Bulwark & Bulkhead Horns) then you are unlikely to meet the top of the transom, so I had to 'interpret' it a bit by keeping Transom /Bulwarks Level, some of the midships B/Heads Level and the Fore Most B/H level.  Later when I do the Sherbourne this will have to be done exactly as the Cannons won't fit if the Bulwarks are misplaced! but on the Ballahoo it shouldn't be a problem as there is no ordinance towards the stern (Oh Oh! those famous last words again.. :mellow: )

I'll cut out the Capping Rails tomorrow to make sure the Lines of the Bulwark are ok in relation to it, so there is no guarantee that they are in their final position!!

Below is a quick photo of todays work..

Bye For Now.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-53009100-1395406545_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Hi Eamonn

Looking at the pics,my only concern is the gap is tapered and not parallel.Have you checked the height of the bulwark right at the tip of the bow?Just worried incase the very front of the bulwarks wants to go up a bit,this would make the gap parallel.If all is ok,I would try and bridge the gap with some ply offcut from the bulwarks and then fill otherwise this area may be prone to cracking.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel, I have just had a look at it now that it is actually glued in place and fitting a little better, and all seems 'fairly' parallel, I chose to go with a slight opening at the top which removed the taper, I also filed out a little gap to accommodate the Bow Piece!

Also I couldn't wait until tomorrow and cut out a Cap Rail to test the lines.. PHEW all seems ok! I'd say about 85% of perfect (nothing sticks out where it shouldn't !) and there is enough 'play' in the cap rail should any discrepancies show up later.

Thanks for the help Nigel, always appreciated!

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Hi Nigel, I have just had a look at it now that it is actually glued in place and fitting a little better, and all seems 'fairly' parallel, I chose to go with a slight opening at the top which removed the taper, I also filed out a little gap to accommodate the Bow Piece!

Also I couldn't wait until tomorrow and cut out a Cap Rail to test the lines.. PHEW all seems ok! I'd say about 85% of perfect (nothing sticks out where it shouldn't !) and there is enough 'play' in the cap rail should any discrepancies show up later.

Thanks for the help Nigel, always appreciated!

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

No Problem mate,I think our posts crossed in cyberspace because you hadn't posted that update when I was writing my post :D Yours will get priority anyway,working for CNN :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel