HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Right Back At You Jonny  :P  :P (PM wise)

Holty it is a cracking good bit of kit.. ok I accept that a drill will produce good results too but for sheer convenience ..  having 2 centers really makes a difference ..!!

Thanks for dropping by guys

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Right Back At You Jonny  :P  :P (PM wise)

Holty it is a cracking good bit of kit.. ok I accept that a drill will produce good results too but for sheer convenience ..  having 2 centers really makes a difference ..!!

Thanks for dropping by guys

Eamonn

How much was it mate?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Euro price.. a special offer give away € 145 to the door .. normally around this price Sterling undelivered!!.. couldn't say no as you may guess. Ebay .. unwanted gift I think..

E

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

All righty then.. the Starboard side deadeyes & chains are fixed in place, no photos yet as all you will see are some lolly-pop sticks clamped to hold them in place whilst glue sets.. and I don't think anyone wants to see that.. except maybe all you ahem ahem 'Clamp' enthusiasts   :P   I know who you are... shame in you !!  :D  ^_^  ^_^

All the Best Folks

Eamonn

Hi Folks.. Photo Update this time !!

Well the 'Channel' Deadeyes (Lower Deadeyes ??) and Chains are all in place now, they are nuttin' special to write home about but are merely OK.. put it this way if I thought I could do much better I would rip them out and begin again  :P  :P   Hmmmm possibly I'm being a little too hard on them as they look grand.. ('Grand' is another Irishism by the way.. not as good as 'Deadly' but way better than 'Brutal'.. though a synonym of 'Brutal' is 'Savage' which is better that 'Deadly'.. go figure! :huh:  .. OK you are all caught up now on Irishisms..  :rolleyes: ) Anyhoo they are Grand !!

I'm afraid I lost the light to take a better photo, but sure it's Grand isn't it.. !!  ;)  you can just make out the Deadeyes and some of the Chains.. the Deadeye strops were chemically blackened as I didn't paint them prior to installing the Deadeyes  and would have made a mess trying to apply paint afterwards !

That's All For Now, Thanks for Stopping By..

Slainte.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-48788500-1417538034_thumb.jpg

Eamonn,

Looking very nice and don't those open cabin doors just invite you to go below, and share a glass with the skipper?

I think you've done a good job on the deadeyes and channels – I say 'think' as the photo is at a bit of a sharp angle to tell exactly. Any chance of one more broadside, er, on? :huh:

As for the clamps, I wouldn't know. :rolleyes:

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks Guys.. I actually laughed out loud over here (LoL'ing in fact) reading those comments..

Must be time for another issue of Pegs Pins & Clamps then eh?

You can never have enough Clamps!

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks for the visit David and the 'Like'.. always appreciated !

More Photos.. and a little extra  :huh:  :huh:  ^_^

Eamonn

PS the paint work has to be tidied up around the Gun Ports a little, and the outside of the Channels isn't in place yet so don't be too hard on me  :P

post-5925-0-54290800-1417547874_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-92528900-1417547892_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Eamonn,

Thanks for the photo – nice work.  :)

Btw, I take it that's the big bumper autumn edition of, ehem, P,P and C? Looks like some interesting in depth articles there. ;)

Kester

Kester, It's a special Christmas Edition.. full of great gift ideas .. and all discreetly packed too !!  :P  :P  and to hear the truth about Pegs.. Well what can I say.. I'm amazed ! :huh:  :huh:

I have a question for ye folks out there...  David who is a friend of mine here on MSW is also building Ballahoo and has just shaped the masts, his Ballahoo is done in the Walnut as per the kit , and as the supplied Masts are light wood he stained them dark to match up with the hull etc.. alas the stain went blotchy, do ye good folks know of any remedies for this (aside from painting them Walnut coloured.. which was my first solution.. my 2nd was to pose the question to ye more knowledgeable guys & gals on here)

Cheers for Stopping by Nigel (haven't heard anything from you in a while.. hope all is going brilliantly!) and Thanks Also to the Likes !

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

Eamonn - haven't used it myself, but I've seen people use a 'sanding sealer' for just this problem.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey There Jason, Erm stupid question for you.. The Sanding Sealer.. is it used before Staining or does it help fix the blotchiness caused by staining?  told you it was a stupid question  :P

(you see David has already stained the masts which went blotchy, so fingers crossed that it is used afterwards ^_^  ^_^ )

E

Oh, :huh:, I think you need to use it before staining.  Wonder if its worth trying sanded it a bit, using the sealer and then staining again.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I tried for a while to stain the light dowels with no luck and gave up, although I never used sanding sealer, and ended up painting.

Could you try ordering some walnut dowel and using that? Should take stain and varnish far better.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Firstly, many thanks to Eamonn for posting my mast problem on his build log.  Secondly, thanks Jason and Jim for your suggestions.  Prior to posting, I've tried to remove the blotchy stain by white spirit, then isopropyl alcohol and then sanding but without success.  I think I'll start with Jason's idea (sealer, then staining again) before going on to Jim's suggestion of walnut dowel.  Hopefully, this is all good experience for my second build! Again, thanks Eamonn.

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Hi mate

Your letter to Santa looks very similar to mine :D

I had never had much success with stains although others swear by them.I personally prefer just to use a wood of the correct colour.I once tried staining some dowel and wasn't happy with the result.Seems the best wood for masts in kits isn't the best for taking a stain :(

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel.. I think david is going to paint instead  :D

Spy, I'll sign you up for 'Pegs Pins & Clamps' then ..  :P  :P  We connoisseurs can NEVER have enough Clamps..  B)  B)

E

BTW    I've begun the guns..  :huh:  (think that sentence makes sense anyhoo.. Begun The Guns.. Yea It's Fine!)

Looking deadly Eamonn ( hope I got it right )

Real clean and tidy.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You got it right Mobbsie.. Thanks for dropping by and for the compliment  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

You too Lawrence, good to see you back after your little holiday in the snow  :P

I'm putting the Guns together at the moment.. only 4 of them unlike you guys with Aggy & Vikky.. I think I'd be hitting the bottle if I had as many as ye guys had to do !

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks for the Likes too folks, always appreciated !!

Eamon,

Your Ballahoo is coming along nicely.  Nice job on making the masts.

In regards to walnut masts, I 'burnished' the walnut masts to dark and even finish.  I used a 1" cherry wood craft block, the same blocks I use to square the bulkheads to the false keel.  The burnishing gives a hard and smooth finish and no poly required.   You can see the results in the third photo from this MBLS build log entry:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4670-muscongus-bay-lobster-smack-by-dee-dee-from-midwest-to-chapelle-124-small/page-7#entry19102

Ha!  You're writing "Pegs, Pins and Clamps" and I'm writing "As the Plank Cracks".   If we collaborate on a book, we could call it "How to Crack a Plank and Clamp it Too"!

You letter to Santa is similar to mine.   :rolleyes:  

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

I'm a long way behind you Jim.. just the Anchors and you'll be fin !!

Hey Again D.. Thanks for the info re masts, David should find it useful !  Pegs, Pins & Clamps  could deffo use a Stable Mate.. I see fame, Stardom and a Publishing Empire ahead of us  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  though we may have to charge a small fortune for each copy as our readership demographic would be somewhat limited to say the least  :D  :D

Thanks for looking in Folks

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

No new updates folks.. Just want to wish ye all a Very Happy Christmas and New Year (or Happy Holidays & New Year as the case may be, my sentiment is the exact same  :D  :D )

I'm still working away slowly so see ye all after the Holidays and we can get cracking once again with more 'Pegs Pins & Clamps'..  ^_^  ^_^

Bye For Now

Eamonn

Eamonn,

All Best Wishes to you and yours this Festive Season. :D

I'm sure we all can't wait for the next update (with pics) of your log, and whatever else that might entail... ;)

Kester

• 3 weeks later...

Still sloooowly working away Lawrence.. alas nothing of any importance to be worthy of a photo or two..  the most recent thing I did was to replace the walnut 'rings' where the masts enters the deck, the new ones are turned from a lighter coloured wood and I'm much happier with them and their shape!

Thanks for stopping by.

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Edited by egkb