HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Thanks for looking in David & Bill.

David re position, the plans should give us some idea for the location of the 'support' and I will deffo be doing it before stepping the mast.

Bill, thanks for the input, there is no 'Boom Jaws Support' provided with the kit it is an extra we are putting in place based on 'reality', one of my reasons for putting one on the fore mast is partly to help stop the Mast Hoops (also an add-on by me) from falling down too far  ;)  ;)

I won't be putting a Boom Rest (for the aft end) on the Fore Mast for the exact reason you gave but will make up one for the Main Mast..

Thanks Again Guys

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Lawrence, the little bits-n-bobs are almost finished and simply awaiting placement.. ('Simply' !!! what am I saying, I'll be lucky if I don't manage to glue Ballahoo to my elbow or something   :P  :P  :P )

All The Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,

My, you have been busy! Can't wait for the pics! ;)

I agree about the boom rest for the foremast – it's like wot he (Bill) said! I can quite see though you'd need a (technical term) 'mast hoop falling-downer-preventer'. :P I take it from that you won't be having sails?

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Kester & Nigel ! great to hear from ye both .  Thanks for the confirmation Kester.. looks like the Mast Rest for the Fore Mast is out !! I'll have to create a Mast Hoop Anti Fallin' Downer Device though.. to be known as (cue sinister music)  'The Device' !!  ^_^  ^_^  :rolleyes:

Oh and as you gathered I'll not be doing sails on this build  ;)

Thanks for the Rudder bits compliment Nigel  :D  though I fear I may have given ye all the impression that there are Huge advances on Ballahoo when in reality you'd hardly even see some of it unless there was a big Photoshop created Red Arrow pointing to it .. :P  :P

Got another small bit done today.. I drilled and sanded out a 'Rectangular' hole in the Rudder to take the tiller (bet ye are all breathless with anticipation to see that eh?  :rolleyes: ) and I cleaned up the scuffed paintwork around the rudder fittings too !

Photos Soon I Promise  :huh:  ^_^

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

Thanks Too For All The 'Likes' .. Always Much Appreciated !! 

• 3 weeks later...

At Long Last A Photo...  :D  :D

As I mentioned previously there was loads of small (unworthy of individual photos I felt) work going on aboard Ballahoo for the last few weeks so I thought I'd best photograph something least ye all think I've abandoned the Build and taken up Crochet or something !!

Anyhoo... Here's an update of what's being going on:

-I made my own 'beefier' Tiller Arm as the original kit supplied one was only meant to be 'stuck' onto the front of the Rudder and I wanted it to go through the rudder as per the real world with a 'wedge' the the back to hold it in place and reinforcing pieces on the rudder above and below it.. you can see my version in the accompanying photo, some more work will be needed on it though! btw the bit of tiller arm sticking out at the back will be trimmed to size, possibly thickened up before putting the securing wedge through it.

-The 'Spectacle Plate' (or whatever it is called) is in place on the Rudder, you can just make it out in the photo slightly above the 'waterline'.. had a 'Moment' there cos I managed to stick it onto the wrong side of the rudder, but I spotted it after a few seconds.. There wasn't any cursing or profanity or anything over it.. Honest !! Cough Cough..

-I made up a couple of different sized Rings that will be needed for example to attach the Chains to the Rudder Spectacle DooDah and for use on various other Deck/Gun Eyes etc.. I chemically Blackened them

-Found a length of Chain which I also Blackened.. I feels the right size for Rudder Chains so I'll cut it to length shortly and fit them.

-I sized the 2 Gaffs and the Boom also.

In the Photo you'll see the Chimney and the 2 Mast Rings which may or may not be covered by a 'Mast Coat' later.. Oh and I made up a bunch of Mast Hoops also 8 or 9 per Mast (not in photo)

As you can see I've finished redoing the Waterline and installing the Gudgeons & Pintles so I'll be moving onto the various Deck Furniture next.. All of which is assembled and waiting to be put in place..

Ok then enough Writing.. It's Almost Photo Time.. Exciting Stuff eh?

All The Best Folks and Thanks For Stopping By.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-07954500-1429799023_thumb.jpg

Eamonn,

Crochet, huh? I was thinking more quilt making, but there you go... :D

Anyway, a very nice rudder and tiller – and I'm sure much better than the 'thing' they supplied. If it was a round fitting that went over the rudder head, as on the Sherbourne, I'm not surprised you changed it. You are now eligable to enroll in the Venerable Order of Rudder Changers.

As I said before it looks like you've been busy and I'm sure we look forward to seeing everything in place. So, on to the deck fittings... ;)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Thanks Kester.. the kit Tiller was pretty ok, it had a nice shape!  just that it wasn't long enough to go through the hole I made in the Rudder.. Now if I hadn't made the hole in the first place !!  ;)  ;)

I'm just down from putting another watered down coat of paint on the tiller/ridder top.. few more to go and I can start fitting all in place !

I'll send in my application form to the VORC along with my first years subscription.. can I put those initials after my name do you know ?  :P  :P  :P

Thanks for the Likes also folks

Eamonn

I'll send in my application form to the VORC along with my first years subscription.. can I put those initials after my name do you know ?  :P  :P  :P

Eamonn,

I would think so, but you'd have to check with the, er, steering committee! :D :D

Kester

Oh no, I think you may need to remake the rudder Eamonn, that one is all out of focus!  Seriously, that rudder has a lovely shape to it, nice job.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Kester... That's sooo bad it's actually good !! LOL

Hey There Jason.. More sanding must be needed to remove the Blurriness.. that'd work right?  :huh:  :huh:

Should be able to get the chains done tomorrow and fit the Rudder, then onto the deck and the sticky up things with string attached !  :D  Woo Hoo Rigging.. Oh Wait  :o  :o

E

Hi Jim.. Thanks Mate (haven't seen you for a while now.. hope Snake is going well !) here's another photo of the stern  :P  !

This photo was taken through my Magnifying Lamp Thingy (Brilliantly useful bit-o-kit by the way.. €35 in Lidl.. I bought 2 !)

The edges distort in the most amazing way when you photograph through it.. kinda cool effect, but suffice to say Ballahoos stern doesn't look this bad  :D  :D  (the waterline is straight for instance.. Honest..  ^_^  ^_^ )

Anyhoo it was the only way I could get a shot of the Chains etc.

All The Best Folks

Eamonn VORC 

PS Thanks for looking in folks and for the Likes .. Much Appreciated .

post-5925-0-61677600-1429884588_thumb.jpg

That's a fine job your doing matey.

When I first looked at this build I thought what's the Ballahoo going on here. then realised it be a ship, but no ordinary ship.

Great work and keep it coming.

What ever scale, there are lots of tips to be going on with.

Proper job.

Frank :piratebo5:

Thanks Frank.. Those Frikkin'  Chains were nearly the Death of Me..  ^_^ ^_^  ( Tip of the Day.. try to assemble them OFF the boat.. then drill your holes for the 'eyebolts' and glue in place.. I I put the eyebolts in place then had to try attach the Rings & Chains to them .. Ahhhhhhhhhhh etc) 

I can also see the potential benefit of one of those 'Keel Clamp' affairs.. I had to do the chains with the hull upside down, not ideal I assure you  :(

It was worth it though as I'm well pleased with the result  ^_^  ^_^

Eamonn

Hey There Nigel.. I was just thinking the same thing myself earlier re Profile Shot.. I'll get onto it over the weekend (lost the light over here right now I'm afraid)  probably be Sunday before I sort it though..

Thanks for Looking in Mate and for the Compliment !

Eamonn

Remember Folks Any Questions/Comments Then Please Fire Away.

Weather Improved so I took that Profile Shot.. or Two   ^_^  ^_^  (I know.. I'm losing the run of myself with all these Photos lately.. :D  :rolleyes: ) They have been popped into the Latest Full Profile Section too.

Comments on the back of a Fiver.. address provided upon request..  ;)

Bye For Now..

Eamonn

post-5925-0-96490000-1429896628_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-53650800-1429896639_thumb.jpg

Excellent work Eamonn.  I've already got your address, so fiver on it's way!  You've inspired me to have another look at the positioning of my chains.

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Thanks David, the exchange rate is in my favour too :D  :D .. btw there is a section on here (MSW) dealing with some questions on Rudder Chains (I typed this into the search box in Forums and up it popped (a little way down the page)  it might help you out, there are some photos and lengthy discussions there.. pretty in-depth stuff .

All The Best

Eamonn

OK Folks I got a little bit more done today..

The Chimney is now fixed in place, and I made up some eyelets/rings for around the Masts (they have been chemically blackened)

Not much of an update I know.. but sure it keeps the ball rollin'   :D

All The Best

Eamonn

BTW the Mast 'Coats' (or wedges wotever) are only dry fitted as I haven't made up my mind whether to put 'canvas' on them or not.

post-5925-0-41831500-1430140527_thumb.jpg

Thanks Frank, it's good to have the hull the right way up again after my 'revisit' to the waterline !

And Thanks for the Likes too Folks !

I was originally going to put the Chimney just aft of the Fore Mast (immediately behind the rings) but felt that it looked slightly better where it is now as this area would be fairly 'empty' otherwise (aside from the Pumps of course)  Wait 'till you see.. something important will have to go there now that I've forgotten about.. the Radar Antenna or something ..  :huh:  :D  :D

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Eamonn,

She's looking tremendous – some sort of Ballahoo benchmark, I would think! :)

I imagine it'll be a little while before you get to the masts and rigging, though, with the guns etc? I'm still somewhat intrigued by the different sized gunports – and what goes through them! :huh:

Kester

Hey There Kester.. Thanks for the Compliment.. I'm all blushing over here  :blush:  :blush:

The Large GunPorts were to accommodate the Kit supplied guns (as per the plans).. the kit guns are way too big for what they were meant to represent so I upgraded to proper scale ones, which are literally half the size (see photo) .. alas I already cut the ports out (this is early on in the build remember)   

All The Best

Eamonn

post-5925-0-26361600-1430303912_thumb.jpg

The Large GunPorts were to accommodate the Kit supplied guns (as per the plans).. the kit guns are way too big for what they were meant to represent so I upgraded to proper scale ones, which are literally half the size (see photo) .. alas I already cut the ports out (this is early on in the build remember)  

Eamonn,

Right. So the upgrade, is a sort of downgrade then... :D... ;)... :huh:

Kester

Very nice work Eamonn.  The different colored wood on the deck (binding strakes?) is a really nice touch.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)