HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi again J.

She is 30.3 cm Bow to Transom (Extremes) and 9 cm on the Max. Beam. My future builds (Convulsion & Sherbourne are just a wee bit bigger) hopefully will be starting Sherbourne in the next few weeks as I'm at the first planking stage on Ballahoo here (just a bit of housekeeping to do on her before I begin, checking the run of the planks/ final faring tweaks that sort of thing)

Take Care Mate

BTW how goes Emma?

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

'Call it a Build by Consensus!' :P

Eamonn,

Sounds better than a Build by Committee!

Just catching up with your build, and I see your getting into the nitty gritty of it – and coming up with solutions. I'll be following this one too!

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks Kester,

Pull up the proverbial chair and prepare for some laughs as I attempt to plank.. I have a container load of Filler on back order (in fact I think I may have cornered the 'Filler market' ) :P

Sherbourne is only a few weeks away from having her Keel Laid (I allowed myself 1st or 2nd planking on Ballahoo before swapping over)

Thanks for dropping by.

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,

I'm certain it won't be as bad as that – and you do have to leave some filler for others.

Looking forward, of course, to your beginning on Sherbourne. :)

Kester

+++++++ Newsflash +++++++++ Newsflash +++++++++ Newsflash +++++ Ok you get the picture :P  I was doing it Telex style!

Emm All Righty Then...  I have laid the first strip of planking on both sides, so far no drama (or Filler, but it is on stand-by)

Photos as soon as I actually take some (I had to nip out to pick up some Map Pins to help keep planks in position)

More Shortly as the News comes in (sorry couldn't resist Nigel)

Eamonn

+++++++ Newsflash +++++++++ Newsflash +++++++++ Newsflash +++++ Ok you get the picture :P  I was doing it Telex style!

Eamonn,

Yes, I can see up in Time Square on that moving news strip (whatever its called) right now... mind you the people down below look rather confused!

I take it this is the garboard plank, the awkward one? If so, did you cut a rabbit, sorry, rabbet? Looking forward to a picture of this momentous event. :)

Kester

Hi Kester,  I started at the Bulwark, both sides, went down 3 planks and am now letting things dry. I might just keep on working down as this is 'first' planking and let things 'fall as they may' at the keel (2nd planking may be different, I will see how this goes ^_^ )

I am following Nigels advice not to cut the Rabbet till after 1st planking, that way I will see exactly where it has to go (admittedly it is cut at the stern section of the false keel to about 1/4 way forward, to where the bearding line goes horizontal at the keel, as this section needed serious reducing in order for the double planking to fit the Stern Post, which won't be fitted until much later to ease sanding) then fit the Actual Keel and Bow Pieces.

Thanks for looking in Kester

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn

You are right in not bothering to overthink the first layer.In fact it is better if you don't follow the rules,just let the planks lay how they want to.This provides a stronger hull as your planking joints are far less likely to line up through both layers and letting them lay naturally will give you a better shape with less sanding and possibly little need for your filler stash.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I will be painting the lower hull with 'White Stuff' aka Admiralty matt white paint, the Rubbing Strake (actual name escapes me, it's the extra thick planking effectively at the waterline) will be black and the topsides will be natural (I'll be asking about 'Wipe On Poly' at some stage so be ready!! for instance what is it? name suggests Polyurethane that you 'wipe' on with a cloth not a brush) incidentally the 2nd lair timber is Walnut which will be replaced for the topsides with something much lighter in colour, Beech perhaps, I ordered some timber yesterday with this in mind for all the ships I'm doing!) Inside the Bulwarks will also be painted, Red of course.

Thanks For Tuning in Folks..

Eamonn Out

Eamonn,

I think you mean the 'wale', perhaps?

Sounds a good colour scheme, but I'm just wondering about the white stuff below the waterline, especially as the model is quite small. Perhaps an off-white? I actually used ivory on the Sherbourne, which apart from not being too glaring, gives it something of an 'old' look.

You might try it on a test piece and see if it works.

Just a thought.  

Kester

Hi Kester, I think you are right with the 'Wale'. 

And an off white sounds perfect. Amend last to read Off White ;)  I hope I remember Now.. feel free to remind me!

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn

Keith Julier used to swear by Dulux Barley White emulsion,one test pot might do all three of your builds ;) I can't help with the wipe on polyurethane as I have yet to come across somewhere in the UK that sells it(que lots of people posting where to buy it :D  :D )

Kind Regards Nigel

Eamonn,

That looks good too, and it shouldn't be too shiny.

Keith Julier normally has some good tips.

Kester

I must look out for some of his stuff.

E

Just had a quick look on Amazon, they aren't too dear (paperback versions) is there any specific one that is 'better' or are they all worth a look?

Edited by egkb

I must look out for some of his stuff.

E

Just had a quick look on Amazon, they aren't too dear (paperback versions) is there any specific one that is 'better' or are they all worth a look?

You really are asking a question there Eamonn :D  :D I have all four and they are all well worth the money.The best suggestion I can think off is you start with the first one(Royal william on the cover) and buy all four over a period.Working on the basis of they will become unobtainable in the order they were published.Aside from the featured builds there are very good general sections towards the back.I suppose you could say he was very much my mentor in the days before the internet (I know,when dinosaurs roamed the earth,etc,etc :D  :D )

Kind Regards Nigel

Jeez Thanks Nigel and I'm even older than you... :P  Dinosaurs weren't even invented when I came on the scene so...

Eamonn

Will follow your advice though re the books, probably begin next week!

Yea, they gave me leave to swing over there and show them how to do it.... ahem ahem, in fact I was so successful that if you take a close look you will see that Andy got mine in about 3 mins!!  I might as well have written the name of the ship in the question!

Eamonn

Eamonn, or is that Methusala?,

I agree. I have Period Ship Handbooks 1/2, but yes, I would think they are all worth a look. As you've probably found out, the books are based on his building of various kits, not just from the box but with added touches and improvements to make them more interesting. He also gives many useful hints and tips, making the builds more logical than as given in the instructional manuals. Bit like MSW!

I don't think the Ballahoo, unfortunately, is one he built, but for anyone building any of those that he did, his review of the model in question (often running to several pages) is certainly worth having. As Nigel said, they are worth getting anyway.

Mind how you go now... :)

Kester

Thanks Kester, are ye two on commission from Amazon by any chance? :P  may lodge some more money in the bank next week and start buying them..

Considering I retired from Shipping about 26 years ago I don't think Methuselah is too far from the mark Kester (ok I was 21 when I was forced to retire, but still)

Eamonn

aka 'I remember Noah when he was a young fella' :huh:

This is getting more like Hancocks half hour by the minute.Apologies to non UK residents,it was a comedy program.On a more serious note,The books are worth every penny Eamonn and exceptional value for money.I dare say you could get all four for less than Bernard Frolich's one book.

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.3mins is even quicken than the one I got of yours Eamonn :huh:  :huh:

Ok next post from me will be a serious one, and hopefully include a photo or two folks

Eamonn

Hancock was class though, but don't get me started on 'The Plank'.. remember that?

Eamon, 

Abes Books UK has some Keith Julier books available at a much better price than Amazon.    

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination