HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Be careful Kester :D Are you in receipt of said blocks?or are they in what we now know to be the black hole,the mail order ether :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Nigel,

You have me worried now – they're still out there I'm afraid. :o

Actually I'm not that worried. I get them from here, and had a reply email confirming my order soon after:

http://clasicmodel.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

I've dealt with him before, and he has been reliable. They're very nice blocks btw, ready to use and already stained and polished. Sorry, but I think most kit-bought blocks are c---p, even though Caldercraft blocks are probably the better ones. 

However, I will need a suitable triple block soon (fitted at the end of the bowsprit – for the topgallant stay and the topsail braces) but they only sell them in packs of ten. I only want one, and I'm not sure I'll be using many elsewhere. So, if anyone knows where I can buy a suitable block, perhaps in smaller numbers...? I'm not really into making my own, but if I can't find any, I suppose I'll have to resort to modifying one of the Caldercraft ones. :huh:

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi All, Had to do a little reconstructive surgery earlier today, not too much just that I was unhappy with the fit of some planks against those above them, particularly around the gun-port areas so I popped them off (I originally laid the strake full plank length across the ports, but when I examined them after removal of the Clothes Pegs and Clamps I saw slight gaps, so I rough cut the planks to expose the ports and in so doing made them shorter thus allowing them to sit better)

Still no photos as I don't think anyone will wish to see a bunch of Clamps & Pegs, unless of course someone has a 'Clamp & Peg' fetish! that case just sing out and I'll take a few pikkies for you.. I won't judge.. honestly (you are after all talking to a 'Plank Taster' remember) :P  :P  :huh:

It's all go over here on Ballahoo eh!

More exciting updates later.. ^_^

Eamonn

Ok Ok you talked me into it here's some Gratuitous Clamp & Peg And Pin Shot's.. ;)

The layer visible with the Pins in, is just there to compress the 2nd layer against the top one!

post-5925-0-68692900-1392896927_thumb.jpgpost-5925-0-79691600-1392896940_thumb.jpg

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

You had me there for a minute. I'm like, show me the pegs boyo :) looks really good. Nothing like a good clamp down. Keep them pick coming mate

Hey Ollie, thanks for popping by, a discrete Subscription to 'Clamps, Pegs & Pins' is on it's way to you.. :huh:

Sail 'er Easy..

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Good to see it is all go in the Arklow shipyard buddy :) There are many ways to get more clamping force on the planks,but once you get past the bulwarks,there are some clamps that may come in handy.Just google Miskin models and you should see some planking clamps shown.These are like a small screw with a plastic handle and they have an ear on them to hold the plank.They do provide more grip than map pins and the screw goes into the first planking adjacent to the plank you are fitting.One thing a sometimes do if the plank refuses to lie hard against is neighbour,is to glue a little block of scrap wood to the first planking with Cyano,then cut a tiny lime wedge to force it over.when the glue is dry,just cut the little block off.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Eamonn,

I'm not sure the way this log is going! :huh: However, any chance of a free 'Clamps, Pegs and Pins', issue No 1,  by way of a trial offer? You mentioned a fetish ... :)

Good call on your bulwark planking. I think it looks better to fit the planking around the gunports, rather than planking across and cutting them out afterwards. Btw, it looks as though you might shortened the legs of your stand, the forward one more than the after, am I right? Hmm, I've seen that before somewhere... :rolleyes:

Good tips, Nigel.

Kester

Hi Guys, 

Nigel you have me wondering if I can make up a set of those 'Miskin' clamps now.. ;) What caused thi small 'issue' is that there is virtual Edge Bending going on here required to follow the flow of the bulwarks top edges, this will ease itself the further down I go thankfully due to subtle plank shaping, I will only be taking the 'natural' planks as far as the waterline (Well 1 plank or so  further to be totally accurate) than back to the original supplied walnut (as the White Stuff will be going on there)

Kester, Yea, not planking over the gun-ports is the way to go! sooooo much easier to fit the planks and you don't have to mess around cutting them out afterwards!

The Stand is 'as it comes straight from the box', did you trim yours down a bit?

Incidentally the Issue 1 of 'Clamps, Pegs & Pins comes with an introductory free Map Pin!!! and is shipped in its own discrete plain envelope, to avoid untoward attention & embarrassment !   Not for the Faint Hearted as it is Racy Stuff.. :huh:

Sail 'er Easy Folks

Eamonn

Big Thanks to all the 'Likers' also..

Hi Eamonn

The clamps are simple,only thing that stopped me mass producing a load,was the inability to find suitable screws.The threads on the clamps are very small in diameter,but very coarse in pitch.This stops them from simply tearing the wood.Dr Mike in his dvd we spoke of early,edge bent his planks by placing them flat on a surface and placing a hot domestic iron on them,he then applied pressure on the plank using his hands in the direction of the bend.I haven't had occasion to try this myself yet,but it obviously worked.If you have some of the plank nipper type plank benders you can use these to do the same thing.If you work the plank nipper along one edge of the plank,but only go halfway across,it shrinks the nipped side inducing a sideways bend.Be careful not to go to deep and space your 'nips' out evenly.The more 'nips' the bigger the curve.The plank will curl in the other direction,but this flattens out when you glue it to the hull. ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Tip For Today:  Don't leave 1st layer planking material lying around the Shipyard when doing 2nd layer planking with different yet visually quiet similar wood!!  I think you can guess the rest.. :(  (luckily I caught it before going beyond 1 single plank!) PHEW.. 

Especially after me waiting so long for the right timber..

To quote Kryten from Red Dwarf.  'Engage Embarrassment Mode.. Embarrassment Mode Engaged.. :wub:    :wub: '

Sail 'er Easy Folks,

Eamonn

Just a quick update to let ye all know that 2nd planking is continuing slowly, 3 strakes complete on stbd side and 2 on port.  All ye Clamp, Peg & Pin fans would think all your Christmas's had come at once... there are that many of the things sticking out from the Ballier  :P

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

Hi Eamon - I'm sure you'll fix the mix-up, after seeing someone make a similar mistake on the old site I was especially conscious of this (think they got the decking strips mixed up).  Anyhoo - wanted to ask you how you were cutting your planks around the gunport, are you cutting it exactly (if so, would love to know your trick) or keeping a small overlap to finish back later - I found this the very devil to do with the walnut seemingly splitting all the time.

Love the pins and clamps by the way...maybe some more photos from the stern?  B)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey Jason, long time no hear!..  I'm leaving plenty of overlap around the gunports  and will use a combination of scalpel and sanding to get them flush (I just keep running the scalpel down the plank a few times and eventually it goes through!)  I'm not using the kit Walnut for this area so it's splitting isn't an issue, though I will be going back to the walnut for the lower part of the hull (which will be painted with the proverbial White Stuff)

Will have to wait until after the 'water-shed' to post photos of the stern, and they may have to have an 18 cert.. 'All in the best possible taste though'.. ^_^

Take Care.

Eamonn

I see a flaw in your cunning plan Eamonn,the watershed over here is not the same everywhere else due to time differences ;) I would be especially cautious if 'clamps and pegs' are involved on the stern pics :D I would advise waiting until Kester is safely tucked up in bed ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Don't worry I haven't forgotten ye all.. work caries on a-pace, another row and a bit completed today...

News Flash's of this calibre must make for seriously heady reading...

Might even have a photo tomorrow to add to the drama ! :huh:

Bye For Now

E

I would advise waiting until Kester is safely tucked up in bed ;)

Nigel,

Thank you for your consideration. I actually slept quite well, and dreamed of...

Eamonn,

A picture? I'm not sure I can stand the excitement. :o

Kester

Photo Update Time... Taaa Daaaa!

Am just about at the level of the Wale on the Starboard side, few more to go on Port to catch up..

I had an extra plank on the stbd bow but wasn't happy with it to popped it straight back off (it needs to be shaped better)

The further down I go the quicker things will move as I move away from Scale Size planks and onto full length ones.

Anyhoo enough chat, here's the main event.. ^_^

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-27523800-1393501519_thumb.jpgpost-5925-0-70954800-1393501535_thumb.jpg

Nice!!!  Going to look great the way you have done  a pattern to your hull planks instead of continuous lengths...

Thanks Ollie, I reasoned that as she is such a small boat, you are effectively looking at her from a much closer distance than say a Victory or an Aggie etc., thus the plank detail would be more apparent even at 1:64, once the 'clear varnish' colour goes onto her the contrast between the Caulking and the planks shouldn't be so pronounced  (not too sure which clear coat will be used though, hence all the previous questions to folks about 'Wipe on Poly'..)

Thanks for stopping by Ollie, and a big thanks to all the Likes, tis very much appreciated !

Sail 'er Easy.

Eamonn

That answers a question I was going to ask, which was how you managed to fit a single plank along the top edge of the bulwark. The answer being it is many lengths of plank instead. The reason I ask is that one of the rules of planking that I have seen is that planks should never be bent laterally, and that is what would be required.

I think the angle I will attempt is to fit my second planking from the bow, parallel with the keel, and then add 'stealers' to plank upto the top of the bulwark at the stern.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim, I would recommend adding the stealer as you have said (my reason for doing it as I did is that looking at the plans there seemed to be 4 or 5 full width planks between the Wale and the top of the Bulwark, and as I was changing from Dark Walnut to a much lighter coloured plank, and was 'showing' caulking, I wanted the Wales to run level with the bottom of the 4th or 5th strake all the way along. As I think your plan was to perhaps paint this area between Wale & Top of Bulwark then this isn't so vital (you mentioned liking the colour scheme of a previous Ballahoo build, which seems to be painted 'Nelson' yellow in this area, that's why I say this :P )

The plank shaping as a consequence of this running the planks along the top is why I'm going so slowly at present, though they are beginning to run smoother as I go down (having said that though the bow still requires a little shaping to be done)

Nigel, I shall opt for the Add On Wale, which will be an extra plank run on top of the 2nd layer I'm doing now (2 plank widths wide) and shall be painted black, I'll be running another much narrower (2mm wide x 1mm thick) piece parallel between the Wale and the top rail which will also be painted black.

Hope all of that makes sense guys,

Eamonn

Nigel, I shall opt for the Add On Wale

Eamonn,

As long as you don't opt for an add on 'whale' instead. :D Seriously, she's beginning to look very nice indeed – and that planking looks top rate.

I would, personally, continue with the scale length planks. I don't think it would take that much longer, and I think you will get faster as you progress – although that's not the name of the game, of course! The planks will probably show up when she's done, and you'll catch yourself looking at the hull occasionally and see the joints (I sometimes do this with my Sherbourne). You might even find it easier to work with shorter plank lengths, especially around the bow.

It's entirely up to you of course but, whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll do a great job. :)

Kester

Thank Kester, I shall take your recommendation under advisement when I switch over to the Walnut, after-all I'll be going around 1 strake past the Waterline with the Maple anyhoo (and as you say it will go faster as I progress)

Your Sherbourne has the White Stuff too so I'll take it the joins will show through the paint!

Thanks for the suggestion Kester

All the Best

Eamonn

Your Sherbourne has the White Stuff too so I'll take it the joins will show through the paint!

Eamonn,

Yes, I believe they will, although I actually used ivory below the waterline. That, or off-white, tend not to be so stark – and the ivory I used gives the hull that old look (goes with me). I'm with Keith Julier on this one, although his models were rather larger, which would make plain white stronger. I forget for the moment which colour he went with, but I think it was a Dulux tester pot he used.

The joints between the planks will show through, not markedly but enough. My planking of course is clinker, but I would think it would show up on carvel planking to some extent too – provided your paint layers aren't too thick! :P

Btw, if you go the scale plank route, it's probably a good idea to cut a number of planks at the same time. I have an Amati plank cutter for this job, which has proved useful. Be careful too when you get to the walnut, it tends to be a brittle, and bits flake off.  ;)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Hi Kester,  Nigel was telling me that Keith Julier had a preference for Dulux Barley White ! I picked up a wee Tester Pot of Dulux Natural Barley (all that was available!) a few weeks ago together with a Warm White to mix through it should it prove too dark (Manufacturers seem change their colours slightly, or at least to change the names every so often, so what to Keith J was a Barley White may now be the Natural Barley I picked up,  though I have just had a quick look at Dulux's Colour Chart online and Barley White isn't there (Natural Barley is but it is under 'Warm Neutrals'! and looks a rather 'deep' cream.. admittedly trying to judge colour on a computer is a dangerous thing as sooo much depends on the calibration (or Lack of..!) of your screen... I will see soon enough :P )

I rigged up a little 'jig' to help me keep the plank ends square, which I will adapt to keep lengths the same shortly! I might take another look at the Amati Cutter though, as my jig is a little on the Heath Robinson inspired side  ^_^

Many thanks Kester for looking in and for the tips & advice, always appreciated!!

Eamonn

Sorry to hear of the lack of success with the paint Eamonn :( I remember the ads on Tv,when Dulux was advertising whites,but with a hint of whatever.These were supposed to be a 'soft' alternative to brilliant white.It looks like their range has changed somewhat.

Kind Regards 

Nigel

Not a worry Nigel there are plenty of different whites out there and I haven't discounted the Natural Barley.. :P  especially if I mix some of the Warm White into it ! worst comes to the worst it will make for a good undercoat over the Walnut timber and they were only a couple of Euro anyhoo (there are plenty of Off Whites where I work so I can experiment happily, particularly as I'm the one who uses them ;) )

We can always resort to that 'old chestnut' Magnolia !!! :mellow:  :mellow:

Eamonn