egkb

HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi again Lawrence,

Thanks for the visit and the kind word,  yea, I used Maple for most of the 2nd planking (all the top 6 or 7 strakes on the bulwarks area) it cut well, sanded well and seems to look well but remember being new to this I have little to compare it to! (only the original kit supplied stuff, which admittedly wasn't so bad, I refer to the 'pale' wood of 1st planking not the Walnut ! the 'pale' wood is listed as Lime Wood btw.. things get odd here though as the deck timber in the instructions is called Maple, yet in the 'Contents List' it is called Lime and it looks very similar to the 1st planking material!!)

Pop back later Lawrence as I'm sure some of the other folks would have a better opinion on this.. for example Nigel is doing brilliant things with Pear & Dee_Dee is making the dreaded Walnut look simply amazing.. to list only a couple!

All The Best

Eamonn

Guys I just did a check as per Nigel and there is a pretty obvious mark left in the supplied deck material.. and nothing obvious left in the Maple.. conclusion the Supplied Material is Lime (does that sound about right?)

Would ye recommend changing it? and to what?  I am guessing the answer to the first part is Yes !! now what about the 2nd Part.. :huh:

The Supplied Timber is 4mm X 0.5mm..

I can order enough for my other Caldercraft builds too

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks Nigel for that, I was a bit 'anxious' over the 0.5 mm part of the deck work for the reasons you mentioned as I'm not the neatest builder and my work can require a 'clean-up' sanding!!

I think I'll order some more Maple from CMB later (I still have some wider pieces left and I kinda have a hankering to do the Middle 2 Planks at 6mm instead of 4mm, I also have some Beech in the 6mm & 4mm thickness which could give a nice contrast on the deck if put in the right place, say 1/3rd out from the Centre boards .. not set in stone, just an idea to play with! ^_^ )

Thanks again Nigel

Eamonn

Just placed the order for the Maple in a few different widths.. hopefully it will be here before I need it this time.. :P  ^_^  ^_^ :mellow:  

Still a bit more to do before I get to the decking stage so fingers crossed..

Next up:

Much Sanding!! and maybe a little filling where it will be painted.. Oh and some Photos too, can't forget them :huh:

Bye For Now

Eamonn

Hi All.. Photo as Promised are below..

Have Completed 1st Sanding Phase and discovered a small few 'Dips' in the planking, due it would seem to slight Inconsistencies in the 1mm thick planks, will have to watch out for this in future! tis no biggie though as I've plenty of Filler in reserve!!

2nd Sanding wont be happening until Sunday at best due to work, but it will give me occasion to examine those 'dips' more closely and open my Filler Warehouse..

The Gun Ports have been filed out a little accurately more but there is 1mm or so to go, I want to complete inner bulwark planking before finishing them properly. The First & Last Ports are to be cut to the Cap Rail too.

I have Angled Files coming in the post as we speak and hopefully they will arrive just before my timber order for the deck (I need to file down the Bulkhead Spurs which I removed a few days ago before addressing the deck.. have to get the Order of things sorted too re Spirketting, edge of Deck Planks, Painting etc. before going too far)

BTW Contrary to appearance in photos the hull is exceeding smooth, even at this stage.. Honestly !! ^_^  ^_^  :mellow:  

OK Photo Time..

Sail 'er Easy Folks..

Eamonn

post-5925-0-25641900-1395405753_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-06070400-1395405755_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-62161100-1395405756_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-86549700-1395405757_thumb.jpg

Teeny Weeny Update..

2nd Sanding done, Small amount of Filling done & sanded, Stern Post in place and Gluing as we speak, Hawse Pipes drilled out.  Next up 'possibly' the Wale (I say Possibly as I'm not 100% sure what to do next as I'm waiting on my angled files to clean-up the insides of the bulwarks & deck where I removed the Bulkhead 'horns')

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

I've just joined MSW2 and this is my first post.  I'm recently retired, having no experience whatsoever in modelling, woodcraft, nautical terms etc, but am keen to develop a new hobby.  Rashly (perhaps?) I have the Schooner Ballahoo on its way to me in South Yorkshire (from Cornwall Model Boats) as I'd convinced myself (from limited research) that the Ballahoo was a suitable novice project.  Having read your very impressive build log and seen examples of your quality craftsmanship I'm beginning to wonder whether I've overreached myself as currently, I don't know a bulwark from a bulkhead; but fortunately, I've now got the time to learn these things.

Anyway, I wanted to say many thanks for your very informative log which I'm sure is going to help, if not inspire, me to see this project through the many challenging times ahead.

Regards,

David

Hi David, Am glad to hear that there will be another Ballahoo up and running here on MSW, the help on here from other members is immense to say the least (it has been such a help to me in getting things moving)

I glad my log is of use to you, and any questions you have please please feel free to ask, If I cannot answer there will be someone else here who can!

Get a build Log going (and if you could let me know about it here that would be great :P ) would love to follow along another 'Ballier' Build ^_^  Just take your time with it and you'll be fine.. oh and always look ahead to the next step (and further ahead if you can) that way you won't be caught out later down the build !

Welcome to MSW by the way.. ^_^  ^_^ ^_^  

All The Very Best David

Eamonn

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement Eamonn.  I've just been emailed by UPS to say Ballahoo will be delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed!) so the excitement/apprehension is mounting!  I don't know about a build log at this stage; given the steepness of my learning curve it's going to be weeks before  I would be confident to even get beyond opening the box and checking the contents,  so given my anticipated slow rate of progress it would probably turn into the longest ever build log in the history of MSW.  I have to say that I am also very impressed with the quality of the articles/advice available from/to members on this site.  Currently I'm trying to absorb the excellent articles on planking but I'm getting myself into a bit of a lather as they appear (to me) to suggest different approaches; is there a particular article or method that you would recommend I focus on?

Regards,

David 

Hi David, personally I just got stuck in and laid the planks from 'Top to Bottom' they fit almost perfectly ! you'll see when you begin (Ballahoo is planked in 2 layers which lets you get the feel for things with the 1st layer.. it really is simpler than it sounds especially on Ballahoo where the planks are 'full length' from front to back (so to speak) with in my case only the smallest adjustments needed !

I am not exaggerating when I say that I don't have much talent in this sort of thing (really I'm not, you'd want to talk to my friends!! ) but by taking my time and looking through MSW for similar ships I got a feel for what was required (the saying 'If I can Do It Then Anyone Can' is not lost here by the way) I will admit though that my knowledge of Boat 'Shapes' has helped (in that I have a good idea as to what something should look like) but it isn't crucial to completing any build!

You are already way ahead of me.. it took me months (4 or 5) before I had the confidence to Lay the Keel.. then I wondered what the delay was ^_^  Just don't glue anything until you have Test Fitted it at least once and remember if you make a mistake you can always Un Glue it (there are means!) and do it again.  Get yourself a few Good Tools, Scalpel Knives, Mini Files, Lots of Sandpaper etc and away you go, seriously it is fun (and you will get a kick out of setting up your Build Log and talking to people about it, some smashing folks on here who will be only too glad to help)

Have a look at Build Logs for 'HMS Sherbourne' and 'HMS Pickle' these are similar small boats to Ballahoo (and from the same Kit Maker) so the builders will all be doing similar things!

I really look forward to seeing your posts (or pop on here and let us know how things are going)

Take Care David

Eamonn

UPS will be knocking your door in no time :P

Quick 'Heads-Up' Folks...

I have the Wales in place (many Pins used, !!) and have put a little Re-enforcing at the Hawse Holes, hopefully some photos tomorrow !

Cheers

Eamonn

Photo Time.. WooHoo  (I know I know, I really spoil ye.. ^_^ )

The Stern Post is in place, and the Hull is pretty much finished with sanding (it might get the odd gentle rub as I progress though)

You can see the Hawse Hole (where the Anchor Rope would go through the hull) re-enforcing I put in place, it isn't called for in the 'Plans' but I kinda figured it to be an area that would have been built up to combat wear 'n tear ! it hasn't been fully shaped & filed totally smooth yet .

The Wales are made from  2@  3 x 1 mm Beech lengths I had in stock, and will ultimately be painted black. The wale hasn't been shaped properly at the stern yet, but isn't too far off (possibly a little filling required at the very after-most part to blend it into the transom)

See I haven't been slacking off.. much.. ^_^  ^_^

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

PS Still no Deck Timber.. and it was sent this day last week, fingers crossed for next week then :huh:

post-5925-0-01441200-1396012337_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-73336900-1396012338_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-92306300-1396012339_thumb.jpg

Hi Eamonn

You are doing a great job on your little ship the Ballahoo, she sure is looking great from this end, to bad that you do have to wait so long for timbers to continue your build,  maybe in a day or so you will be back in your old ship yard building away again,                                                       ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence                                               

Thanks Lawrence, here's hoping! I'm actually contemplating putting a thin coat of clear paint on the outer Bulwarks to help protect them (they are to be left natural, well by 'natural' I mean coated with a Clear Matt Poly or similar stuff that I picked up !) I am constantly conscious of them getting grubby!

I might begin this tomorrow after a few test pieces of course ^_^

Thanks for Stopping By.

Eamonn

And Thanks to all the 'Likes' too.. always much appreciated!

Thanks Richard, I've only just come from the workroom after making a 1 x 2mm piece to go about 2/3rd of the way up from the wale, I followed some advice from MSW  build logs and filed a shape into a Blade which I then used it to groove the 1 x 2mm, this is now painted black and will go on tomorrow after a bit of sanding/painting (& repeat).. hopefully.. Then I will put the Clear Matt stuff on, didn't think it best to do that yet as it might have interfered with the gluing of the 1 x 2.

That's the plan anyhoo.. and it is open to change, cos I'm kinda 'winging it here'.. :mellow:   ^_^

All The Best

Eamonn

Hi there Eamonn,

I just had to say that your planking looks fantastic and I love your wood choice too!

Good luck with the Postman!

Thanks Bindy,  let's see what next week brings.. ^_^

Have a Great Weekend, well what's left of it anyhoo..

Eamonn

Welcome to Ballahoo By The Way :P

Edited by egkb

Woo Hoo !! Deck Planking in the form of my Maple Timber arrived this morning.. brace yourselves for a bunch of Decking 'How Do I..' type questions.  I'm talking Nibbling the planks/edging (or is it 'Notching' Hmmm ) at the bow/stern sort of questions..

You Have Been Warned :mellow:  :mellow: :mellow:  

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Not outa the woods yet Bud, still have one more parcel on the way.. Ahhhh!!! restraining order on standby ^_^  ^_^

Eamonn :P

Just A Quick Photo Opportunity of where the Ballier stands at the moment..

The painting isn't  finished, it will meet the waterline later, which hasn't been drawn yet. 

I'll be trimming the Black Timber Piece (fashion Piece ??)  between the Gun Ports later.

I have sorted out the Inside areas, sanding etc, in readiness for laying the Deck and inner Bulwark Strakes.

Sail 'er Easy Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-11345900-1396368078_thumb.jpg

Hi Eamonn

That is great news that your timber has finally arrived so that you can get on with your deck planking, your schooner sure is looking great, with all of the extra work in skill and details that you keep adding, keep up the great work, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Thanks Nigel & Lawrence for the encouraging posts, and to all the Likes. 

Am about to begin Planking the Insides of the Bulwarks now, remember there will shortly be Plank Joggling questions, so brace yourselves (I understand the principal and what needs to be done but are there any 'Do's & Don'ts' tips!  :P )

Bye For Now

Eamonn

Warning Extreme Peg & Clamp Photo Follows .. Viewer Discretion Is Advised.. :rolleyes:

First Strake done on both sides of Inner Bulwarks ! Woo Hoo..

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Photo Below !! Careful Now..  :huh:

post-5925-0-70642900-1396439707_thumb.jpg

Down With That Sort Of Thing..  :rolleyes:

Edited by egkb

St Tibulus would be proud Eamon!  Think you'll find the interior bulwark planking relatively straightforward, only think to be aware of is how the top strip will lie - I had a small challenge on Snake as the top plank had to be tapered very thin, but it was all very manageable.  In my (very limited) experience, planking the deck before doing the inner bulwark can help cover any 'gaps' between decking and bulwark to give a cleaner look (but it may be a bit late for that :)) .  You could also add a thin strip directly above the deck for spirketting which achieves the same result, but not sure if thats appropriate for Ballyhoo.  Hope this makes at least a semblance of sense.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Thanks Jason,  Ah yes, The Passion Of St. Tibulus.. :rolleyes:  Classic !!  I have begun the Inner Planking as I was going to do the Joggling Thing..  nothing like making it complicated eh? admittedly I was going to put a Spirketting around it too, you mentioned that this might not be appropriate, was it only done on larger boats? (hope not :huh: )

Thanks for stopping by bud.

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

Your Ballahoo is looking good - gives me inspiration and hope that one day my build will look like that!  I've had a good balsa day and hope to dry fit the blocks tomorrow; I'll send you a photo if it all works out.

Kind Regards,

David 

You mentioned that this might not be appropriate, was it only done on larger boats? (hope not :huh: )

Didn't want to give the impression its not appropriate, basically I just don't know :huh: .  My guess would be that its a basic construction principle, but I'm sure others could comment more authoritively.  Using something 0.5mm thick gives a pretty subtle result thats hard to argue with visually.  Just be careful now.