HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi All,

This is my first proper wooden boat build, I say proper because some time ago I began building the Bounty from those magazines that came every week (you may be familiar with them) and though she turned out reasonable enough (I'm about 80% complete, just the Rigging to finish) the instructions (there was no 'plan', just text with photos) left a lot to be desired and makes even the simplest task awkward.

Last Summer I came across MSW and having read and followed many build logs I decided to buy a proper kit, in fact I bought 3 over the past few months! Sherbourne, Convulsion & Ballahoo all at 1:64 and all Smallish Vessels (This is just a personal preference)

Anyhoo, I have decided to do Ballahoo first, and possibly stagger the others over the coming months.

(The first time I opened the box and was hit by that pleasant wood smell, reminded me of those old wooden pencil cases from school :)  Oh! and it was great to unfold 'actual' plans too!)

Right lets begin..

Whilst the Keel and Bulkheads were still in their 'Matrix' (or whatever the wooden surround is called) I oriented the Matrix to the appropriate instruction sheet (in the Booklet) and numbered each piece, as some of those bulkheads may end up in the wrong slots on the Plywood Keel (am sure it would be easy to spot, but why take the chance)

I then removed the Ply Keel and all the Bulkheads using a Jewellers Saw (tried using a craft knife but ended up having to apply pressure, which didn't sound like a great idea) All items once freed got a light sanding and were then 'Dry' Fitted (see Photos) So Far So Good..

I shall cut a Rabbet and Bearding Line etc (as per Jim Smits and his Ballahoo) though the Plans/Instructions do not call for them, it seems logical when you take the Ply Keel dimensions and 2 layers of Planks into consideration.

Should anyone wish to offer advice, please feel free to do so.. it all helps and I would be very grateful.

Take Care

Eamonn

post-5925-0-91412300-1395406151_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-53758100-1395406154_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-03620700-1395406156_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-14457600-1395406157_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-22654500-1395406158_thumb.jpg

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Great to see you have a log up and running Eamonn :) Am I right in understanding that you are going to run three all at the same time?There will be no time left for name the ship :D  :D I wish you all the best and shall follow along.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for checking in guys and for the Likes, it really does give encouragement!

Nigel, I will be attempting them all, but staggered by a few weeks or so. Admittedly there may be a bit of a gap at the beginning so that I can get my head around things (and it is a Cold Build Room too at this time of year :)

Thanks Again Folks

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Greetings Eamonn,

Glad to see another Ballahoo on the stocks. I started mine just after Christmas but have been struck down with a bit of a stomach bug and am taking some time to get over it, penalty of old age I expect.

One thing I did notice is that the #2 bulkhead on mine stopped a little short of the bearding line so I've had to beef it up a bit. Have you noticed any similar problem?

I must ask; in your photos are the B/heads glued in place or are they dry fitted?

I ask because I am planning on 1st planking before attaching the keel proper and have and bevelled the false keel for the rabbet. Now I wonder if I will be able to get an accurate fit later after 1st planking. What's your plan?

Patrick M.

Hi Eamonn

Congratulations on starting your build log which I will follow with great interest, the very best of luck.

Regards

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Thanks for stopping by Glyn (perhaps I'll have the beginnings of a Convulsion in the coming weeks) :)

Hi Patrick, My bulkheads were only dry-fitted and have been removed from the Ply Keel at present so that I can begin bevelling, they will be re-fitted (again 'Dry') to establish Bearding lines etc. It is too soon for me to notice any shortfalls in the bulkheads as this was purely a fit test, though I suspect I will fit the Walnut Keel (after cutting/filing a Rabbet) but will leave off the Rudder Post till much later. So she will be planked with the Keel in place! (I have just had a quick look at the photo (above) showing No.2 B/Head and it seems to be a little high also, will have to give this area a serious examining when they go back on!)

Having said all that, I planked my Bounty (both layers) before fitting Keel, Rudder Post and 'Bow' Piece, I used walnut coloured filler to take care of any gaps and you would need to look very closely at these areas to spot the 'filler' (Bounty is coated using Danish Oil, put on with a cloth) If you plan on painting the Hull then you really shouldn't have a problem (besides you would probably have to turn her upside down to notice any filled errors, and even then it would be next to impossible :)

Thanks again Guys

Eamonn

No worries Wayne, I've been following your Emma C.. Talk about pleasing lines on a boat!! I think there will be one in my future (hopefully a distributor will set up this side of the pond, unfortunately they are expensive to have shipped over !)

Take Care

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

The Ballahoo has become a very popular build and on my list for a future build!  

Your photos show you're off to a good start and I will be following!

Cheers!

Dee Dee 

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks Dee Dee and Jim for dropping by, remember if you have any advice then please don't hesitate to put me right (this goes for all ye folks out there too) :)

Next up is a spot of bulkhead bevelling, then Rabbeting & Bearding (Then contacting Caldercraft for replacement parts 'cos I made a mess of things :) )

Eamonn

Small Update:

I now have the Bulkheads sitting flush with the top of the 'False' keel (ie at their correct depth) and have begun to draw the Rabbet/Bearding line.

Patrick (Ganymede) Bulkhead No 2 does indeed seen to sit a few mm higher than the others (at the bottom that is, nearest the Rabbet area) I cut out the 4 Plank Termination Patterns (part No's. 13 & 14) and dry fitted them, showing that B/Head 2 is higher, not sure yet what action I'll take as I haven't shaped that area yet ie bevelled the Bulk Heads,  I'll ask Jim if he encountered any similar issues.

Eamonn

Another small update: Bulkheads are now roughly bevelled to the correct shape. and I have the beginnings of a Rabbet in place and a Bearding line in place, am trying to decide whether Bow and Stern Filler Blocks will be needed (I had planned on putting them in but not so sure they are required now! will have to see) normal filler blocks filler blocks will be put in place between the B/Heads.

That's All For Now Folks.

Eamonn

BTW.. Does anybody have any passing thoughts re the Bow & Stern Filler Blocks? (it is a very small area to fill  on these boats!)

I certainly found the bow and stern filler blocks useful for the planking in those areas. I don't think I could have done without them.

Tony

Hi Eamonn

I agree with Tony,filler blocks make the job a lot easier,I still use them as I see no point in struggling.I have stopped using balsa though.Even if you just use DIY store softwood,it gives you the opportunity to pin between the bulkhead positions.Looking at your hull,I would be tempted to fill the first two bulkheads.This would give plenty of fixing area where the planks join the front edge.

Kind Regards  Nigel

Thanks for stopping by Nigel and for the advice.

Remember to shout out if you see me about to make gaff.. :) (unless of course I actually am making a Gaff for the boat! :) )

Eamonn

My pleasure Eamonn I will follow along mate ;)  Only other thing I can think of is if you leave your walnut keel off until after first planking it makes sanding a whole lot easier.You can then tape the bow piece in place and scribe the keel rabbet using a piece of outer planking.It is easier to cut the rabbet to follow where the planking will sit rather than make the planking fit the rabbet if you see what I mean.Because of the angle the planking strikes the keel at the bow it can be easy to have a gap if you do the rabbet before hand.I hope this makes sense :huh:

Kind Regards Nigel

Makes perfect sense Nigel, in fact I am at that point right now, I had marked in the Rabbet and was looking at where the Bulkheads lower parts sit in relation to where said Rabbet should go (along the join of the false keel former and the actual keel piece) compared to where it actually fits! (Parts of the Rabbet seem like it should be a few mill higher, particularly at the first 3 B/Heads near the bow)

I'll follow your advice in this and leave off the Keel Pieces until later, then carve the Rabbet based on the result!

I think I'm ok at the stern re Bearding Line and Rabbet there as it needed to be thinned regardless, the bow was the thing that made me stop and think (then up popped your advice :).. result!)

Eamonn

Yeah you won't have any problems with the stern Eamonn.It is just the bow.Setting the bow rabbet line to drawings is great when it is a single planked plank on frame build,but it doesn't always work like that with double planking,you don't know about manufacturers allowance for the planking plus how much you sand is a variable,so this is a safe way to ensure it works out.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks for stopping by Lawrence, I figured the planks would be wafer thin without it, especially at the stern where there was only about .5mm per side difference between the 'false' keel former and the stern post ! (double planked into .5 mm hmmmm that is seriously thin :) )

Eamonn

And Another Update, featuring Real Life Actual Photos This Time.. I'm really spoiling ye all  :)

Anyhoo..

I fixed up a building board and clamped the keel between two pair of 90 degree angles, would recommend getting these in line with each other least you induce a 'nice' bend in the keel!!

This let me set the keel down Level and Perpendicular with the board and allowed me to glue fit two bulkheads in place. I dry fitted another Bulkhead at the stern (B/Head No. 10, I think) which enabled me to put the deck in place (centred) to help align the 2 glued B/H's (the Red Clamp is just to keep the deck piece flush with the Keel)

I will let the glue set before continuing with the B/H's.

Question Time :)  (See Arrow on 2nd Image)

I notice that the 'aft most' outside edges of the B/H's sit out from the Deck piece slightly by 1 or 2 mm (Remembering the 'fore' parts are only roughly bevelled at this stage) as things stand this would leave a gap where the Bulwarks will meet the deck at a later stage ! Deck planking would of course solve this, but my Question is.. Should I sand these bulkheads flush with the deck?  I know that the 'fore' corner/edge of these B/H's is to be bevelled properly, but should I sand the rear corner/edges too (just the top 1 or 2 cm's where the Bulwarks would go, these 'Horns' are to be removed later anyhow) ?

Hope that question makes sense.

btw, the 2 bulkheads are fairly level with each other (perhaps 1mm or so out) it's just my photography that isn't 'level'.. :)

Take Care Folks.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-71368500-1395406244_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-32115700-1395406246_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-41401600-1395406247_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-66917800-1395406248_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Hi Eamonn

Personally I would wait until final fairing to see how things work out.If you are filling the first two sections then the deck will be supported and joined to the hull.When you start trying a plank for the run around the bulkheads you may find that you get a more flowing curve sanding the bulkheads back to conform to the deck shape.You may find if they are left the hull has a 'bleb' in that area when you try a strip around the bulkheads.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Andy, I haven't looked that far ahead yet (re planking inside the Bulwark) but I'm pretty sure there is.  I have just put a couple more B/H's in place and they sit nicely with the deck so I think you've nailed it in that it isn't something to worry about. Besides a few delicate taps with a sledgehammer should cure it.. ahem :huh:

Thanks for the advice and for looking in at the build.

Eamonn

Edit.. Hi Nigel, just spotted your post after I had done this one.. shouldn't be too hard to sand down if it proves to be an issue, we are only talking a mm or so, as Andy says, may be nothing to worry about!

Edited by egkb

Hi Lawrence, is that the illusive 'Rabbet' or am I picking you up wrong? if it is the Rabbet then 'Yup' that is exactly what I'll be doing later (following Nigel's advice in an earlier post) he recommends to do the first layer of planking before cutting the Rabbet, that way you can see exactly where it goes, and before attaching the Keel sections to make sanding this first layer easier.

Have I picked you up right, or have I shoot off down a wrong turning? :)

Actually on re reading your post I think I did take that 'wrong turning' and am now driving in the opposite direction :)

Eamonn

Edit.. Would I be a pain to ask if you have any pictures?

Edited by egkb

Ok Then, all Bulkheads in place and glue is setting as we speak.  That last one was a bit of a faf.. (No. 11, it isn't supported like the others but perches on the end of the keel former) I didn't use wood glue on this one but an 2 part epoxy, for extra security. 

Don't have any photos as that last B/Head is being held in place by a system of elastic bands, a clamp AND a Tape Measure (don't ask :) )  Will Post some tomorrow though!

Next up the Filler Blocks at the Bow & Stern, most likely will put small blocks in place between all other Bulk Heads to keep things rigid as I finish bevelling. 

All The Best

Eamonn

Edited by egkb