HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang.. Well I got some more done over the last few weeks and thought I'd best put a Photo Update on the Old Log-a-Majigger here.

I decided to paint the Ends of the Bowsprit.. The Whole of each Gaff.. The Ends of the Boom & the Mast 'Hounds'.

I fitted the Deck Rings for the Guns, though they probably won't be rigged.

And Last but not Least I fully assembled the Carronades and added the little 'Handle' for the Elevation Thread thingy & added the semi circular piece that the Carronade Bed 'rotates' on to the side deck of Ballahoo herself.

Next Up  Rig the Carronades.. I plan to only rig the Breech Rope & Side Ropes that pull the sledge to the firing position.. I suspect training such a small gun as this would have been accomplished by using a Bar to lever it around rather than using Training Tackles.. Ballahoo was only a small boat after all & built out in the 'Sticks'....  Any Thoughts on this Folks ?  :D  I can change it easily enough !

Thoughts & Ideas always appreciated Folks.

All-Righty Then it's Photo Time Again..

All The Very Best

Eamonn

post-5925-0-98266700-1433516003_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-97195800-1433516009_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-18544300-1433516015_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-57361000-1433516021_thumb.jpg

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi,

Great job. Your deck is beautiful. It seems that fittings are more accurate in your model than my Lady Nelson (same scale however). Or it's the talent of the artist.

I have a question: what kind of tools did you use in order to trim masts, yards, and booms: sanding paper and elbow grease ?

Regards

Current Build - Panderma Ferry

Completed Build - Lady Nelson

Thanks for the compliment B.. 

I did 'turn' the masts etc on a small wood lathe, but simply used sandpaper (emery paper) to shape them.. the same thing can be achieved by putting the dowels into a regular drill and spinning them whilst gently applying emery paper (or sandpaper)  I wouldn't trust myself with Lathe Chisels etc I'd probably end up with Tooth Picks instead of Masts & Booms   :)

Talent.. I'm not so sure  :D  :huh:  but I did have help from the brilliant members here on MSW who offered advice either directly to me through this Log or when I visited their Logs.. I cannot emphasise enough that I am average at best when it comes to this kinda thing, but by taking my time and thinking things through I have gotten to this point with Ballahoo.  Simply looking at the other builds on MSW has made me want to do the best job I can !

Thanks again for the Visit B and it is great to see you back at Lady N.     By The Way were you having 'issues' with her fittings?

All The Very Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn, looking sharp!  One question, can't quite tell from the light int he photos but it looks like your hounds are conically shaped (i.e. circular in cross section), think these should be octagonal.  Of course, please ignore if I'm out of order...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Dang Jason I didn't know that.. I blindly followed the instructions for the masts, never thinking about the conical shape being wrong !!

I shall have to have a think on this over the weekend and see if I can file the octagonal section into them (I think there is enough 'space' to do so without making the hounds too thin.. so to speak)

Is it still 'tapered' from top to bottom but Octagonal Cross Section instead of Circular.. if u follow? I assume so (look what assuming got me..  ^_^  ^_^ )

Never be afraid of being Out of Order Bud.. I'd rather know this stuff and at least stand a chance of fixing it rather than build to where I can no longer easily fix something !  :D

Thanks for looking in Jason, and to all the likes, as I say before it is always appreciated.. remember if u see anything else please let me know (unless it is major and requires going back to the very beginning or throwing Ballahoo in the bin.. in that case keep it to yourself and let me live in Blissful Ignorance..  :P  :P  :P  it's nice here and the Sun is always Shining... Blissful Ignorance ..Population 1)

Thanks Again Folks

Eamonn

Mayor of Blissful I.     ;)

Is it still 'tapered' from top to bottom but Octagonal Cross Section instead of Circular.. if u follow? I assume so (look what assuming got me..  ^_^  ^_^ )

Correct - and I think you'll be just fine filing down a bit, not much of a lip is needed for the shrouds.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Very crisp lines on your excellent paint job Eamonn. Following Jason's advice regarding your hounds, I've sent you a pm for further advice as my hounds will need the same (or more) attention/correction!  Every time I see your deck and fittings I want to give them a double 'Like This'!

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

LOL Thanks David.. Blushing over here at moment !!  :D  :blush:  :blush:

Take out times and we will get the Octagonal Profile filed into them..  I'm sure there is a tutorial on here that will explain 'how to' better than I can though  ^_^

Eamonn

By The Way were you having 'issues' with her fittings?

In my Lady Nelson, I don't particularly like cannon barels and culverins which are plastic.

Also iron anchors and pumps look fake.

Hope to see more update of your Ballahoo.

Regards,

Bibounde

Current Build - Panderma Ferry

Completed Build - Lady Nelson

Hi Bilbounde.. plastic cannons etc does sound bad for sure !!

I'm working away on the carronades tackles right now.. jeeez they are small (I upgraded to Chucks 2mm Blocks) but I'm getting there  :P

All The Best

Eamonn

• 1 month later...

Thanks Lawrence, I'm just taking a few weeks off at the moment.. There are major roadworks going on outside my build room and it isn't ideal for delicate work  :D  :D  (has been going on for the past 2 months and won't be finished 'till end of August..)

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks Dirk.. Can't wait to get stuck in again.. soon as the road works are finished !

All The Best

Eamonn

BTW loved the little boat u built over on HF.31 !

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks.. Sorry for the total lack of updates.. the road works outside are continuing (unfortunately) so building will be 'down' for a little longer ! ..

Hope Everyone Is Keeping Well !

All The Best

Eamonn

Hi Folks.. Sorry for the total lack of updates.. the road works outside are continuing (unfortunately) so building will be 'down' for a little longer ! ..

Eamonn,

I'm sure the road works must be annoying, but you really shouldn't keep offering them tea – that tends to lengthen the proceedings (and I hope they're not going to dig it up again!) :D

Never mind, I'm sure we'll still be here when you resume.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks Kester... The Noise is Appalling here and my build room is right beside where they are operating.. no Tea and Bikkies for them ;)  :P

Eamonn 

Thanks Lawrence... the noise makers will be around for a few weeks yet I'm afraid   :(  Thankfully it isn't continuous (they are working at various points up and down the road, but they will be laying the Black Top shortly) it's hard to start anything delicate (am at the Threading of Blocks stage) as I don't know where they will be from day to day  :huh:

Thanks Again For Stopping By

Eamonn

• 4 months later...

Sorry Folks for being away for sooo long .. has been a hectic few months (new job and a shiny new relationship too) but I am beginning to get the building Buzz back.. have a few days holidays due and plan to clean up my build room which is pretty much a disaster zone at the mo .. I even went so far as to order Birchwood Casey Brass Black and a cutting tool for my Dremel ..

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

Hello!

You've been away almost as much as I have! My build is on hold as the workshop / conservatory is full of packing boxes. Hoping to buy a house in the next month.

Hope to see you build progressing soon!

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Thanks Guys (and the Likes) I've been lurking around MSW pretty much continually :P  Just not doing any actual building LOL

E

• 5 months later...

Hey There Lawrence .. The Road Works are finished , Woo Hoo by the way ...

The Story So Far .. LOL     I picked up a Milling Machine ! then my Aunt got ill and my free days are taken up helping to take care of her .   Ballahoo is out on my Building table, the room is clean and the next step is ready to go .. that next step is the Block & Tackles for the guns and Boy are they fiddly ! I'm not using the kit ones you see but instead Chuck ones (Yup the small ones.. the ones where if you breathed in too near them you are likely to suck them into your nose :rolleyes: )  Am even trying to tempt Karen (the future Admiral all going well) into helping out with them !

I recently (last few days) picked up the Plans for 'Haddock' from the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich London, this is a sister ship to Ballahoo and I intend to display the suitably framed Plans behind Ballahoo !  

So please do keep checking in folks as I haven't abandoned ship !  Just finding boat building time to be a scarce commodity.

Thanks again Lawrence for stopping by and for the kind words !

All The Very Best

Eamonn

PS I didn't receive a usual notification that you had posted .. Sorry for taking so long to reply !

E

Edited by egkb

• 4 weeks later...

Well Folks .. At long last I have begun to do the Block & Tackle work on the Guns .. 8 to do and 3 are done as of this moment .. the Rings on the Bulwarks are in place too (that the Block & Tackle hooks onto)

This is just a quick update .. Photos will follow shortly

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Photo Time Woo Hoo !!

This is some of the completed blocks .. I will make Hooks out of the eyes at the ends before final assembly .. The eyes/hooks have been chemically blackened... Oh and the Future Admiral made the 3rd set of them  :D  :rolleyes:

All The Best

Eamonn

post-5925-0-42709400-1471103099_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim .. Those Blocks are Smaaaaalll .. but seem more in scale than the supplied stuff .. I have been pondering the Anchor's too .. they seem big for so small a vessel .. will have to do some research I think before making a decision there !.

Thanks for stopping by Jim and Thanks too for the Likes Folks, always appreciated  ^_^

Eamonn

Quick Update ....  The 8 Block & Tackles are done .. Phew (though it got easier the more I did .. a little dot of CA on the end of the block then offer the threaded and knotted in place eyelet up to it really sped things along nicely .. tie it off, another dot of CA on the knot and job dusted  ;) easy peasy. . .  I mean was there ever a doubt .. cough cough ahem ahem  :huh:  :huh:  :rolleyes:  )

Am off on Holidays tomorrow folks so no more updates for a while.. I'll try not to be away for so long this time though .. Honest  :P

Thanks for looking in

Eamonn

Holiday Time Woo Hoo .. :D