HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

I always use Epoxy on anything that could be broken or any joint that isn't snug.Wood glue is not very strong at bridging gaps ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.drill the hole for the pins a little larger,the small gap is immaterial if you use epoxy,say 1.2mm,just helps ensure you get good coverage with the glue.

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I generally use the Zap 30min because it comes in two large bottles,I go through a fair bit,but to be perfectly honest all are ok,I just avoid the 5min ones because they go off too fast,the slow one I use,I could mix enough and do all the pinning in one go,rather than mixing some for each pin.It is also a little thinner than the likes of Araldite so penetrates into the joint better

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

I almost forgot :D  :D One last tip and I only thought of this last week as I have been doing a lot of pinning on Mordaunt.Put some 2inch masking tape over your pin hole and cut a tiny window out with the scalpel,stops epoxy everywhere,the tiny bit that is left when you remove the tape(before the glue sets hard)trims off easily when you trim the pin flush ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Daft question Nigel, but in your method to 'Trim the Pin Flush' do you saw it or clip it, I ask 'cos I was just going to recess it into the hole and fill over the top (or in this case sand the epoxy down flush if it stood proud)

Hope you don't mind all the questions :P

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Not a daft question Eamonn,I file mine smooth with the keel.Simply because I rather it was visible to demonstrate that it has been done properly,but I appreciate that is a matter of personal taste.If you want to fill over,I would snip the pin after the glue is distributed,with the pin not fully home.You should be able to push it fully in with the length of brass.Carefully clean the uncured epoxy off with some paper towel with a little nail varnish remover on it.You should then have a little recess you can fill later,or if you want to go the whole hog,you could whittle a little walnut peg and fit that without removing the epoxy,this could then be sanded flush when set.

Kind Regards Nigel

News Flash...

Rabbet cut, but towards the top of the stem it is practically non existent due to the Bulwarks  so I epoxied (Picked up some Nigel, and wanted to try it, this looked the perfect spot as strength was required with the bond) a thin strip of 2mm by 1 mm wood down the length of the stem, once set, tomorrow :( !!, I will sand it to .5mm or so.  This should give a nice even Rabbet all the way along!

Alas no photos as the whole shebang is taped up to hold the thin strip in place..

Hopefully tomorrow will see the Bow and Keel in place & pinned.

No Timber yet, but the Yellow Aliphatic wood glue and Period Ship Kit Builders Manual showed up this morning :D

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

That's the 2nd one Nigel with 2 more on the way, I reckon I picked up the 4 for the price of 2 (from Amazon) with Abebooks! Timber coming from about 250 - 300 miles SSW of you ;)  The non UPS orders usually take about 10 days or so (which is around now)

Eamonn

At least you have plenty to read while the timber arrives :D Those coordinates make it CMB so yes I have,looks like I won't be adding any more infill to Mordaunt for a little while :(  :( My usual supplier only had 1 sheet of 20mm and that's fitted in the hull :huh:

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel can I ask who your usual supplier is, I have no problems with Cornwall but was looking for options as they don't have Boxwood and other types I was chasing (I have to order ready made strips, as I don't have electric devices for sizing)

E

Plenty to read indeedy.. whilst waiting for the Epoxy to harden too :P  :P (it's 'only' 12 to 14 hours but that puts it in the middle of the night and I'm not that enthusiastic! :mellow: )

I get my usual modelling timbers and the Pear sheet from the Model dockyard in Truro(300 miles SSW of me :D ).They are quicker with delivery than CMB.Boxwood I get from Original Marquetry.com.If you look in the banding and stringing section you will find thin boxwood strips ranging in width.They do thicker materials in sheet form.I get my Ebony and Boxwood from there and cut it in the table saw.Ebony and boxwood 'billets' from workshop heaven.Thats about it for non forestry size pieces.The deck of Caroline was planked with boxwood 'strings' from OMarquetry.

Kind Regards Nigel

Jeez South West of England seems to be the place to be for Model Boat Supplies.. I've even been to Truro! (and was in College in Plymouth, the College Phase's of my Cadetship)

Eamonn

It does indeed Eamonn,we live in the wrong place,I have been to Truro a few times,but not 'fraggle 'rock where CMB is based  :D only kidding it was another rock where they started from but from what I have heard by all accounts,it was in the middle of nowhere.

Kind Regards Nigel

All Righty Then latest photos hot from the camera:

The Bow & the Keel are epoxied in place, the extended part of the Keel at the stern matches up nicely with the Rudder Post, to be fitted later, make sure that this does match up particularly if going the route I took with putting a thin strip down the False Keel at the bow to assist with the Rabbet, else thinks may not sit flush at the stern! ;)

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

PS Still no Timber, though Parcel Delivery continues for an hour or 2 yet (it is a morning service over here) but the good news is that The Period Ship Handbook 3 arrived with the regular post this morning.. Edge of the seat updates eh ? :mellow:  :P  Here's a nice calming photo!

post-5925-0-65446000-1392117210_thumb.jpg

Excellent work mate,she is looking grand B) If the stern post had been a little proud,I would have suggested filing a little off where it sits.I have had parcel force deliveries here at 6.30pm and sometimes normal post not till 4.30pm!! :huh:  :huh: A dvd I had ordered arrived this morning,when I have finished watching it I will post a review in the relevant section.As you are collecting reference material like it is going out of fashion,you may be interested ;)  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

This is true Nigel, I have amassed a nice little library over the years (am a bit of a bookaholic which doesn't help) ^_^  

Thanks for dropping by, and to everyone who punched the 'Like' button too!!

Eamonn

Still No Timber Delivery.. :(

The Timber Saga Continues.. Still a no show, we live for tomorrow!

Nail Biting Stuff eh ?

Eamonn

I'm beginning to eye-up the tree in the back garden :P

Eamonn,

Sorry for your timber hold up. However, looking on the bright side (I'm sure there is one) you do have all those books to read – so you should be an expert by the time it arrives. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Guys,

Ollie:  I was contemplating getting stuck into making my Rope Serving Machine, the bits of which have been sitting on my work bench for some time now! 

In fact this leads me to a question I was going to pose later to everyone: Was seizing done on these smaller boats? and if so where?  ( I suspect the answer is Yes, and in much the same places as on larger boats!)

I refer to Ballahoo, Sherbourne & Convulsion here.

Nigel: Sorry 'bout that.. ^_^ (I can send you on a 'Branch' if that would help! :mellow: or even a 'Twig or two', though with the wind we have had I suspect you may have plenty of Branches near you!  Rough eh?

Kester: Keith Julier's books have been taking a severe looking through! in fact I was going through MSW's Book section and found a very recent post from Nigel (above) listing Mr. Juliers books by content and discovered I had missed one of his books!! :huh: the one with the Lady Nelson!!! (as you know similar to Sherbourne!) you see I thought he had 4 books, the 4th of which is winging it's way from America I think! but Nigel showed me that there are 5 Books! (Later Edit: I thought wrongly that the 4th was Period Ship Kit Builders Manual!! )  (from Nigel's list I was missing The New Period Ship Handbook) this was rightified late last night along with the Rigging book by Underhill (both for about £11 in total for the pair, a BIG WooHoo to Abebooks!)

Thanks for checking in folks and of course for the Likes.

Fingers Crossed For The Post Man Today (Will it Won't it.. No End of Excitement on the Ballahoo Log! :mellow:  :mellow: )

Eamonn

Don't forget the Serving Question above there somewhere.. ^_^

Edited by egkb

'Was seizing done on these smaller boats? and if so where?  ( I suspect the answer is Yes, and in much the same places as on larger boats!)

I refer to Ballahoo, Sherbourne & Convulsion here.'

Eamonn,

I think you answered your own question. Yes, anywhere a seizing was thought necessary, be the craft large or small, there was one. I'm actually doing some seizing at the moment on my Sherbourne's backstays (using Alexey's serving machine). It works very well, once you get the hang of it, and looks much better than my efforts by hand. Mind you, when I said to my wife the other day that I was going to do some seizing, she gave me an odd look!

Regarding Keith Julier's books, I think I might very well collect the others I don't have, especially Part 3 which includes the Victory bow section, in which I have an interest!  'Masting and Rigging' is practically the bible on rigging from an expert, but bear in mind it's mostly 19th/20th century.

Regarding sending Nigel a branch from your tree, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has it already – judging by the strong winds you've been having! :D

Kester

Hit Abebooks Kester and pick them up for, in the case of 2 of mine £0.60 with £ 4.50 or so Postage !!! (£0.60 isn't a typo by the way) and they are in great condition too!  I got all 5 for a couple of Pound over the cost of 2 from Amazon!! Yea, Underhill is more recent than Sherbourne but I will adapt using Masting & Rigging by Lee (if I remember the name correctly) will see how Mr Underhill is for the later boats as Ballahoo and Convulsion are both very early 1800's.  Was looking at Rigging Fore & Aft Craft too but it was outside my price range (hitting €30 to my door)

Alexeys Serving Machine is a peach, but a lot outside my budget.. the one I propose to make is using bits-n-bobs I picked up online for grand total of €10 (includes a load of various sized Lego cogs, 6 of which are perfect, bought from eBay ;) ) it will be a bit Heath Robinson but should be sturdy and do the trick! oh yea, those famous last words again!!

All The Best Kester

Eamonn

BTW would love to see a post from your 'Sherry' build.. especially the seizing! :P

Edited by egkb

Which book is missing from the list Eamonn?That means I don't have one :huh:  :huh: .

With respect to branches,I am considering building with roof tiles from now on :huh: there are plenty kicking about here ;) Eamonn,is it your ridge tile thats in my front garden?CMB should have put a sail on your wood,it would of reached the emerald isle in a few hours ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

The Julier book would be Period Ship Kit Builders Manual, it's a kind of 'How To..' book, where the others deal with Individual Kits with tips thrown in this is essentially the Tips only.. if you follow

Had a quick look over on Abebooks (Yup, that name Again.. ;)  I luv them!! I blame Dee_Dee for putting me onto them) and the book is sitting there for £12 inc delivery to your door! I must have gotten the last ultra cheap one.. sorry :P  (there are loads of then but at slightly dearer prices)

This is weird Nigel, my next post was to suggest CMB put a Kids Balloon onto my order and let it go, be here in hours!!  :huh:  

Must be my neighbours Ridge Tile Nigel as all mine are on top of someone's BMW.. Kiddin!  we were rather lucky down my end of town (only a few loose slates) and I'm only 200 hundred meters form the 'Blue Wobbly Stuff'  (to paraphrase Baldrick) yet strangely we don't flood (jeez those famous last words keep coming up!) 

Would you believe the Sun is shinning over here now.. few strong gusts of wind thrown it too though!

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Pop those Ridge Tiles in the post and I'll pass them along.. :mellow:

Before I go.. I wonder if CMB wait to post a bunch of orders at the same time! cos I'm hitting 2 weeks now, yet I got word from Sam that the order was filled 13 days ago.  Filled & posted are two different things mind you  :P

Hi Eamonn,

I'm very surprised that you have been waiting so long for your order from CMB. I've always found them to be incredibly quick with orders; order in the morning and receive the following day.

It's probably worth you giving them a ring and checking up on the order....?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

BTW would love to see a post from your 'Sherry' build.. especially the seizing! :P

Eamonn,

There will be explicit pictures in my next post!  It shouldn't be too long now. Btw, was it you that wanted pics of the mast head, where all the shrouds, etc, are fastened? If so, I've taken a couple of pics of that too.

See, I don't stint on the details here! ;)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Hi Eamonn,

Bit late in visiting our build excuse me please, like to have a seat is this theatre. Its going very well I see nice work on the planking. An you have a Sherbourne in the waiting room I understand. Nice to follow that as well. Hope you do well in the build of this boat. Be seeing you,

by for now. Jan