Ersatzia false Wasa by philo426 - Billing Boats

The mods urged me to start a build log for my eRsatz Billings Boats"Wasa"This kit was apparently designed before an in depth study of the raised Wasa was conducted.Thus I am free from any historical nor accuracy constraints to build it as I see fit!I received it as a partial built that I am now building as a tune up build before i tackle a more modern and expensive kit.Here is what I started with;   001_zps9b769980.jpg

Edited by philo426

Hello.

My Corel Vasa was also designed way before the news discoveries of Vasa. It shows the sides painted in blue and the figures in gold. That is how I am building mine. I am not a purist and my ships go to my living room as decorations and eventually to some modeling contest, so I am not too worried about inaccuracies. Maybe I will some day. :)

Welcome.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I am surprised how structurally sound the railings are!I used 1/16" basswood stringers and intend to add at least 50% more but the railings are rock solid with no wobble at all!I am using Franklin Titebond ll which is an excellent wood glue.   Next I have to plank in the 2 lower doghouses with mahogany.   001_zps79f573f5.jpg

First I had to go to Hobby town to get the brass(only hobby shop open on Sunday).Then they only had 1/16"brass tube instead of strip which complicated the metal forming process(split a few bending around the rudder).Then I had to epoxy them in place so they would not move.Then after the epoxy cured,I got my scratch awl and tack hammer and dimpled the wood so that the mini drill bit would not walk.Drilled the holes on both sides and then cut the HO railroad spikes in half.Used a needle nosed pliers to start them and then press them into the wood.Then i had to hollow out the back of the keel to accept the brass gudgeons and used a piece 1/32 brass wire to hold the rudder in place so that it would move freely.It took about 3 hours but I am satisfied with the results.I have to put the pintels on the hull to complete the rudder assembly.

Phil,

She's coming along nicely.  I'm happy to see this build log.  On the prow... go for the long version and spritsail mast and top.  It'll be more in the period of the hull.  Look at the other Wasa logs and completed galleries to get some ideas that you can make your own. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)