HMS Victory by Ensign - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72

And now for something a little different. This model of Victory was on display at a shopping mall not far from where I live, the builders plan to take her on tour and have purchased a horse float for the purpose. Now that's real enthusiasm.

She was scratchbuilt from old redgum timbers with the decks laid in Huon Pine, an incredible achievement.

The ship is computer controlled so that the sides open up to reveal interior detail and some of the sails can be raised and lowered. All this is timed to cycle around every few minutes.  

post-1259-0-00190200-1409211967_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-27229900-1409212079_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-80076500-1409212169_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update time

The hull has been painted and the upper gun deck is awaiting installation of the guns.

When assembling the gun carriages I discovered that the brass etched eyelets part No. 480 make excellent breeching rings, just cut off the leg and attach them to the Cascabel with thick superglue. the scale is just right as study of the single photo of a gun illustrates.There are plenty of spares in the kit so shortages are not a problem.

post-1259-0-48263700-1411477677_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-43529300-1411477833_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-88134400-1411477886_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-82278400-1411477958_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-84605300-1411478026_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-24456000-1411478070_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Very nice work so far Gary. Love the extra detail on the gun deck.

• 2 months later...

Greetings Gary

You thinks it looks good???? ?.....it's far better than good , it's excellent. You have reached a point in your build which I really enjoyed with all the deck work visible, and I am sure you will also enjoy the work ahead of you. Cracking build.... DAVID.

Thank you very much David, encouraging words indeed. I am loving building Victory it is a challenging project especially because of the research needed to add extra details not included in the kit. I have now paid two visits to Victory over the years and hope to return again in the not too distant future. I also wish to visit Trincomalee in your neck of the woods.

Best regards

Gary

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I am just starting on the rigging and I have a question. In Gil Middleton's excellent build log he uses some very good Thimbles/Bullseyes to lash various lines together as per prototype shown in Longridge's book "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships". I would like to know where he got these from. I sent a PM to Gil but it bounced back with the message that he can longer receive messages.

I have tried turning up some on the lathe but they aren't anywhere as good. Gil if you or anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I used small deadeyes and drilled the middle out to create the bull eyes, as for gils message, most likely his inbox is full

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin, great minds think alike, that's just what I have started doing. They look much better than the ones I turned up on the lathe. Now I'm off to buy more dead eyes in a couple of different sizes, lucky for me a great model ship supplier called Float A Boat is just 10 minutes away.

Your build is coming along nicely, seems the break did you good.

Gary

I am just starting on the rigging and I have a question. In Gil Middleton's excellent build log he uses some very good Thimbles/Bullseyes to lash various lines together as per prototype shown in Longridge's book "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships". I would like to know where he got these from. I sent a PM to Gil but it bounced back with the message that he can longer receive messages.

I have tried turning up some on the lathe but they aren't anywhere as good. Gil if you or anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

It is a wonderful job you're doing. I wish your log was way longer to show all the small steps you've taken to get this result.

About the blocks: I replaced all my blocks with those from http://clasicmodel.com/shop/. Great quality, see below.

cDSC_2563_zps656135ea.jpg

Regards, Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the compliment, Yes, I have also replaced the blocks with ones the same as you have, I bought them at "Float A Boat" the shop I mentioned in my last post. It is the Thimbles/Bullseyes that I needed which don't seem to be available commercially, that's why I am drilling out deadeyes to create a round doughnut shape to be used in lashing various lines to pull them tight.

I must confess I haven't updated as often or included as much detail as I probably could, I shall take some more photos soon.

Regards

Gary

I have a question, the next step in rigging Victory should be the shrouds according to the instructions, after doing the Tackle Pendants. It appears to me that it might better to rig the stays at this point especially since the main stay and preventer stay are to have snaking applied, it would seem that the shrouds would interfere with this procedure. Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

Gary

will not harm to make the preventers now and fit later,  but yes the shrouds do get in the way when it comes to the lacing

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

very nice looking build Gary,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I think I have found a method of rigging Shrouds and Stays which does not cause interference when putting on the snaking to the Main and Fore mast stays. I plan to rig the Mizzen shrouds and stays first then move on to the Main mast shrouds and stays and finally the Fore mast shrouds and stays. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

The yards are completed with their rigging and ready to be fitted at the appropriate time. More photos to follow later.

post-1259-0-76410900-1460010077_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I would like to know if the foremost shrouds on all masts ie: Topmasts and Topgallant are served, this is done on the Fore and Main and from photos It seems to also be done on the Mizzen lower shrouds, however I can not find a definitive answer to this question either from photos, Longridge, Steel or Biddlecombe. I am at the point of fitting shrouds to the Mizzen Topmast and would really like this resolved before proceeding.

Thanks

Gary