Small lockable tool chest

Greetings.

New to the site and had a quick question regarding what folks do to keep the knives and other shiny pointy stuff out of the way of the grandkids?  I'm setting up a new work area in a spare room in the house that is frequented by a 4 and a 2 year old who can be quite curious.  Right now, I keep most everything in the top of a closet.  I'd like to keep it on the work table where it is quickly available.  I use a collection of the small plastic tray cabinets but they do not lock, hence their home in the top of the closet.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mark

With all due respect, I would suggest a lock on the door to the "spare room".........and allow visiting only under supervision. Just my two cents...........

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

JP, I had thought about that, but this room is also Lego Central...so it would be selfish of me to lock the babes out.   :) There is nothing else they can hurt aside from themselves with the tools.  Thanks for the thought.

Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head.  That is exactly what i've been imagining.  I had forgotten about HF and there is a store about 20minutes away from me.  I think I'll make the trek this weekend and check those out.

I just bought a 4 drawer metal cabinet at Menards for $30. It has locking drawers as well as a lock on the top for all drawers. It works great for the dangerous stuff. As for the boat it goes up high on the shelf!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 3 months later...

Next question is, how to hide tools from grown kids? Not to protect kids, but to protekt tools? First Dremel set, then paintbrushes, after anvile (!). Yesterday soldering iron ...

BTW, with locking door, you will hide Lego from yourself ;)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

My daughter wouldn't give any of it a second glance.

I explained to my son that "all this" is his inheritance so it all needs to be treated as such

So he started taking them home!   :huh: 

He calls it borrowing

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Nenad, it's rather odd...but the Legos seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate.   :huh:  Where once there was only one set, there are now 6 separate and distinct sets.  The 4 year old knows the exact inventory of each of hers.  So far the ship yard and the lego yard are coexisting peacefully.  I found that I only use a small subset of the total inventory of pointy sharp tools, and I have these in a small plastic storage shelf set that I can easily put away in the closet.  

Alan, I think that means it's time for you to upgrade your collection!

I liked to play Lego with kids ... waiting for their kids to continue playing ... ;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic