HMS Mars by j21896 - Caldercraft - 1:64 - modified kit

Capping Rail and Catheads – completed

Well, I feel like this is a huge milestone!  The work that I had to do on the cats and the capping rail is done.  Now it’s up to Father Time to do his bit – that is, darken the cherry to match the bulwarks!  (When I finished the bulwarks a year and a half ago, they were about as light as the current shade of these newly finished components.)

Proper alignment of the rail while gluing in place was greatly aided by the holes drilled during the initial fitting.  I could get the section of the rail ready as shown, apply glue to the bulwarks top, and just slide it down into place.

post-130-0-69737300-1365882267_thumb.jpg

Then it was just a matter of making lots and lots of sawdust to get them to their final shape and size, drilling the rest of the holes, treenailing, and applying tung oil.

I used pencil on both plank ends at the scarphs for caulking.  Maybe a bit too evident now, but once the cherry darkens they should be more subtle.

post-130-0-32713500-1365882272_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-16096300-1365882277_thumb.jpg

For some reason I really like the jointing that I decided to use where the side rail meets the stern.  I don’t know if it’s necessarily “proper” for that junction, and it’s just a small thing, but it really made sense to me anyway.  Of course now I realize that it will be hidden once the boat davits are installed :( 

post-130-0-30702300-1365882284_thumb.jpg

I forgot to specifically photograph them, but the cathead supporting knees are at least partially visible in this shot.

post-130-0-90755700-1365882290_thumb.jpg

And finally, a purely gratuitous shot from my favorite angle to showoff the lines of Mars ... ah, greatly enhanced by the capping rail to be sure. ;) 

post-130-0-64306100-1365882298_thumb.jpg

Time now to finish the various deck fittings!!

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Very nice Robert and even when those tiny details are not visible, it surely will give you satisfaction knowing they are in place.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Be sure, thake it for granted, you are the only one. . . :D

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

First off, congrats on the fine job.  We can all watch the cherry darken together. 

Secondly, B.E. has nailed it....that last shot is exquisite.  Submit it for the MSW calendar!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Robert, those photos are fantastic. Your progress is inspiring to say the least.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Robert,

I re-descover your log with much pleasure. This is a master build!  :)

May I ask when HMS Mars was launched?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thanks Patrick!  It's been a little bit since your last update on Niagara -- I hope all is well with you and yours.

Hi Adeline, great to hear from you in MSW2!  Mars was built by the Dutch as a privateer in the late 1770's, but captured by the British in 1781.  And now, through the magic of the link in your signature, I can see what new project you've chosen to tackle :)

Cheers,

Robert

Robert, it's been a very busy March and April for me. It's also been nice to sit away from my Niagara and grow fond of her again rather than feel like she's a chore. I should be starting up on her again as soon as time allows.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Of course now I realize that it will be hidden once the boat davits are installed :( 

Hi Robert, do your plans call out for the boat davits or is that a "custom feature"?  I have considered possibly adding to my Snake as well.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Wow! Beautiful job...talk about taking a kit to the next level! I love the rich wood tones, and the capstan...star and all...terrific! Will be watching from here on out.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hi Robert,

I missed out on your build on MSW 1.0, but very glad I've just stumbled across it here. Have just spent the last hour or so reading through from start to finish. I must say, what a magnificent job you are doing with this model. I just loved what you did with your scratch capstan and the inlay work, all your hook scarph joints, and the catheads. Your explanation of techniques used is invaluable too. Thank you so much for taking so much effort over your postings. I look forward to following along from here on.

Edited by gjdale

Foremast Belaying Rack, Posts, and Standards

Here’s just a very small update in the efforts to complete the deck fittings.

Done in cherry – in keeping with the rest of the furniture:

post-130-0-53995900-1366473891_thumb.jpg

Though not referred to as such in the plans, I would assume that these are also the riding bitts.

post-130-0-54061200-1366473895_thumb.jpg

Robert

Well done.....all Bristol fashion!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wonderful Robert, must be a nice feeling to move onto the furniture.  I've been secretly 'eyeing' you capping rails, very very nice indeed!  Your build really wants to me explore some other woods if I get to another build, the ubiquitous walnut doesn't come close to the beauty of the cherry and other 'premium' woods.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Grant and Augie.  (You had me with that one Augie -- I'm embarrassed to say I had to look it up :huh: )

And thanks Jason.  Yes, walnut never again is my mantra!  However, I'm unfortunately going to have to do the rudder from walnut to match the keel and stern post.  But no more after that!

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

Very precise work on the catheads, bitts and rails Robet, you've really raised the standards my friend, Mars is looking top-notch :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Elm Tree Pumps

For some reason I got totally bogged down working on the pumps.  At every stage, especially working with the brass components, nothing seemed to come out right the first time, and re-work after re-work was necessary.

In the end I gave up on using brass for the iron bands and circles on the pump tops and sheepishly turned to black paper for these.  At least the pivots, outlets and rods are blackened brass.

Because I had such a rough go of it, I didn’t take many pictures during each phase of construction, but this is what I have.

The pivots were cut from a strip of brass and shaped with needle files.

post-130-0-55817300-1369073904_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-07855900-1369073909_thumb.jpg

Prior to fabricating the brakes, I installed the pumps in the step I had made for them.

post-130-0-71921200-1369073914_thumb.jpg

The completed pumps.

post-130-0-21075900-1369073920_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-95101500-1369073926_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-92393900-1369073931_thumb.jpg

And finally in place on deck …

post-130-0-38841900-1369073936_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-01104500-1369073941_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-18980700-1369073947_thumb.jpg

Robert

Edited by j21896

Robert,

The pumps look very good. It's not the material used that count, it's the resulting look of the piece, and it looks all very nice and shipshape!  B)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)