25-30 years ago DIY stores here in the UK sold nothing but Ramin dowels unless you wanted a broom handle. Last week I happened to check out the wood stock in my local DIY store and all the dowel is made from Pine. So what happened to Ramin dowel, is it a "fashion" thing or something else? Don't need any, just asking ... :-)

Everybody loves Ramin...

My King of the Mississippi from Artesania Latina includes some Ramin lumber. I was wondering if I need more, if I would be able to find some. Now I know I will have tp look around a little.

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

Those "ramin" strips in the kits may or may not be true ramin.  Some of the kit makers have used a wood different from what they call it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have to agree with Mark,kit manufacturers can be creative with the truth when it comes to wood.Even though it is classed as an endangered species does not mean it is completely unavailable,just means DIY stores can't sell it by the ton.They start selling a substitute,pine,mmmmmm

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Yes and hmm, my Billings kit of Danmark (limited version) is supposed to use ramin for hull planking.

That's at least to their material list.

According to a site handling wood there are 30+ species of this wood, many of them are "farm raised".

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yes and hmm, my Billings kit of Danmark (limited version) is supposed to use ramin for hull planking.

That's at least to their material list.

According to a site handling wood there are 30+ species of this wood, many of them are "farm raised".

Interesting Dr Per,Billings always used to list their hull planking as Obeche which is quite different from the rock hard ramin that the DIY stores used to sell in the UK

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Interesting Dr Per,Billings always used to list their hull planking as Obeche which is quite different from the rock hard ramin that the DIY stores used to sell in the UK

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

it certainly is rock hard, wish it came with Obeche especially for the curve around the stern.

But as this one still awaits to be built I have plenty of time changing the planking material.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Ramin is regarded as a protected species depending on its country of origin and is listed on CITES http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonystylus

Importation into the EU or US can lead to stiff fines and or prison in the US. or EU UK would be subject to the EUTR Regs or the Lacey Act in the US. The consequences on the importer for illegal logged timber entering the supply chain is likely to result in series legal implications - fines and or prison in the US. I dont think there is much FSC certified timber around which can demonstrate sustainable timber through certification in the supply chain - known as chain of custody. 

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

My guess is that manufacturers may start using ramin in their kits and labeled it so. Then when the wood became scarce, they just changed the wood without incurring in the expense to change the wood description in the already made kits.  :o

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 3 months later...

Ramin is basicly anigre i did a little research because i have an old kit from Artesania Latina and was looking for the same wood that came with it basically from research ramin is also known as anigre with you can find all day on ebay hope this wasn't too late 

• 2 weeks later...