Painting the 1/180 scale HMS Victory

ronald305

Hi there 

I'm sorry I haven't  on this site in a while, but I need help with painting My airfix HMS Victory 

first I read  else where on other Forums that some fellows hand paint their ships hulls especially the Yellow Ochre and the Black strip because they say that it doesn't look authentic when the ship is painted by airbrush so My question is which brand of paint is best used for hand painting the HMS Victory and which brand has the proper  colors for this ship in order to be accurate 

I would appreciate any recommendation anyone  would have 

thank you 

Ronald

Ronald,

I'd say paint it with any method you want.  Brushstrokes might be fine at 1:1 but at anything smaller, it's problematical.  But that's my opinion so let the flames begin.

I've heard that Admiralty paints from Caldercraft/Jotika are the most accurate but have no experience, just second-hand knowledge of what's been reported.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmmm...I have been a modeler for over 50 years, and it's the first time I heard painting with an airbrush is unrealistic.

Well... maybe except this German modeler who makes WWII dioramas and says that since the German tanks were painted using things like floor mops, he would use only brushes because that was more "realistic".  :o

Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

These paints may be what you are looking for.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=SM23MS

Hope this helps

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

thanks for the  information  on the paints fellows 

this question is for mark who recommends Caldercraft/Joika paints could you tell me the web site where I can get the paints 

this question is for Ulises  would you know if the model expo paints can be used on plastic because my HMS Victory is a plastic kit 

not a wood kit 

Ronald 

Ronald,

I'm not 100% sure where to get them.   Might try Cornwall Models.  As I said, I've never used them, I've just read the logs of those who have.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the  information  on the paints fellows 

this question is for mark who recommends Caldercraft/Joika paints could you tell me the web site where I can get the paints 

this question is for Ulises  would you know if the model expo paints can be used on plastic because my HMS Victory is a plastic kit 

not a wood kit 

Ronald 

Oops! Good question. I wouldn't know, sorry.Try to contact Model Expo directly!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Use both airbrush and brush.

I airbrush the yellow first, mask it, then airbrush the copper, mask, then airbrush the black.  For airbrushing, I use Model Master, Tamiya, Humbrol, and White Ensign brands both acrylics and enamels.  To give the model tone and body so it doesn't look like airbrushed plastic, I will do washes of thinned oils and acrylics.  With brush painting, make sure you are using a good quality brush and only load the brush up 1/2 way and do light strokes.  My favorite paints are DecoArt artist acrylics.  Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, and Michaels have them.  They make a Yellow Ocher and Lamp Oil Black along with a huge selection of whites and yellows to help tone the colors down.

I think of a model ship like a three dimensional painting. 

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Ronald,

The Admiralty paint sets are supposed to be the exact colours used on the original ship. Here's the Cornwall Model Boats page:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/admiralty_paint_sets.html

You'll have to scroll down for the Victory. I don't know if you can get them in the US, but I think Cornwall's postage is reasonable. I also don't know if they're suitable for plastic.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

I also don't know if they're suitable for plastic.

Shouldn't be an issue over primer.  Any acrylic paint will sit over primer well enough.

They will take some experimenting with thinning, as I'm not sure they were designed to be airbrushed, and I've no idea what particle size in the pigment would be.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Hello There 

can anyone help me with painting the top area  from the front to back of My airfix 1/180 scale HMS Victory. 

With all the photos out there I'm  still unable to find one that shows which area  of railing or Bulwarks, .poop deck  is suppose to be black and what is yellow Ochre, from what I understand by some pictures I was able to find  the area where the guns are  Yellow Ochre, but where does the color black start and end and the Yellow Ochre starts and ends, I'm still learning the ship parts or terminology so please be patient I will get it eventually LOL 

but for now I need all the help I can get with my building and would appreciate any in formation you have to offer thank you 

Ronald 

would that book be written by John Mckay 

if so I have that book But unable to find the area you are talking  the only color photos of the ship are out side and all pages in this book are black and white and the dust jacket doesn't show any color photo of the deck 

Ronald

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there 

I need help with painting the first and second deck of my airfix 1/180 scale Victory it calls for humbrol #71 satin oak but I want to use the brand I have which is model masters  would anyone know the substitute paint for the Humbrol satin oak in model master color paints  I will not mind mixing to get the right color thank you 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

• 8 months later...

would anyone know the exact color of the deck floors top and bottom, is it a tan or a grayish color also  I saw 

in a book I have that the author recommends an off white color for the deck  that can't true ?? 

also How do I get the deck to look real any recommendation or ideas would be greatly appreciated  thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

I usually use Vallejo Model Colors Deck Tan 986. Other paints that represent bleached teak decks are Floquil Aged Concrete which has been released as an acryl paint by Testors Model Master line. One of the things I really like about Vallejo Model Colors is that it levels beautifully after brushing. Hope this helps.

Steve

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 2/13/2015 at 4:39 PM, ronald305 said:

thanks Foxy it will help, would you know the color # for the tamiya deck  tan 

Ronald

I’m attempting this same paint scheme.  Can you tell me what Tamiya paints you used for the rest of the ship?

Hopefully they will respond, but Foxy hasn't visited here since Sept 2018..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, Gregory said:

Hopefully they will respond, but Foxy hasn't visited here since Sept 2018..

True.  I’ve today sent an email to Vallejo asking if they can provide paint codes for Airfix’s Victory, http://www.hobbylinc.com/airfix-hms-victory-1765-plastic-model-sailing-ship-kit-1:180-scale-09252