Currently building Euromodel's Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde and before going too far with the Main Deck, I have decided to look at the two ship's boats - a barge and a cutter. My first dilemma is whether to use them at all in the sense that if cannons are projecting out through the hull, then the ship is in a state of readiness for battle in which case these boats would be and being towed behind. Too pedantic ? Probably ?

The kit supplies two plastic boats - the thick material is actually so easy to carve and that is a plus.

post-593-0-63094600-1390691385_thumb.jpg

My main question is about finish. I know the purists would construct the complete boat from scratch and the boats I have seen are generally presented in their natural wood state. But if I shortcut and use the plastic, what colour (s) could I use ? One good example is the provisioning launch from the HMS Victory at Portsmouth which is painted 'white' with a black gunwale.

So my intention at this stage is to replicate this colour combination but preserve the natural timber of the frames, boards etc that will go inside these supplied hulls. Well .... that depends on what comments come from this thread !!!!!

Look forward to some guidance here before I go too far !

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for some help re painting/ finishing these boats.

Anybody with ideas/ methods that would allow me to paint the inside of these white plastic boats some 'timber' colour that doesn't just look like a coat of brown paint ?

Alternatively, I could paint the inside of the basic boat the same 'white' colour I probably will use on the exterior - not sure if that would be historically correct. Like some comment on that as well. If I did so, what about the frames, bottom boards and thwarts (seats) - do I leave these as the natural timber that they are ?

Pete

An interesting and valid question Pete,I have to admit a feeling of dismay when seeing one of these when i opened the Mordaunt box.There is a very good chance I won't use mine and go without.If I were to utilise it,I would sand the keel and planking lines off and use it as a former and plank around it,fit the keel then remove it and then fit the interior out.I know this doesn't fit with your ethos of using everything supplied,but taking the hull thickness down to anything like scale is masses of work.On this particular ship,there isn't much paint,so to have a coloured boat would look odd.There are many experts here in making plastic and resin look like wood,but unfortunately I am not one of them.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel. Actually I  am moving away from using everything as supplied. I can see this as a 'too hard' exercise using the moulded boats and I especially agree with the thickness aspect - you have put me off.  Maybe I was looking for an excuse as I just couldn't get my head around the whole thing especially since the boats would not be there if the guns are set up for battle (i.e. projecting out). Some will use them but I have other things I can be doing.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Having decided not to build the ship's boats for the Euromodel Friederich Wilhelm, I 'undecided' that ! Bar constructing the actual hull from scratch, I examined the white resin hull provided and whilst the actual depth is far from perfect, the final build would not show this. The interior section immediately adjacent to the bow and stern was far too thick but easily reduced in size with my Dremel and a small grinding tool.  It was like carving butter ! The end result I am happy with and all I need to do now is to teach myself a dry brushing technique to make it look old and weathered and all will be fine. Should I have painted the hull interior first ? Well, that was my choice not to so that photographic illustrations would be enhanced. This little project was such a diversion from normal ship building and I am glad that I did do it.

The full description is contained in my latest posting for the Wilhelm on the Euromodel website under 'Customer Assistance' - FW.INT.04.v8

Pete

post-593-0-47390200-1392586843_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the boat Pete B) Yes painting the interior first is the easy way,but you are right for photographic demonstration this is best.Whilst I think scratchbuilding would have produced the most favourable result,what you have done was the right way to go about it.If you had gone down the scratchbuilt route,I should imagine you would receive several emails on your helpdesk saying 'what am I supposed to do with the kit boat?'

I did check you new update,aside from your excellent supplementary files,your model of WFdF is wonderful,great work!

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline