Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I'm thinking that you haven't painted them........just the color of the wood that's throwing you off.   John has a cool head.....if it looks good Mark,  leave it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well... slept on it... no beer....<sigh>  I've ripped off the holly and cut some swiss pear.   Once things are cleaned up a pit, I'll commence planking again.  I only had two strakes down so no big loss.

16 hours ago, cog said:

Clear head ... maybe better to refrain from the beer ...

Just a few questions to get things clear to me:

• Why should the holly be removed?
  • Is it imperative to paint ... (to paint or not to paint)
  • Does the colour of the wood define the colour it would have been washed/painted

Enjoy your beer ;)

Cheers

I'm not painting, Carl except with the natural color of the wood.   Holly would work for American or British but not the French as they didn't use whitewash.

13 hours ago, Canute said:

How visible is the finished area? Main decks (very visible), I'll bet you redo with appropriate woods. Lower down, probably leave it. But, like Patrick said, wait for that clear head before you do anything. Hope that beer was good and you let your problem cogitate in the ol brain juices.  However you decide will be the correct one.

Semi-visible, Ken.  There's a large open area in the middle of the ship where this area would be visiable.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just when you thought...... you always resolve these things Mark so I am sure will resolve this one.  As COG says - your model but my thoughts...

Leave the holly in-situ and if the colour is off for your needs simply stain it with a dye/ink/wood stain (not paint it) as this will still look like natural timber as dyes/some stains tend to penetrate and not cover the grain of the wood?  A light dye/stain of the right colour (experiment off model) may resolve it for the planks in place on the bulwarks, and you can dye the others off the model for future stuff.  Sorry, hopefully not motherhood statements....  not intended if so.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Clear head ... maybe better to refrain from the beer

Mark,

I Know you remember when I had to decide to redo all the ratlines on the Vic. I had several toddies wrote down pluses and negatives. With a clear head the next day I did the same. Was no help! But the old adage if the shoe fits wear it, well it didn't and I grabbed the scissors and cut. Made the right decision I would not have been satisfied leaving it. If it does not feel right change it then have the :cheers:good  luck your the master. 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

2 hours ago, John Allen said:

Mark,

I Know you remember when I had to decide to redo all the ratlines on the Vic. I had several toddies wrote down pluses and negatives. With a clear head the next day I did the same. Was no help! But the old adage if the shoe fits wear it, well it didn't and I grabbed the scissors and cut. Made the right decision I would not have been satisfied leaving it. If it does not feel right change it then have the :cheers:good  luck your the master. 

I find the decision process easier than that, I long ago decided that if I think "hmm maybe I should fix that, it's really not as good as I want" then I should just stop and fix it. If it's bubbled up to that point in my mind it's something that will annoy me every time I look at it and disappoint me when I show the result to others so it seems to me the decision is pretty obvious. It may involve a considerable number of profane invectives of course and possibly throwing some of the offending bits around the room once you have them off, but no point in delaying or waffling about it - if you think you maybe should fix it, you should.

Hello Mark,

I have been mostly quietly following along on your build. I can empathize with your dilemma, even though our types of model are very far apart regarding the era and subject. Resolving the authenticity of a particular methodology for a country's ships is no doubt something that requires a fair amount of research to reach a position that you are comfortable with.

It is similar with regards to "original design" As you know I am no chicken when it comes to reworking something or tossing a lot of work because it did not feel right after some time. one only has to wade through my cutter build to see that. In my view there is a great deal more going on behind the scene (eyes) for us than meets the eye. We are engaged in a very complex process when building our models that covers a broad spectrum of decisions, not the least is that it looks right for whatever reason that we each feel is important to us. Probably why we build these things in the first place.

The journey is in my view the most important aspect of our work and being satisfied with the results is critical to continuing the build or not.

As beautiful and exquisite as the fished results are they are not the most important aspects of our work in my view.

Keep up the very fine work you are doing!

Michael   

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and support.  I think it's right thing to do.  I'm still on the learning curve or maybe a straight line that vertical? :rolleyes:    There wasn't much to remove and I'm cutting wood to size and sorting some odds and ends out.  Having new glasses to adjust to is slowing me down also.  I hope to make progress here soon.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:23 PM, BANYAN said:

Just when you thought...... you always resolve these things Mark so I am sure will resolve this one.  As COG says - your model but my thoughts...

Leave the holly in-situ and if the colour is off for your needs simply stain it with a dye/ink/wood stain (not paint it) as this will still look like natural timber as dyes/some stains tend to penetrate and not cover the grain of the wood?  A light dye/stain of the right colour (experiment off model) may resolve it for the planks in place on the bulwarks, and you can dye the others off the model for future stuff.  Sorry, hopefully not motherhood statements....  not intended if so.

cheers

Pat

Already gone, Pat.  I figured that staining that little amount of wood just wasn't worth the hassle.  I did consider it, though.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:28 AM, cog said:

Mark,

Explain to me, please, what has holly got to do with white wash ... :huh:

Cheers

Carl,

Holly is almost pure white as is whitewash.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Been too long since I updated this... by way of explanation I posted here rather than clutter of my log:  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glad to see you back Mark.  Sorry to hear of your health scare and offer my most sincere wishes for a full recovery mate.

cheers

pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Indeed, sorry to hear of the health problems. Glad you are back with us and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Real happy to read that you are over the worst of it, Mark ... now, perhaps, you can get back to entertaining us and building your Licorne.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks guys.  So far, I'm able to do just about everything I could before... there's a periodic brain fog but it's disappearing rapidly.    I hope to push the envelope this week and test fire the laser and cut some parts.  Now if I can just get the love of my life to slow down on her missions... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey howya goin Mark mate, good health to you mate, now get back to making the ship :D:D.     :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Sorry to hear of your health scare Mark, but glad to hear you're on the road to recovery and back in the shipyard.

glad your back Mark.....take care of things and get better ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm glad you're OK and back in the saddle Mark. It looks like your 'brain fog' days still come out better than my best days. Keep it up.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo