mtaylor

Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I've been silently following along Mark. Prayers for you both, glad to have you back in the shipyard. It is always interesting to read your research and see your attention to detail.

Jesse

Hi Mark,

Just catching up on your build, you've done a beautiful job on your hull and deck planking. 

Wow! You've really taken gone deep into the dark-side doing your own laser-cutting, excellent work on those laser-cut guns and carriages:)

Thanks for the comments and the likes, everyone.  

I cleaned up the laser char on one carriage and assembled it.  Now to wait for the guns from Chuck... <patience grasshopper, patience>  I forgot how tiny and fiddly they are to assemble.  So when the guns get here, I'll adjust as needed and make the quoins so that they will all be at the same elevation.  I think this will be a slow process as it took me a couple of hours to clean off the char and fit everything.  Hopefully with a bit of practise, I'll pick up speed.

5a767562a40b7_GunCarriageTest1.thumb.JPG.93bc973f3115399ee3ce3dd4ff64e090.JPG

5a76756620a26_GunCarriageTest2.thumb.JPG.37d0b1f71b2b6c36b3ae74b7c68758cc.JPG

Your prototype carriage looks great, Mark, I'm sure you'll pick up speed in no time at all once you start assembling the others.  I bet you're thankful that you chose to build a frigate rather than a hundred-gun three-decker now that you're at this stage of the build ;)

Thanks for the likes and the comments everyone.

Big day today... the rings came in and so did the guns from Chuck.  I ordered 24 of the appropriate size for the 8 pdrs and also ordered the 6 pdrs.   Yes, they're for an English ship but given the actual size and normal viewing length, I think they'll work perfectly.  Here's a couple of pics.   I will have to make quions now that I know the proper dimensions for them.  This should be a lot of fun.  Time go dig out the Birchwood-Casey and start blackening everything.  

I do plan on blackening and fitting the guns (temporarily) to the carriages but not actually installing the barrels until the upper deck and the channels and iron work for the shrouds are in place.  I'll put the carriages in place and lock them down with glue and a "safety" post through the deck.  Having a cannon and/or carriage come loos after the deck above it is in place is not fun in my book.  Been there, done that, built my vocabulary in an ungentlemanly way.

DSCF2959.thumb.JPG.97be9ae387df229d368e773de45b2971.JPGDSCF2960.thumb.JPG.120575bb0acd66c7b11091b0edf5cdc1.JPG

Thanks for the likes and comments.   

Thanks Steve. I suspect that you're right except cannon balls might have been an issue.

Nice to you see back Vivian, it's been awhile, I hope all is well.

After looking over the cannon barrels carefully, the thinking light came on.. and sometimes I hate that when it happens.   It does look like a little work and these could be pure French cannon.   I'll have to take one of the extra 4 pdrs, and test when I get a bit of breathing space.

Marc,  I remembered that turned my Constellation guns from something weird (the stock guns in the kit don't even resemble actual cannon) into Parot Rifles, etc.  I just need to chuck them up in either my Dremal or lathe and carefully use a fine file.  I should be able to remove the reinforcing rings and reshape the snout a bit to match the French guns of the period.   I just need to find the time.  

The barrel and the carriage look great. Couple of those on the deck is going to look good.  Initially I thought of adding canons to the Utrecht but in the end omitted this as the boat is a pleasure yacht eventhough the plans call for it. Now that I see what Chuck's material looks like, once I do a fluit, I will order them from him. 

Marcus 

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

Well, reworking the cannons are out   I can't reliably jig them into any tool I have for turning without damaging them or the cannon suddenly rotating on the cascabel.   Oh well...  I have 12 of the 24 carriages (wood parts only) assemble.  Fiddly things and since the upper deck(s) guns are even smaller, I'm going to go with a different design.  Once all 24 are assembled, I'll add the hardware, blacken the barrels and install them.   Drilling for the eyebolts, making the training rig, etc. will follow.   For those keeping score, hull is pierced for 26 ports on the gundeck, but the French (as this point in time) left them unfilled for access to anchor cables, etc.   Also, there two are on the forward side of the stoves/kitchens and room to work them (and for recoil) is limited.  I'll post some progress photos once the carriages are assembled and also as I make them ready with all the hardware, etc.