Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

sweet looking cannon Mark.......looking forward in seeing your modifications.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

Well, reworking the cannons are out   I can't reliably jig them into any tool I have for turning without damaging them or the cannon suddenly rotating on the cascabel.   Oh well...  I have 12 of the 24 carriages (wood parts only) assemble.  Fiddly things and since the upper deck(s) guns are even smaller, I'm going to go with a different design.  Once all 24 are assembled, I'll add the hardware, blacken the barrels and install them.   Drilling for the eyebolts, making the training rig, etc. will follow.   For those keeping score, hull is pierced for 26 ports on the gundeck, but the French (as this point in time) left them unfilled for access to anchor cables, etc.   Also, there two are on the forward side of the stoves/kitchens and room to work them (and for recoil) is limited.  I'll post some progress photos once the carriages are assembled and also as I make them ready with all the hardware, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A bit disappointing for you Mark, but I am sure they will still look OK

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

sorry to hear you can't do what you intended to do.   a different design........are you ordering more cannons?   good to hear your making progress...again,  I'll look forward to seeing what you've decided to do.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Mark - 

AOL was acting up again and I wasn't getting my notifications.  Seems to be working now, and I got current with your build.  Very clean work, as usual.  Those guns will be nice, whether British pattern or French.  And it could be historically accurate as well.  As Steve noted, there was a lot of repurposing of cannon whenever an enemy ship was captured.

If you wanted to modify them, could you soft solder a rod into the barrel and turn that way?  Maybe rig some sort of live center to support the cascabel.  I have never done this, so I may be off base here.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for looking gentlemen.  I appreciate the likes and the comments.  

I've decided to live with the cannons as they are.  I did some further testing and still didn't like what I was getting as results.   Things were busy here and too late I realized I should have made several jigs as I decided (after some destructive testing) to use a thin epoxy that seemed to take forever to try.   I have 24 carriages assembled and pretty much cleaned up and parts for 5 more if I should royally mess some of the "good" ones up.  Now to convert the shop over to metal work as I need to blacken and install the fittings, do the rigging, and install.   Each gun will need 2 eyebolts on the carriage, 2 on the deck (for pulling the gun back from the port), and then 4 on the bulkhead at each port.  I'll be using Dafi's fine looking (and small) eyes and hooks for all this. My eyes are now crossed and I note that I've been mumbling to myself a lot the last day or two trying to get these finished.  Note that the two forward ports (1 on each side) will not be filled as these were "access ports" for lack of a better term.

Here's pics of the carriages in place for position and to run some checks.  Pierre is standing by for scale reference.  I'll pick the 10 best for the mid-ship area that's open and if any of the rest fail to met standards, I'll replace them with new ones.  Hopefully, in the next week or two, I'll also install all the furniture (oops.. need to make 2 "kitchens") and get rid of that blue tape.

5-18f.thumb.JPG.44adcab3db7282620631dc73fcfa8dcf.JPG

5-18G.thumb.JPG.9d4b032416ee472106d5a75a37f70f3f.JPG

5-18H.thumb.JPG.b19c8ba2fa00792421e192b6aa67265e.JPG

5-18I.thumb.JPG.2d5002384174153b054bba16e4a37938.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They look great Mark; some production line you have going :)

cheers

Pat

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

get rid of that blue tape.

Mark,

First class. Carriages are primo.

You need to quit making feel stupid. Blue tape on the gratings well kiss my grits twice when building I have had line, eyes, rings and etc, fall down into the middle deck to where tweezers could not retrieve So get the vacuum and recover fittings and waste scrap, also sucked up cannon balls and a couple of ladders. I feel like all 3 of the 3 Stooges after your last post voila I to have blue tape, never occurred to me to cover gratings.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Mark, nicely done as always, although I think those blue tarps lashed down on deck are out of period???:piratetongueor4:

As far as your epoxy drying, if you have an oven with a pilot light that will help with the cure time. A small incandescent bulb in a shoe box might work also. I know,I know, not environmentally friendly, but sometimes.....

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

the carriages look great Mark  very well done  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the likes and comments.    Testing right now to find the right combination of bits and pieces.   

19 hours ago, BANYAN said:

They look great Mark; some production line you have going :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat.  I'm finding that sometimes it's the only way.

13 hours ago, John Allen said:

Mark,

First class. Carriages are primo.

You need to quit making feel stupid. Blue tape on the gratings well kiss my grits twice when building I have had line, eyes, rings and etc, fall down into the middle deck to where tweezers could not retrieve So get the vacuum and recover fittings and waste scrap, also sucked up cannon balls and a couple of ladders. I feel like all 3 of the 3 Stooges after your last post voila I to have blue tape, never occurred to me to cover gratings.

I'm tickled to hear someone liked an idea.  After fishing out some parts I came to the conclusion there had to be a better way.  I find I do need to replace the tape as it doesn't like staying stuck in place for week or two at time.

53 minutes ago, src said:

Mark, nicely done as always, although I think those blue tarps lashed down on deck are out of period???:piratetongueor4:

As far as your epoxy drying, if you have an oven with a pilot light that will help with the cure time. A small incandescent bulb in a shoe box might work also. I know,I know, not environmentally friendly, but sometimes.....

Sam

I thought of that, but the oven is out due to Admiral's prerogative.  I didn't think of the light bulb in a shoebox.  I'll try that next time.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 2/27/2018 at 6:24 PM, src said:

Sam

Mark - I have found that often when my epoxy doesn't dry well it's because I didn't mix it well. The guy that taught me to use epoxy would stir for at least a minute before using. The same guy would hold the container over a light bulb while stirring. He used orange juice containers cut in half. The ones with the metal bottoms. As Sam mentions heating it will speed up drying, Will just heats it before using instead of after. Of course you can't fool around much, you have to spread it quickly.  FWIW

The build is coming along very well.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks for the info, Mike.  I'll retest.   Time is an issue as these bits and pieces aren't easy for me to move fast around.   The area that's critical is the cannon to the carriage and then the whole thing to the deck.  So... back to the laboratory to test.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Been a busy week in the shipyard.   Figuring out how the heck I'm going to do the cannons and I think I'm on target.   I've looked over the details from Boudriot's The Seventy-fFur Gun Ship  (see picture) and after going "Holy cow!!! How in the h*** am I going to do that?" I took a deep breath and began analyzing things.  I think I can pull this off but there's a few bits I'm going to cheat on... like the hooks on the single block at the rear of the gun.  I'll use Dafi's etched brass hooks for those.. the 2.2mm size.  The singles I have are tiny and in scale to my eye as are the doubles on the front (they're actually maybe a tinge to large.  I've dug out the eyebolts and rings and found I can make the forward hook that's in the bulkhead from an eyebolt.  I went through assorted stock and found some of Chuck's line that will work perfectly.  My apologies, I didn't toss a dime into the parts for size but if you go back up a few posts, you can see the carriages with a dime for size.   Oh... I do have more parts than what's shown in the box as those will get me started.

Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I've got a few good intentions.   Hopefully my sanity will stay where it is.   I'll update when I get a few guns done and installed providing my eyes aren't crossed by then.  Time to gather the yard dogs up and set up a production line.

5a9e311a5454c_cannontackle.thumb.jpg.b3bd68c3fa7204cdf608518a1a556000.jpg

DSCF2970.thumb.JPG.970f94f6876c2e6bf2d02b11c09f7c17.JPG

DSCF2971.thumb.JPG.a784b9010f3633024b768bcfa5e1d63c.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, I've found that I can do a couple of steps, then have to go do something on a larger size for a while. Working in Z and N scales, I get part of a window or door done and I'm off on a more eyeball-friendly aspect of the build. Time to break out an Optivisor or strong drug-store reading glasses, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I reckon these will turn out quite well knowing you Mark; a few done each day will soon add up without too many headaches.  get those yarddogs busy then :)

cheers

Pat

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Figuring out how the heck I'm going to do the cannons and I think I'm on target

This should be interesting Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Good luck and stay sane.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Looks like you have a plan and some nice guidance drawings. That kinda stuff is the interesting part of scratch building and a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Mark

At long last, I’ve finally caught up with your Build Log.  Boy, oh boy, I’m definitely not disappointed.  From the cannons (in spite of your issues with them), the carriages and the wonderful hull and deck...yep, she’s looking really spiffy!

Nicely done, Mark.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Mark:

Allow me to demonstrate my ignorance with a question ...

On the section drawing of the cannon rigging, there is an eyebolt and ring above the gunport on the ceiling. 

Any idea what the purpose of this was?

Your build looks great. I like the way the blackening of the guns turned out. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Really nice progress Mark, love the work on the cannons, should look really sharp when all finally assembled.  Oh, and Licorne is looking pretty good too.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for the support.   Been spending time re-blackening the barrels as they weren't black but looked like darkened bronze.  I'm happy with them now.  Also sorting out the production line... 6 guns at a time, prep the hardware, install it as much as possible off ship, install to ship and go to "next".   This will take some time but I'm shooting for consistency.  <fingers crossed>

4 hours ago, Srodbro said:

Mark:

Allow me to demonstrate my ignorance with a question ...

On the section drawing of the cannon rigging, there is an eyebolt and ring above the gunport on the ceiling. 

Any idea what the purpose of this was?

Your build looks great. I like the way the blackening of the guns turned out. 

Ah.. I see the eyebolt.  Note that this image is for a 74 with port lids as the frigates didn't have lids but bucklers fitted as needed.  That eyebolt in the overhead is for when the lid/buckler is closed and the gun secured.  Basically a rope would be fitted to the eyebolt and rope from it to the muzzle of the gun as the guns were "stored" with the muzzle raised as high as possible. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey been gone awhile witch you. So it took a while catching up with your build. Looks great!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks for following along, for the likes, and commentary...

Still fussing with cannon... I drilled the holes for the rings and hooks that fit to the bulkhead.  The first photo shows the machining jig and drilling tool.  All the barrels are in the carriages and the appropriate hardware added to them.  I also added the trunnion caps made from black paper soaked in CA. (Barely visible in the last photo).  The 2nd pic shows 6 in position to check alignment, etc.   So far... so good.   Now for the fun part... hooks, blocks, and rope for the training gear.  Once that's completed, I'll start adding the breeching and installing the hardware to the bulkhead and connecting everything up.   My only comment is "This stuff is tiny.  Next time, a bigger scale. Admiral permitting of course."  

5-18M.thumb.JPG.e8993732ff5be4c4d2cef7ecdb30bd4a.JPG

5-18N.thumb.JPG.b8ac508906b90dca23e48e7512526ed0.JPG

5-18O.thumb.JPG.9a8ad582f8dca48cb4595c63af8df18d.JPG

5-18O.thumb.JPG.9a8ad582f8dca48cb4595c63af8df18d.JPG

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

lots of tedious drilling.........looking good so far Mark  :)    hope all is well at home.......and agreed!........stay sane ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking really good Mark, how did you make the windows on the galleries I must have missed that

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁