Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

8 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Beautiful stuff, Mark.  Quick question about the second photo, principally where you’ve drilled and the resultant cracked frames.  Are they going to be a drama, or would they be covered up with the planking?

Cheers. 

Patrick

I noticed that also.  No drama here.  I'm thinking it's the weather but I'll take another run at it with the sandpaper as I may have missed it.  There's a few other spots now that I look closer that need it too.

14 minutes ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Looking really good Mark, how did you make the windows on the galleries I must have missed that

I used a product called Micro-Glaze from Model Expo.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks mark, just ordered some Krystal klear

regards

paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Geez. A lot of cannon shot passed through those frames. It must have been a very hot action! Your battery of cannon returned fire, I hope. They look good.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

6 minutes ago, druxey said:

Geez. A lot of cannon shot passed through those frames. It must have been a very hot action! Your battery of cannon returned fire, I hope. They look good.

Thanks Druxey, I needed that laugh today. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Would always go for the bigger scales - don't know what admiral would say though. Great advance on canons, Mark. They're comming alive!

On 16/03/2018 at 3:51 AM, src said:

Looking good Mark.

Bigger is always better.

Sam

Than I'll charge you for ... hmmm ... $ 1.000.000.000 ;)

Nice work Mark. It certainly is a tedious part of the build, but wait for those 2mm blocks to be rigged ... you might reconsider ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking good Mark,

Little stuff. Your looking at a bigger boat next time! Admiral permitting. WOW!

YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH THIS GUY.haha

image.png.ac7484789c5cb14f203ca53abc741136.png

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

I'm going to ignore the 2mm blocks on the guns.  I've ordered 3mm and 4mm blocks from Chuck.  I hope the 3's work but I'll with the 4's if I have to.  What ever's left over will used for rigging (along with another order to Syren.  Very slow going at present so no pictures or updates until the cannon are in place and rigged.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark

Who would ever guess that those cannon would take so many parts? It looks so simple when it is all done; only the builder knows for sure! Looks good.

Mark

Thanks for the likes, the comments and the following along on this adventure.

The first 12 guns are installed on the port side with their breeching ropes.  The traversing tackle is waiting for some Chuck Blocks.  I've drilled the holes and installed the eyebolts for the when the traversing tackle needs to be moved to pull the guns in manually along.  Also installed were the eyebolts for securing the ship's boats.  Holes have been drilled for more eyebolts for the mainmast running rigging.  Those are also on hold until the blocks arrive as I'm not about to try to rig blocks to the eyebolts in place.  The breeching has been seized to the eyebolts but instead of the two seizings shown in various references, I only did one.   My eyes have begun crossing... and I have the starboard side to do yet.

There's a couple of guns not quite in perfect alignment with the rest but I can live with that.

I'm holding off on the deck furniture until all the guns are installed and all the gun tackle is installed.  I'm not going to go through the "oops, broke something" any more if I can avoid it.  For those keeping score... three carriages were broken in the pursuit of installing them and re-made from the extra parts I made.  Fragile little things they are.

Anyway, enough of my blathering on, here's the pictures.

5-18P.thumb.JPG.e046cde7886ef563e910da59e94242e4.JPG

5-18Q.thumb.JPG.1f4e88eccb4b0db49ca8b3e90af24c5f.JPG

5-18R.thumb.JPG.0dfb09dea069cc1f4763df1d4022f77b.JPG

5-18S.thumb.JPG.7841b88df8f3a554576018853ae55fa0.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Real Cool Mark,

I like how you added the "don't mess with me attitude to your ship".;);)

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Super nice looking work Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

She's lookin' fantastic, Mark !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Good progress Mark; some real teeth showing now :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark

...Not deliberately taking the focus away from the guns, but, man oh man, seeing the photos of the hull has suddenly reminded me of just how good a planking job you’ve done.  Very nice, Mark, very nice indeed.

Cheers. 

Patrick

That’s a fearsome broadside, Mark!  I apppreciate the excellent work you have done on her so far.  Incremental progress; little by little you are getting there.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Brilliant work, lol i have stopped crying now after the last hull that you discarded

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Beautiful work Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Just catching up Mark The comment about the nice planking is very evident in the broadside shot with the cannons.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

WOW Mark!  your moving right along!  canons look great  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just caught up with your build log Mark.  Really nice job!  I love the colors.  Cannons are looking great too, what did you use to blacken them?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks everyone.   Still working away at the guns.  I'm setting the last 5 into the hull and rigging the breeching ropes now.   I'm hoping to start mass producting and installing the traversing ropes and hardware maybe on Sunday.   

On 3/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, Kevin said:

Brilliant work, lol i have stopped crying now after the last hull that you discarded

We are an emotional bunch aren't we. ;)  This has had it's issues but not like the first one.  I think after I made the decision, I didn't cry long.  

8 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Just caught up with your build log Mark.  Really nice job!  I love the colors.  Cannons are looking great too, what did you use to blacken them?

I'm using the Birchwood-Casey Brass Black.  It's a bit of a pain in that it takes 2 dips and wiping down after each when dry.   I have a zillion (so it seems) eyebolts waiting for blackening which I'll use Jax Pewter Black for.   I kind of miss the old Blacken-it but I want to see how the Jax works.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you for the likes and the comments.

Meanwhile back in the shipyard, the guns are all installed and have their breeching ropes.  I put in temporarily two markers for the ends of the quarter and fore decks to check for tolerances and to think things through more on the rigging of the mainmast.  So far, so good.  There should be about 12 or 16 eyebolts with blocks for rigging behind the mainmast but that's not going to happen so I'll have to move those lines up to the quarterdeck.   Next up is making and installing the cannon traversing tackle which will be fun but also a pain as the parts are so tiny.   I'm using 5/16 inch Chuck Blocks for these.  I thought about using the 1/8" blocks but they're too tiny for these guns.  Oh well.. maybe for the 4 pounders topside and also for some of the rigging.

Here's the photos...

5-18T.thumb.JPG.315d37cd870cec190ce9154e24cb5adf.JPG5-18U.thumb.JPG.1dab3aa5d0454ee698bad79713f7b8b2.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

At last you are really getting some shipyard time in, and the results are starting to show! Great progress and workmanship.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Powering along now Mark; she looks great!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)