Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Great to see all that sawdust Mark - a sign of real progress! :)

You did measure twice, right?.................. ;)

now........THAT'S SAWDUST!!! :) your well on your way... ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark -

The adventure begins. . .  and we all will be eagerly watching the trip.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

It's making me sneeze ---- but it sure looks great!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You where a busy man Mark  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

And now glue it al together and make a flame of it !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

A flame????   Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................  <runs away screaming> post-76-0-71131300-1397604795.gif

Great to see all that sawdust Mark - a sign of real progress! :)

You did measure twice, right?.................. ;)

Measure twice???  post-76-0-21564500-1397604843.gif  I thought it was cut twice.  Oops... :blush:

Ah, the smell of sawdust in your shop must of been intoxicating!

Ben

Indeed it was.  And beer when I finished, even more so. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry Mark...... :(  :(  :(

I mean FRAME instead of FLAME !!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Whew... thanks for clearing that up.  Almost gave me a heart attack.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see if I got this right... first we make lots of little pieces of wood from big pieces, then we make big pieces of wood from the little pieces so we can cut and shape and make little pieces of wood from those big pieces.   er.. right?  :D  :D  :D    Ok..  I think I got it.  ;)  I finished making all the bigger pieces of wood from the small pieces.   All 60 frame blanks are ready to go.  

Now to start cutting the frames from them. post-76-0-04789100-1398831588.gif

post-76-0-73614000-1398831496_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Have fun making sawdust Mark; I'll be way back in those far stalls munching the pop-corn :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

now........THAT'S SAWDUST!!! :) your well on your way... ;)

Ya reckon?? I've been keeping all the sawdust from my Vulture since I started - that's a 10 litre bucket, more than 3/4 full :D .

Sawdust 002.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

We do generate a lot of sawdust, don't we?   I dump mine in the biowaste recycle can when the shop vac gets full.  I'd be afraid to figure out how much I spent just on the sawdust.  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You are now entering the eerie zone.  You will now saw and sand and waver.  Did you sand to much did you cut correct.  You are now starting down the path of no return.

David B

I think that you've got the process just right Mark, except that you left out the last step -- those last small pieces that you make will be combined into a really big piece.

Bob

Mark, Dan, thats not sawdust, those are little tiny granules of Retirement Induced Contentment and Happiness! Your R.I.C.H!

And now a question. Are each of your frames made of two layers with the joins off set or one layer with half lapped joints? I enlarged the photo and for the life of me I cant tell.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Let's see if I got this right... first we make lots of little pieces of wood from big pieces, then we make big pieces of wood from the little pieces so we can cut and shape and make little pieces of wood from those big pieces.   er.. right?  :D  :D  :D    Ok..  I think I got it.  ;)  I finished making all the bigger pieces of wood from the small pieces.   All 60 frame blanks are ready to go.  

Now to start cutting the frames from them. attachicon.gifwoohoo-1298.gif

attachicon.gif1-11.JPG

Yes, that's the process as I remember it.  I actually learned it from Julia Child.  You take a whole turkey, cut it into 22 pieces, cook it then patch it back together with toothpicks so it looks nice before you slice it.  Same with aeromodeling......screw/glue 850 odd pieces into one big one then put it in a flat spin for the 're-kitting' operation. 

Press on, mate......it's getting interesting :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Sam,

Two layers with the joins offset.  Hahn provides a plan for the blank layout which I think can be seen under the blanks.  I hang onto those also just in case...

David,

I was on the path of no return a long time ago...  :D

Augie,

I think I found out why my aeromodeling and flying didn't work.  I never perfected the flat spin.  Mine spiraled in...

It will probably be a while before the next update (or not).  I'm going to cut out all 60 frames first before trying to mount them in the jig permanently.  I've found that doing "production run" methods on things is keeping me focused and allows for re-making parts easier.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So, from full time work, to retirement, to working on a production line eh Mark?................

Can't wait to see what rolls off the end of the line! :)

Thanks for the likes and comments...

Wayne,

I'm at the step where take the re-made big pieces into small pieces with curves.  

Michiel,

You are correct. There should be something we can make from all the sawdust...  maybe mix it with glue and do sculptures?

Grant,

Luckily, I didn't do production line work when I worked... :)   But there is a lot of satisfaction in turning out a piece, checking it, and putting it on the "good" pile.  I had my share of "oh crap" pieces that are in the scrap box, but not as many as I thought I would.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just a light update... been working on frames.  Have several cut and test fitted and all reference points marked.

The pics below show how I'm solving the issues that plagued me on Version 1.0.   

Since all measurements are referenced to the build board, I've added a tab to each frame to securely locate that point (green arrow). After I cut in that part of the frame, I fit it and re-measure, re-refrence the other points. 

One set of points is where the deck clamps need to be so the red arrows show those.  1/8" deck beam, a 1/8" clamp and 1/16" inch plank will put the deck height were it needs to be.  This particular frame is #1 and thus, there's three decks.. lower, gun, and forecastle.

The blue arrows reference the outside dimensions of the gun port cutout for the sill to sit properly.  I'm using a 1/8" sill and when they're fitted I'll finesse them to be exact.

The black arrows point to the line for the wales.  These are small cuts into the frame and filled with colored glue to hightlight  They only demarcate the transition line from wale to planking and vice versa.

The black arrow with the white fill is the cutline for when this beast is finally cut from the build board.  A top rail will sit on top of this line.

I'm going slow and careful to avoid dong wrong what I did the last time.

post-76-0-28550300-1399237782_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-17802900-1399237785_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-12667000-1399237788_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You really do have a plan this time Mark!! I'm sure everything you learned in V1.0 will give you a great headstart with V2.0.

I'm just stumbling along from piece to piece with my Pegasus.

Ben

Looking great Mark - all you have to do now is remember which mark is which ;)  :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)