Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

There is also so embossed paper sheets of brick stock that MicroMark pedals.

Mark, the firebox looks good. You need to dirty it up, to give it a used look.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

make up a black wash and your good to go  :)    look'in great Mark!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

In real life, the bricks already are dark and dirty looking.   I'll try to get photo in natural light as the flash seems to have lightened them up..  or I have a camera problem.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's a pic of the one that the wood work and brick work are completed in "extreme" closeup.    I see that I need a bit of touch up paint.. hmm.. missed that I did when I effected repairs after the glue pulled the paint off.  And there's dust all over it. I took the picture outside so there's some "hotspots"... 

Needs the two brass pots and also the top with chimney.  I bought the brass to today so I'll start pushing my envelope tomorrow or as soon as the other fireplace is done. 

These are more of a test to push myself harder.  I'm not unhappy with them.... just realize I need to push a bit harder.

5-19b.thumb.JPG.c73bc45d74dc00bc5b00f55cd1effaa6.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree it's time for a Bar-B-Que, but I think it should be steak!

Great work it is hard to believe that what we are looking at is only at  3/16th scale!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looks good to me!

I fully understand the desire to push yourself harder and do better. I've been going through a lot of that on my build lately where I'm happy with what I am doing but keep wondering if I can do better. That is probably a common thought to most of us I bet.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

In a lot of ways, I think that’s what this hobby is about;  I like what I did there, buuut...:(

the beauty of this forum is that I now get to see other peoples’ resourceful ideas while I might be trying to do something. love it!:10_1_10:

I say, Mark, work it until you are satisfied.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

looks really good mark :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the likes, comments, and encouragement.  These two parts were harder than I thought they'd be but worth the effort for the confidence even if they won't be seen once the foredeck is in place.   

Steak?  BBQ?  Either works for me.  Although I'm sure the standard fare at that time was something less wonderful.

Well.. the stoves/fireplaces are just about there.  The chimneys currently aren't glued into place as with the work on the upper deck, I don't want to risk damage.  But I did put one into position to see how it looks.  I'm thinking mission accomplished.  There is a small pile of scrap now in the bin from the failures but I'm very pleased with the final result.  I still need to do the two pots per so will hit the mill hopefully tomorrow along with some planning for the next steps....  <looks at list of things to do><shrugs><pours fresh cup of coffee> Hmm... ship's boats it looks like... 3 of them stacked and secured over the hatches forward of the main mast.

Here's the pics...

5-19c.thumb.JPG.1e1fc2c601cafb59bbe86f35b0f169d6.JPG5-19d.thumb.JPG.3b1c996397096679b10d44f510af2626.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

15 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Steak?  BBQ?  Either works for me.  Although I'm sure the standard fare at that time was something less wonderful.

Come on Mark! TWO stoves AND an oven on a medium sized fifth rate frigate. It appears that these guys were true Frenchmen and valued their food! I don't think the Victory had that much cooking ability! 

SUPER SUPER SUPER job on the stoves and those brass hoods look exactly right! Your tenacity truly paid off!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mark, your build is looking fantastic and I love your attention to detail. Keep up the great job you are doing! Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

I realize I'm late to the party, but what a cool ship! Looking forward to seeing the continuation. I love the stoves, too - really neat!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Great job on the ovens Mark; I am sure the wine store was equally well proportioned :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautifully done Mark - I have my apron on and cooking utensils in hand, I'm ready to cook baby :10_1_10:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

They look great Mark.  How did you make the tops to the stove?  Are those metal?  Wood?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Stoves are on hold for a few days.   The cutters on the lathe need to be sharper so I took a new and an old one over to the local sharpening guy..  I told him what I was doing and he's interested so hopefully by the weekend I can be cutting cookware.   He's actually going to deliver as he wants to see the ship and also check the cut on the lathe. 

I put a small barrel (4 feet tall or so) next to each stove just for some interest.  Not sure if any of this will be visible but I'll know it's there.  Also starting a rigging table and did some testing.  It looks like I'll be able to have access to the foot of the main mast for rigging so I added the eyebolts around it.  I'll double check before I start doing the forecastle.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:02 PM, lmagna said:

Come on Mark! TWO stoves AND an oven on a medium sized fifth rate frigate. It appears that these guys were true Frenchmen and valued their food! I don't think the Victory had that much cooking ability! 

SUPER SUPER SUPER job on the stoves and those brass hoods look exactly right! Your tenacity truly paid off!

Ovens were common on French ships...  As for these stoves, I doubt that they anywhere near the capacity that the Victory had.   As I recall, each pot is about 3 feet in diameter and 3 feet high.  Maybe a bit more. 

On 4/30/2018 at 5:08 PM, BANYAN said:

Great job on the ovens Mark; I am sure the wine store was equally well proportioned :)

cheers

Pat

Rats.. forgot the wine cellar.  

On 5/1/2018 at 6:51 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

They look great Mark.  How did you make the tops to the stove?  Are those metal?  Wood?

Mike, the tops are 0.010" brass.  I used a pill bottle of the right size to bend the sheet brass around, cut to length and bent up the edges for securing to the stove.  I also used an old piece of broom stick as a backing when I drilled the chimney mounting hole.  There's a small round rod inside the square chimney to secure it to the top.    The front and rear panels were rough cut out (larger than needed) and silver soldered to the top.   Once cool, they were filed down to the roof.  Then they were cleaned up with an acetone bath and blackened with Birchwood Casey Brass Black.   I prefer this to the Jax even though the Birchwood Casey takes two "dips", it doesn't need as much polisining after blackening.

I hope this helps.    

Now to go fiddle with making 3 ships boats.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

As is my ilk, I tend to research, think, then jump right in.  My next step is the ship's boats.  I've been looking over the plans and sorting out to do this with out making a dog's breakfast of it.  For the cutter and the barge (the two smaller boats) I'm going to use a modified jig.   The longboat will be built around the plug that I already have made.  This may change once I really get into things.

Basically, I have a couple of old ME ship's boat kits.. a 5 inch and one that appears to be 6"  (by their definition).   To make a long story short, I took their instructions and modified the heck out of the plans and the thus, new parts, which I've drawn up and cut on the laser using boxwood for the keel, the stern, and first frame.   The only seats will be the fixed ones at the rear and bow.  I'll decide on what goes in this boat once I get it put together.   But, historically, everything was removed, rudder, oars, the benches the rowers used, etc. and stored in the hold.  The other two will be the same since the boats were stacked n the gundeck.

The picture shows the keel with the stern structure and also the first frame.   The stern structure gets planked externally first before doing the strakes.   The frame has been modified for the forward "seat" instead of a bulkhead as some boats (other navies) had.  As soon as I get the forms added to the build board, I'll start install the keel and start planking.   Looks to be another small (size) fun part of the build.

13-1.thumb.JPG.345032ebbd72b55b776044e463117336.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good Mark; nice to have a laser cutter for accurately fitting parts.  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for looking in and the likes everyone.

Thanks Pat.  The laser is a blessing as I couldn't cut that accurately.  I'm still sorting things out.  I ended tossing the work above and re-doing it with some tweeking and am starting to plank, again with boxwood.  I'm a lot happier with the mods I made a day ago or so.  It also struck me that I should build the "big" boat first and work down from there, but no.. I have to do it the hard way, start tiny and get bigger.  :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, 

I've been doing some catch up on your build.  Truly impressive and beautiful!

I'm in awe!

thanks for sharing your work with us

Marc

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I have to do it the hard way

A man after my own heart.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

A man after my own heart.

Me too!  That seems to be the story of my life....

Nonetheless, Mark, I’ve got no doubt that you’re gonna ace those ship’s boats of yours.

I’m looking forward to seeing them come to life.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Looks great Mark.  Good to see you putting the Death Star to good use :)

Hey, just think of it this way - if you tackle the small one first, everything will be downhill from there!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)