Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Big smiley !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Again mate, just brilliant. A qiestion though, what are your plans on the side next to the transom? There's a gap which doesn't look finished yet.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Greg,

I had to think about what you were asking.... the quarter galleries go there to hide the ugliness.   :)   We can't just have a doorway from the Great Cabin to the water can we?  Or maybe I can forget the gallery and add a diving board..  hmm.... what would Popeye do???  :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very, VERY nice work Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looks really good Mark; good luck with the top-down approach to the collar.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Quite lovely Mark, you've come a long way :)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

I think she looks absolutely splendid Mark.

I'm sure with a little perseverance you'll find your answer to the rudder collar, there is a solution out there somewhere. Not too sure going in from the top is the right answer though, unless it's just to get you over the top of the rudder post.

Have you tried the domestic front, some bread or pastry dough, chewed chewing gum or something similar, off the wall I know but may work.

Good luck mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Exscuse me, Mark....

why did you let all that space for pintles rudder?

attachicon.gifpost-76-0-59032900-1459190396.jpg

Moreover, the pintles should be within the space, so the rudder remains in the stern straight wire; The rudder seems too far from the stern

attachicon.gifpost-7696-0-89789700-1458849335.jpg

That's what I had on the plans for cutting the rudder...  HIndsight...it's wrong.  Also, I used the wrong size pintle and cudgeon material. I'm adding this to my "lessons learned".    I take another look and see if I can fix it although without destroying the stern planking, I'm not sure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Mark

Life is a learning curve. I don't know about you and all our family on this great forum, but I learn something every day. That way we grow stronger and if I dare to say, wiser

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

"...learning curve".......  you got that right---- usually  one step forward and two back in my case.........LOL

j

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Well... I did the self-beating and now that I've calmed myself down, I took a long hard look.  No excuses.  It's not right.  So...  once again.. DE-CONSTRUCTION TIME.    Stay tuned.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good luck Mark!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Mark.

I really don't know what to say....apart from....Noooooooooo! A lesson learned, is a lesson learned, however; so, I guess as harsh as it sounds, you have to be happy with it.

We're all here to support, watch and admire.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Mark,

You don't have to do the same as me.

Starting all over again every time !

But I'm happy that I'am not alone in this  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

You'll be happier with the end product though otherwise you would always 'see' that even if everyone else doesn't. I'm currently remaking rising wood sections around 20 times each piece and no one will even see those.

Bet ship modellers would like hair vests as we seem to like self punishment..

Life's a bitch, Mark, and it makes modelling from time to time a real unpleasant challenge ... but the rewards when successful can be astronomical ... I am certain you feel relieved after resolving this setback.

I wish you lots of strength. You're in my thoughts. If you need someone to beat, just popover ;)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I agree that sometimes we're gluttons for punishment.  And actually I do like knowing when I've messed up as it points out where my skills/attention/etc need improving.   

Anyway, destruction went well.  Just holes in the planking to fill.  It seems that nothing really sticks to Wipe-on-Poly and it cleaned up nicely.  I've sanded those areas down to bare wood, made a new cutting template and will be proceeding (and remembering to take photos) on the morrow.  And I'll get the rudder coat on this time.  ;)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It seems that "re-do MSW Club" keeps doors wide open this days, Mark

Be careful  inside my friend ... find your Dragon, Daenerys Targaryen, it is a house of Undying ("undying" in any mean) ... and keep in mind Daenerys quote " If I look back, I am lost" 

:10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:

BTW, I gave to visit eye doctor - I can not see any mistake !!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Mark.

I really don't know what to say....apart from....Noooooooooo! A lesson learned, is a lesson learned, however; so, I guess as harsh as it sounds, you have to be happy with it.

We're all here to support, watch and admire.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

I can hear Noooooooooo from allover the world.

There is 1 thing I hate: the word "re-do"! Let's call it "enhancement" instead. Its sounds a lot better.

Good luck Mark on the enhancement of the rudder!

No words of wisdom or profound statements from me Mark, just a whole lot of encouragement mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

it's never any fun Mark  :(    I'm pull'in for ya too

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hang in there, brother. The average Joe won't know you re-did the rudder, but deep in your soul, you'll know, even five years from now.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the feedback and support.. it means a lot and shows what we have at MSW.    

It seems that "re-do MSW Club" keeps doors wide open this days, Mark

Be careful  inside my friend ... find your Dragon, Daenerys Targaryen, it is a house of Undying ("undying" in any mean) ... and keep in mind Daenerys quote " If I look back, I am lost" 

:10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:

BTW, I gave to visit eye doctor - I can not see any mistake !!!

I guess I need to connect the TV and watch Game of Thrones...   I won't look back as I don't want to know what's gaining on me  (Famous baseball player quote).

Well done Mark, the hard part is over - making the decision to re-do!

The decision was easy Grant.  The finding the materials is/was an issue.  Brass tube and rods the right size,  Some more boxwood...    I've gathered things up and starting to make way.

I can hear Noooooooooo from allover the world.
There is 1 thing I hate: the word "re-do"! Let's call it "enhancement" instead. Its sounds a lot better.

Good luck Mark on the enhancement of the rudder!

You don't need luck, we are all behind you 100%.
Havagooday
Greg

Let's go back to when we were kids.... Do-Over!!!!!!!

Hang in there, brother. The average Joe won't know you re-did the rudder, but deep in your soul, you'll know, even five years from now.

I quite agree, Ken.  We need to make ourselves happy first.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A brave decision, a bold decision but a wise decision.  Your redo will be perfect, making the model perfect.  Most, if not all of us had to go through a redo or two or more and those who haven't experienced it yet, will.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Mark,

I am late to your party but request permission to come aboard. I've been through the thread from start to present and it reads like a text book. Thank your for your thorough documentation. I can see many lessons that are going to be valuable to me.

Respectfully,

John Maguire