Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Nicely done Mark,

Thanks for the explanation on the micro-glaze & glass. Great information.

- Bug

Nice work Mark!!

It is very coming along nicely.

JP

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

I have never used Micro-glaze Mark,  Usually it was acetate or microscope glass.  Thanks for the tutorial.

David B

It was a first time for me also David.  I've always used acetate and it just never looks "right".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice glazing job Mark.  Yeah, acetate works but does not reflect the primitive glazing they used in those days, especially a few hundred years ago, like my VOC ship.

Hmmm, would it be too late for me to change????  :o

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Mark 

the widows are so good. Was there any warping  sideway and up and down, or just twisting?

The small size of the timber would almost be impossible to be done without your death star.

Havagoodone mate

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

It warped the long way, Greg which would be the normal direction as the grain runs from side to side.  If I had turned the wood 90 degrees to cut it, it would have warped sideways.  Then again, I'm wondering if the Euro Boxwood itself.. I have some more and the thinner stuff is warping.  

And I agree, cutting the small bits like windows, even the nameplate on the rear would be pretty darn hard.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments on the windows.  I hope it helps someone.

I would advise that you definitely test on a dummy/scrap window before trying the real thing.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, if I may add something. Check in a well stocked hobby shop for Microscale Decals Micro Kristal Klear. It can be used on windows up to about a quarter inch. In a pinch, some have used it as a glue for clear plastic, since CA tends to fog up clear plastic. Sells in a 1 ounce bottle.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Chris,

It was the MM brand of Micro-Glaze.   I don't know if they still sell it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ken,

I'm late with this... I'll look into that for the next ship. I'm kinda' locked into this method for the rest of the glazing, I think.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, I put it out for general use by anyone who is trying to glaze small windows, as an alternative to the MM stuff. I didn't see it in the current MM catalog, but it may be on the website.

Keep on truckin' with what you're doing. :)  I am fascinated by the POF Hahn construction. Some day I may do one. :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It's good to see you back, Sam, even if just for a bit.  Work is hell..  :)

Ken, I think the Microscale needs a topic of it's own out there.  I did some Googling and this might be perfect for many of us.

These pictures are some of "test" shots to sort things out.

The stern now has it's upper molding and the rest planked in ebony.  It still needs more sanding  

The main stern carving is a "bad" carving blank which is hitting the scrap box as it's served it's purpose.  I stuck it on with some double sided tape for position and appearance.  I noted that it's too low and needs to be higher to look right.  The real carving is on the workbench and slowly being attacked with various implements of construction and destruction.   :) I think it's a perspective issue when I stuck it on.  The transom being angled, it looks low when viewed head on.  

The taffrail... this one's a headache.  I've changed the drawing to reflect where this one doesn't quite fit and also to lengthen the "legs".  I originally designed it as a one piece but the legs are entirely cross-grain which weakens things (I think I've broken about 5 at this point while cleaning off the char). The other is an appearance  that I'm not happy with.  The cross-grain on the legs just looks dirty no matter how much it's sanded/scraped.  I even cut one in half and the cut area looks "dirty".   Anyway, I've reworked it so it's made of three pieces.. a crosspiece and two legs with the grain going in the proper direction.  I hope to cut another later today or tomorrow.

I'm noticing that things are quite perfect still in the dimension area but not much I can do at point, but I'll sort it out and tweak as best I can.  I'm about 1/32" (2") off on the level, left-to-right where the transom meets the counter.  And it's off about the same on witdth.  One side is just a bit wider at the top.   I'm thinking that the beams shifted slightly when I was reconstructing this area.  Nothing serious but I thought I'd point it out.

I do need to flip this beast over and plank the inside of the transom area above the deck beam so I can sand it down and shape before fitting the taffrail.  

I'm thinking, right now, the taffrail will be un-adorned.  I tried carving some acanthus leaves for this area, but... I need a lot more practice for some thing that tiny. I keep at it as there's no rush on the carvings.

post-76-0-73647200-1455473127_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-00795000-1455473140_thumb.jpg

Comments and critiques are always welcomed and yes, this is to be continued. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No comment or critiques Mark.

Just what Sam is saying.....drooling !!!!!!!!!!

Great job so far.

I'll will be waiting for other results.......

Sjors

Beautifully done Mark,

The windows are well spaced and have even symmetrical shape to them, and

with the glazing it is going to finish very well done.

Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Really well done Mark!  To me, wrongly proportioned or aligned windows can ruin what is otherwise a nice model.  Yours look spot on, very nice job!

I like the glazing you used.  I bought that same stuff from Micromark a while back because I didn't want to fiddle with plastic film or glass and getting errand glue smudges.  The effect is really nice.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The stern is coming along nicely Mark; keep practising the leaves - you'll get there.

Is it a trick of the light or have your treated the window glazing to create an internal candle glow effect?  Looks great in the photo.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looks Amazing Mark, Beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

looks really nice Mark.......if you hadn't mentioned the short comings,  I would never had known.   I tip my hat to anyone who can make decorations like that.....yours is just another stunning example!   very nice work!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.   

No comment or critiques Mark.

Just what Sam is saying.....drooling !!!!!!!!!!

Great job so far.

I'll will be waiting for other results.......

Sjors

That makes two of us waiting for other results, Sjor.   ;)

Really well done Mark!  To me, wrongly proportioned or aligned windows can ruin what is otherwise a nice model.  Yours look spot on, very nice job!

I like the glazing you used.  I bought that same stuff from Micromark a while back because I didn't want to fiddle with plastic film or glass and getting errand glue smudges.  The effect is really nice.

The glazing is growing on me.  I like the imperfection of it and the longer it sits, the stronger it seems to have become.  

The stern is coming along nicely Mark; keep practising the leaves - you'll get there.

Is it a trick of the light or have your treated the window glazing to create an internal candle glow effect?  Looks great in the photo.

cheers

Pat

It actually back lite by shop light, Pat.  I opened the blinds since it was "somewhat" sunny today and killed the flash.  :)  It almost makes want to put in LED's...  A little late for that, I think.

Beautifully done Mark,

The windows are well spaced and have even symmetrical shape to them, and

with the glazing it is going to finish very well done.

Chris

Thanks Chris. The windows fit nicely on the transom frames.  I think is right.. the window spacing is the "big deal".  

And I think I found the problem...  the area highlighted in red.  I'm thinking that the framing underneath is off a bit.  Since the planks edges are flush with that framing..  so it goes.  Sanding sticks at the ready.

post-76-0-00491500-1455496893_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nothing works like elbow grease Mark.  Nice work. I'm becoming super envious of the laser cutter though.  How long til Father's day when I can make up an excuse to buy something else?  Heh