mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - ON INDEFINITE HOLD

Thanks Pat.  I'm aiming for a canvas look.   I'm waiting for the color to dry on the latest bit of silkspan and then I'll fit and take a hard look.  Even though this is under the counter, I still want it looking "right" and nice.  

Thanks for the likes, comments, and suggestions including those via PM.

After many attempts and much aggravation, I'm giving up on the rudder coat.   I've learned a few lessons on this and presumably the time spent counts towards the 10,000 hours that Druxey mentions.

I've tried silkspan, paper, cloth, even foil.  I considered sculpy clay and may still try that but for now... I'll move on.  It boils down to at this moment, there's not enough room to work. I went too far on the stern build out and rudder installation.

The lessons..

1) Think not just 100 steps but a 1000.   When I planked the counter, I put on Wipe-on-Poly.... errr.. no.  Should have waited.  (Not thinking far enough ahead).  Possibly I needed to sort the rudder coat at this time but definitely before fitting the rudder into place.

2) When I buildt the rudder, the pins on the rudder irons should have been a bit longer and tapered before soldering up the irons.  (Lack of knowledge.. need deeper research early on).

3) By tapering the pins and opening up the recesses in the rudder, the rudder could be removed and re-installed easily.  (Doooh... moment).

Anyway, for now, I'll take a pass, not worry about it but continue to think.  If I get an "ah-ha" moment, I'll add it later.

Meantime, I'm adding the strop and the chains.

Build and learn in the extreme hey Mark ;)  I hope you're logging these 'lessons learned' - sadly i didn't and will probably repeat a few (another lesson learned :)).  I am sure you will find a solution to your collar issue when you least expect it.  I am also recalling a muuch rum befuddled memory from MSW 1  (I think) where someone used the inner foil from cigarette packets for this task also???

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

I formed mine using a like size dowel.   I do believe I cemented the hull edge in place and folded it inward after it was dry.  when the rudder was set in place,  it gave the appearance that it was connected to the rudder.  good idea to occupy yourself with something else.........it will give you more time to think of a solution.    you'll come up with something......I'm sure of it  ;)

Mark,

Re the rudder coat (thought it was an apron, but that proved wrong) ... couldn't you make a sleeve which at one end is inverted - to make a rounded bottom - and push that down the top of the rudder trough the 'hole' (keep on forgetting those names, darn foreign nautical terminology) ... I would use something like musseline or rice paper (the type used for shoji - Japanese sliding doors e.g.) ..

Cheers

Edited by cog

Thanks for the likes, the comments, and the ideas.

Carl, I think you might be onto something. I never thought about coming in from the top.  I'll take another look this week and see.  

Pat, I seem to recall that build also... too many years ago,.. <sigh>  Oh yes, I'm logging the lessons.

Here's the rudder in it's not quite or maybe it is, final form.  (Rudder coat notwithstanding).  I've added the strop and the chains.   Now that's back in it's jig, I'm going to attend to several things...  the rudder coat install from the top, the carvings <takes a deep breath>, the quarter galleries, and a bit if finishing up the sanding on the inside of the hull.

And the pictures.  I'm pretty happy with it even with some issues that the macro brings up..  

post-76-0-10913400-1459190387_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-59032900-1459190396_thumb.jpg

lovely work, lol you were on the windows last time I looked, just where is my time going to,  I had to giggle when you were talking about the rudder pins and needing a bigger scale next time,and the same discussion would be brought up on some detail that we hadnt even thought of

Greg,

I had to think about what you were asking.... the quarter galleries go there to hide the ugliness.   :)   We can't just have a doorway from the Great Cabin to the water can we?  Or maybe I can forget the gallery and add a diving board..  hmm.... what would Popeye do???  :D  :D  :D

I think she looks absolutely splendid Mark.

I'm sure with a little perseverance you'll find your answer to the rudder collar, there is a solution out there somewhere. Not too sure going in from the top is the right answer though, unless it's just to get you over the top of the rudder post.

Have you tried the domestic front, some bread or pastry dough, chewed chewing gum or something similar, off the wall I know but may work.

Good luck mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Exscuse me, Mark....

why did you let all that space for pintles rudder?

attachicon.gifpost-76-0-59032900-1459190396.jpg

Moreover, the pintles should be within the space, so the rudder remains in the stern straight wire; The rudder seems too far from the stern

attachicon.gifpost-7696-0-89789700-1458849335.jpg

That's what I had on the plans for cutting the rudder...  HIndsight...it's wrong.  Also, I used the wrong size pintle and cudgeon material. I'm adding this to my "lessons learned".    I take another look and see if I can fix it although without destroying the stern planking, I'm not sure.

G'day Mark

Life is a learning curve. I don't know about you and all our family on this great forum, but I learn something every day. That way we grow stronger and if I dare to say, wiser

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Hi Mark.

I really don't know what to say....apart from....Noooooooooo! A lesson learned, is a lesson learned, however; so, I guess as harsh as it sounds, you have to be happy with it.

We're all here to support, watch and admire.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

You'll be happier with the end product though otherwise you would always 'see' that even if everyone else doesn't. I'm currently remaking rising wood sections around 20 times each piece and no one will even see those.

Bet ship modellers would like hair vests as we seem to like self punishment..

Life's a bitch, Mark, and it makes modelling from time to time a real unpleasant challenge ... but the rewards when successful can be astronomical ... I am certain you feel relieved after resolving this setback.

I wish you lots of strength. You're in my thoughts. If you need someone to beat, just popover ;)

Cheers