Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks Mark, and to every one else.

I'll be starting the next 2 boats in the morning.  I'm going to work them at the same time as it'll save me some repetition time like having to reset the laser for each thickness of wood since I can cut two with one setting.  I'm finishing up tweaking the drawings from what I learned on the first one.  So diving off the deep end again but into familiar waters.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hey there Mark...........just caught up with your log!   sorry to hear that you were having problems.......haven't visited here as much as I would like to.   I'm hoping to find my way back to the wood side soon ;)    glad to read on that things have gotten better for you,  but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get back to a norm that makes you happy.   great job on the ship's boat.......looks like you've rekindled the mojo to continue with this project. :) 

truly super job.......keep good thoughts

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and comments.   Time for a proof of life update.

Life has gotten quite a bit quieter lately, which is good.  So I focused on these little boats.  The barge (the middle sized one) jig went well and so deciding to be bold and do both at the same time, I started on the cutter jig.  Hmm... not so good.  It's smaller and everything is proportionally more fragile.  So.... spent a lot of time remake parts that I broke in the fitting.  I solved the breakage problem by reducing down the laser marking in thickness and expanding the "bits" that hold the pieces together.  Ended up coating many of them with 2 coats of white glue and water.  Seems to work and tests say I'll be able to snap those naughty bits on the lines without damage.

The jigs are built, the keels installed with few other necessary bits and pieces and I'm ready to start actually building the boats.  So, I'm off to fix the ribs and start planking.  Here's a photo of the jigs and the larger boat (finished).  The Longboat (finished) is 6 inches long (152.4mm), the barge is 5 inches (127mm), and the cutter is 4 inches (101.6mm) long.

13-aa.thumb.JPG.2f27800638aa0166e3593195923ac4be.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Seems you have these boat skeletons all sorted in the death star now Mark?  Looking good!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments and likes.   As brief update, the small one is being started over again as there's some issues (probably I'm the issue) with the thinness of the woods for the jig and smaller curves for the frames.  I'm reworking and rethinking this as I plank the larger one.   And then there's life getting in the way in good way.  Ran into an old friend where I used to work and we're seeing each other.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally... an update.

The two remaining small boats are on hold for now.  I needed a change of pace and break from those fiddly things.

I've installed the forecastle and quarterdeck beams.  And also installed the pumps.  Clearances have been checked and re-checked for rigging to come at a much later date.

Next up is planking the decks and associated bulwarks.  I'm starting with forecastle.  Here's photos:

5-20.thumb.JPG.6265fc160024a35bafaa90f2acb90e82.JPG7-1.thumb.JPG.da98addd30cc6cf1627be961c627de89.JPG6-1.thumb.JPG.1ddd672e0b6c2c0aa465aa5c23ac598c.JPG5-21.thumb.JPG.621d1e6390f83071f90e0dc9af51c8a5.JPG

I had to get the camera repaired and it would appear that the repairs were successful.

Till next time.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work, and clear photography :)  Won't be long before you have the upper deck planking on now Mark ;) 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Fantastic work!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Lawrence,

If I remember right, it was an X-acto handle with an X-acto saw blade.   These are at the blades: https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X215-Blades-15-Pkg/dp/B000BREQDO  The Handle is this one:  http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/detail/X3261

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Really nice work mark  - she is coming along lovely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I thank you for the likes comments.  But I do have sad news.  I'm indefinitely pausing this builds.   There's some minor errors but basically, since what has happened in my personal life, I can't stand to look or work on her.   So for now, until I can get through the healing process, she will be, as the British Navy would say: "In Ordinary" pending further decisions.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm sorry to read of your situation, Mark. I hope that things will improve for you sooner rather than later. In the meantime, my best wishes to you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Mark,

I can't express my feeling and concern for you any better than druxy did. My thoughts are with you.

John

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Sorry to read that, Mark, but you know your heart. We'll be here for you when you feel the need👍.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mark, I'm sorry to hear this. I do want to thank you for sharing all that you've done thus far, so many of us have learned so much from you. Whatever choice you make down the road, you've helped so many people by sharing this that the project is already a wonderful achievement.

Mark, sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you the best.  Like everyone else has said before, we will be here when you are ready. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Mark, I pray you find something or someone to ease the pain till you heal. You have friends here and each is willing to listen should you need a ear.  

Mark,

I'm sorry to hear this.  I hope things get better for you.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks gentlemen.   I have a local support system (my psychologist and my lady friend) and this seems to be the best way.  Things have improved emotionally from what they were a few years ago, and will continue but for now, I have to put her away and clear my brain.  The old saying "time heals all wounds" applies.

Don't expect to see much progress reported on my La Belle-Poule build as I'm reworking the drawings to size and converting many to be cut using the laser.   Once that's done... rock and roll time.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I thank you for the likes comments.  But I do have sad news.  I'm indefinitely pausing this builds.   There's some minor errors but basically, since what has happened in my personal life, I can't stand to look or work on her.   So for now, until I can get through the healing process, she will be, as the British Navy would say: "In Ordinary" pending further decisions.

So sorry to hear mark we will stiil be here to support you and follow your build when you are ready to return, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Stay strong mark, you can do it and licorne will be patiently waiting to come out of ordinary

Best regards

Paul 

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Mark,

Your support group will be the beacon of light to get you through the darkest days.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.