Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you have a good support system.  I went through a difficult time a number of years ago with no support system; it was "interesting". One thing which did help immensely however, was biking.  If you have a good/safe area you can ride, I highly recommend it.  20 minutes into each ride (a ride lasting 2 hours, 2 or 3 times per week), my head would clear and things wouldn't seem as overwhelming.  The additional physical benefits of the actual exercise were also amazing.  

Alan

Sorting yourself out is the highest priority mate; ships in ordinary stayed there for years.  My thoughts and wishes are with you.

regards

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I can’t say it any better than Pat has Mark, so I’ll just add my support and best wishes through these troubled times. We’re here for you whenever you’re ready.

The whole group here, including yours truly are thinking positive thoughts for you and wishing you the best!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. This, too, will pass. Life will get better. We move on and grow. Rely on your therapist and your friends.

You'll be okay, but it does take time to grieve a bit and heal. Be good to yourself. Remember, "Boats get you through times of no love better than love gets you through times of no boats! "

You are not alone. If you're wondering "How the hell does he know?" Well... I've been a divorce attorney for forty years. :D

Mark,

I would support your decision to shelve this project.  We all know that we use this hobby to help us during times of duress.  There had been a project I had worked on in troubled times, and when things got better, whenever I looked at that project, it brought back bad memories, so like you, I had to put it away.  It was for the best.

Time to start a new project to help you remember these times that are seeming to get better.

Scott

Edited by ScottRC

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Just some more info.. this was not a decision made lightly.  My wife has something called Early Onset Dementia with Paranoia.   The divorce was to protect myself financially first and emotionally second.  Seems I was/am the main target of the paranoia but she has put everyone into silos so no one gets the same information.   It basically took my visiting her in the hospital after her last surgery and then after I left she tore the room apart looking for "bugs".   They finally got their clue and did something.   She has an "administrator" since I did not feel able to make decisions fairly.  

I'm not angry, crap happens.  I'm saddened.   Not much I can do except make what remains of life as pleasant as possible.

If you want more info, look up the disease I posted above.  I'm also open to PM's.  I am going ahead with a new build which I have log for... the Belle Poule.   

Thanks again for your support and kindness.  Those are things that seem to be disappearing in the modern world.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:(

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

had no idea Mark...........came in to catch up.......man,  I am so sorry to hear :(  know that I care and am pull'in for you my friend.  just one more thing that I'm bummed about..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/17/2019 at 6:47 PM, mtaylor said:

I thank you for the likes comments.  But I do have sad news.  I'm indefinitely pausing this builds.   There's some minor errors but basically, since what has happened in my personal life, I can't stand to look or work on her.   So for now, until I can get through the healing process, she will be, as the British Navy would say: "In Ordinary" pending further decisions.

I'm sorry to hear of your life issues Mark and wish there was something I could do to help out other than my prayers. If we lived closer, I would finish the build for you if nothing else, it my have given you a peace of mind and soul. I wish you all the best and hang in there and if you need anything never hesitate to ask.

mike  

On 8/19/2019 at 11:41 PM, mtaylor said:

Not much I can do except make what remains of life as pleasant as possible.

That is wise and clever point of view, my friend. Don't wait for happy hours - just make them!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark, 

Sad news. My wife's father also got Early Onset Dimentia but without the paranoia. He lived with us for a while until we couldn't take care of him. 

Regards

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

As is everyone else, here, I am sorry that you are facing such a difficult time, Mark.  My hope is that you will find the strength and support you need to get through it all with your spirit and heart intact.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thanks guys.   BTW, I'm terminating this.  Janet wanted in her room at the facility and her sister has taken it to her even though it's no where near complete.  I did give her instructions (and also to give to the staff) that if she destroys it, to toss as much as they can into a bag and get it back to me.  I figure there's a few parts I can salvage... and yes, I expect the worst as paranoia is forever.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many ships that have gone into ordinary have come out to have brilliant voyages, we wish you the best. Calm seas and following winds.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

That's a tough one, like Carl says. Hope it works out, Mark.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That's a tough decision to make, Mark, but it seems like the right one. In the end most of our projects will be somewhat ephemeral; we build them for ourselves and for our loved ones, so much of their value is in the process and the appreciation. If having it with her adds some joy to her life, then you've made the world a better place. Must really hurt to give it up, though. Thanks for letting us be part of the journey.

Thanks for the support on this abruptly ended journey everyone.  It was an interesting and fun learning experience in spite of what was going on in the background.

Eric:  It was a tough decision just because I wasn't done.  But actually, my sense of relief is immense.   Just another step in getting closure I think.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

My most recently completed model took over 20 years to build. Within it lie many memories, both good and bad. Mostly good, fortunately. I came to learn that the model is like a surrogate of my marriage: something that took much attention to detail to build; something to be very proud of; something that is very fragile and can easily be destroyed. I am hopeful that your model will remain with us so it can continue to serve as a testament to everything you have been through.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

No words... I hope your spark will come back to you soon enough, and something else (Belle Poule?) will bring a joy back! Too young and green to really feel your situation, but desperately trying to add a tiny bit to that massive community support. Hope to see you onboard again, soon!

Will miss it. 

And will anxiously await your next build log. 

Thanks for all your contributions. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Thanks gentlemen.

The Belle Poule log is started (in my signature below), rework of the drawings is mostly done.   I did a test cut for the false keel and tossed that result.  I'm cutting some wood but basically on hold until later this week when the plywood order gets delivered.  Once it's here, the laser gets a workout and the saw dust will really start flying.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Caught up with your now terminated build log Mark.  I am also very sorry to hear about your situation and wish you the strength to build a new life.

Yes, I am familiar with dementia, my mother. It is a scary condition.  Gwen and I have been discussing it quite a lot lately.  She at 78 years young is concerned about herself because of her now more occurring forgetfulness.  I am thus very busy doing research on it and what natural medicine we can use to help our brains from deteriorating.  Thankfully we both seem to be doing quite well now with supplementing our all organic way of life.

I will see you on your new build log, whenever I can.

Keep well,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)