Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Can't take a day off and you start a-new ... ;) Since all seats have been taken, I'll be the shadow standing at the back somewhere, trying to get a peak at the master's workmanship. Nice to see some saw- and sanddust flying again. I can almost smell it here ...

P.s. Glad to know Xmas has been moved to April

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Carl,

Good to see you back.. there's still seats available.  No point in standing as this is going slowly.   And thanks for the compliment even though I am a mere apprentice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Minor milestone... Half of the 42 full frames have been installed.  Spacers have been glued into place and gunports are rought cut.  Final position with sills will be done after the first pass at fairing before the half frames are installed.   I'm finding minor tolerance build up issues but nothing that's a show stopper.  Anyway, here's piccy's....

post-76-0-84815100-1402002921_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-13951800-1402002925_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Master work Mark

Assotiation in this stage

According to the ironborn legend,

Nagga was the first sea dragon,

able to feed on krakens and

leviathans and drown islands when

angry. The Grey King, helped by

the Drowned God, managed to slay

her on the shores of the island Old

Wyk and built there his hall out of

her bones. Her jaws became his

throne and her teeth made his

crown. He warmed his hall with

her living fire. However, when the

Grey King died, the Storm God

drowned out her fire and the sea

took the throne. Only her bones

that made the pillars and beams

remain.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks Nenad.  I liked that saga you told so I had to look it up.  Very interesting reading. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

excellent progress Mark..........very nice! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She´s coming out! Love to see that ribcage, Mark - As I build POB kits, I´m studying some POF projects for future building - Yours I´m following for reference ^_^ . Great work!

There's some really good work going on here Mark.

I am watching but from a distance and I like what I see mate.

Keep it up.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

She really is something.  Looks like a Cathedral!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mark

Given the stalls are full as is the dress circle and royal boxes I managed to find a seat back stage on a sea chest.

post-1403-0-59574200-1402012686_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Given Licorne's French antecedents will we be seeing different framing techniques?

All the best.

Alan

Ah yes, I can already see the graceful lines coming into view.  Looking great Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the nice comments and the likes.

She really is something.  Looks like a Cathedral!

A catherdral?  Hmm... now that you mention it... 

Mark

Given the stalls are full as is the dress circle and royal boxes I managed to find a seat back stage on a sea chest.

attachicon.gif2006ac5629_the_rio_during_artaxerxes.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Given Licorne's French antecedents will we be seeing different framing techniques?

All the best.

Alan

Hi Alan,

No on the framing techniques.   Hahn used English style cants and the frame and spaces are off.   But, since I'm fully planking, the framing will be hidden anyway.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

Looks great and you are motoring along nicely, I'm stalled on the bollard/hawse timbers at the moment.

Just a question but I notice in the pics that the frame heels are not all the way into their slots on the rising wood, is the keel there just for looks at the moment? No frames glued to anything yet?

Ben

Thanks for looking and commenting, Grant and Ben.

Ben,

The keel isn't glued on yet as I have to remove it to set the next frame.. and the next... and...  yeah... forever.  What it does do is give me the spacing at the keel and thus, helps to keep everything squared up.   Once all the full frames are in, I'll do some fairing of the hull and then carefully and properly (I hope) get the keel set into the frames.  I will also need to do some re-work of the rabbet and the taper into it for the planking.

You're stalled?  Ye of the checkerboard floor fame?  Maybe I should just abandon all hope for myself now....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The Frames and Backbone Look Great Mark, Beautiful job

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

STOP-STOP-STOP

Mark, big mistake, you held the plans upsidedown !

I hope you get the message in time to fix it still ;-)

Hoping the best, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

STOP-STOP-STOP

Mark, big mistake, you held the plans upsidedown !

I hope you get the message in time to fix it still ;-)

Hoping the best, Daniel

Not a mistake, Daniel.  I'm doing a capsized frigate that was caught in the Great Hurricane of 1780. :D  :D :D  :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good Mark, the shape of the hull is now beginning to reveal itself.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

you'll never beat Jonah.........he saw all the ribs of the whale!  :D  :D     she's looking good Mark!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Birthday Mark - hope you received lots of modelling goodies for presents. :)

Pen another birthday in the ship's log !  Congrats --- and may you have many happy returns!  :cheers:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956