Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Mark,

A Very Happy Birthday, to you! :)

Your Licorne is looking tremendous, great workmanship. Nice and steady does it. ;)

Btw, thanks for all you do for MSW.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

What a great date to have been born on Mark. I think we should all have a cookout and drink lots of beer and shoot off some fireworks in your honor.

God bless you and America.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

As I sing Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuu dogs whine, kids cry and glass breaks. :o

Good thing you can't hear it! ;)

Have a great Birthday Mark! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Many happy returns

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hey Mark, I thought I was the only one that they fire off fireworks on my Birthday. Mine on 3rd, yours on 4th....cool. Happy birthday Bro, I'll bend an elbow tonight in your honor!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. It's been good day, but no workshop time.   There's uh... issues.  Like I've broke 5 frames and need to make 5 new blanks and re-cut them.  So rather than be aggrevated, I'm just having a pleasant day and reading logs and hanging out on MSW is part of the pleasantness.   Oh.. did I mention, no birthday cake.   Homemade, deep-dish apple pie is cooling in the kitchen...

Happy Birthday Mark - hope you received lots of modelling goodies for presents. :)

No modeling goodies, Grant.  I'm not sure what else I can pack into my workshop.  Maybe some rigging spiders and planking elves?

Happy Birthday Mark, if it's a modelling day may you achieve a warm feeling of satisfaction from your efforts :)

B.E.

B.E., even in my grumbling about broken frames, there's a satisfaction. 

What a great date to have been born on Mark. I think we should all have a cookout and drink lots of beer and shoot off some fireworks in your honor.
God bless you and America.
Dave

Hang on Dave...  I think any excuse for BBQ, beer, fireworks, and apple pie should work.  Shouldn't it?  Don't wait me to get older.

As I sing Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuu dogs whine, kids cry and glass breaks. :o

Good thing you can't hear it! ;)

Have a great Birthday Mark! :)

So that's what happened???   I was wondering about the dog and the windows....   :D  :D :D  

Hey Mark, I thought I was the only one that they fire off fireworks on my Birthday. Mine on 3rd, yours on 4th....cool. Happy birthday Bro, I'll bend an elbow tonight in your honor!

John,  here ya' go back.  :cheers:

Happy Birthday Mark! Isn't it nice to have the whole country celebrate your Birthday?

And here all these years, I thought they were celebrating something else...  :)  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Birth day?  Did anybody say - - birthday??  Oh, its Marks birthday - - happy birthday Mark and many more - - - - - - - without broken ribs  ;)

Safe me some apple pie, okay?  And ice cream, vanilla please  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

There's still pie and ice cream left... whoopee!!!!   We didn't have to leave the house again this year as the stuff going off in the neighborhood was impressive... and noisy.. and need I add, messy.  Been picking up debris from the yard and roof this morning.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I went to a Family shin-dig  BBQ and fireworks ( at one point it sounded like there was a war going on ) some of my inlaws neighbors were blowing half sticks of T.N.T. That went on till 2am. It was a blast . All the Fireworks were amazing  it was a fun 4th

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

happy belated birthday Mark.......no boom booms in my camp......there was enough going on all around us, to scare the crap out of the dog! poor Gibbs.......I had him in the living room with me with the TV turned up.....thank goodness there was a walking dead marathon going on. been out of the loop.....but chomp'in at the bit to get back to the table. sad to hear that your having issues as well.......but you'll get the job done...I have no doubt! very nice work so far! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Minor milepost... all the full frames have been cut, installed and spacers added.  The five broken ones have been replaced along with slapping myself upside the head when I realized two of them could have been repaired.  post-76-0-01282000-1404951737.gif 

I've started "pre-fairing" in that I'll sand it pretty close to fair except for the frames at the end, get the keel and keelson notches flat and fair, and then tweek the keel's rabbet to account for the changes the garboard strake will have to follow.  I'm also sorting out the inboard side as far as fairing.  The end frames will be faired in once the keel and keelson are installed and the cant frames are done. 

And yes, it continues to be a fun ride. :)

post-76-0-44230600-1404951725_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work Mark - way to recover.  And happy birthday (belated)!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for likes and comments.

Ben,

Both ways work well.  I did my Triton cross-section right-side up.   And if I want to, I can flip this one over which I couldn't do on the Triton.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I am with everyone else Mark, She's looking Sweet

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Very nice Mark, more than a minor milestone  I think.  Happy sanding !

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Impressive, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks again for the comments and likes.

I guess I ought to explain what happened on the broken frames.  To make the gunport, the red area has to be removed.  Actually, slightly more that that.  The ports are currently 8mm wide and they need to be 9mm wide.  The frames are 3/16" (about 4.5mm) wide and approximately 1/8" (3mm) thick at the gunport area.  The markings on the frames are for the wales and the cutline.  All markings were done before the frame was installed. 

Hahn installs his frames and spacers and then cuts and removes the waste (red area).  How he removed that block, I have no idea.

What I did, was make the cuts at top and bottom.  Then apply alcohol to the port area, wrap in a soaked paper towel scraplet and then plastic wrap and let it sit.  The glue softens and also, so does the wood.  When I pulled the waste out, on 3 pieces, the frame broke in the area of the green arrow.   On two of them, it was in the area of the blue arrow, which I've since tested, could have been repaired.

post-76-0-62204300-1404966628_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: