Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Looking very nice Mark. Shame about the broken frames, but nicely recovered.

Hi Mark.

That is some really nice work on that framing as well as the repair work. It's always fun making more

frames once you thought you were done huh? ;)  I also like being able to use the framing jig upside

down and right side up. Did it a couple of times and thought it was great.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty and Grant. 

I'm firm believer in Murphy and "crap happens" so being prepared for re-do's and do-over's and repairs is part of the building process.

David and Sam,

Saw blades in abundance, I have.   My current favorite for this work is the one that X-acto makes that resembles a #11 blade with teeth on it.  Since the frames are laminated of two pieces (one forward, one aft) the glue line is the problem.  I'm not sure alcohol is the answer because it can weaken the joint above and below the cut.  I thought about filing out the waste area but that's time consuming, tedious, and I'm not sure I could get it exact or even close.

There's only 3 more gunports which are in the aft cant framing. So I'll muddle along using the current process.

I still will have to file/sand out the sides of each port a bit more.. but that's not bad.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

To cut out my ports I used a Razor Saw which I'd ground a section about 50mm long off the end until it was only a couple of millimetres wide. This lets me get into some really tight places :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Mark, if I recall correctly when you layed up the frames you turned the grain slightly, I can see where that would stop you from making a cut top and bottom then just "breaking" along the grain. Could you make lots of little saw cuts an nibble away with a small chisel? There is a name for the technique but its eluding me at the moment. That might help cut the parts out without breaking?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks Rusty and Grant. 

I'm firm believer in Murphy and "crap happens" so being prepared for re-do's and do-over's and repairs is part of the building process.

David and Sam,

Saw blades in abundance, I have.   My current favorite for this work is the one that X-acto makes that resembles a #11 blade with teeth on it.  Since the frames are laminated of two pieces (one forward, one aft) the glue line is the problem.  I'm not sure alcohol is the answer because it can weaken the joint above and below the cut.  I thought about filing out the waste area but that's time consuming, tedious, and I'm not sure I could get it exact or even close.

There's only 3 more gunports which are in the aft cant framing. So I'll muddle along using the current process.

I still will have to file/sand out the sides of each port a bit more.. but that's not bad.

hello Mtailor. 
I always thought Murphy lived very near my house. je je je

Thanks for looking in and commenting Danny, Sam, Cabrapente, David, and Sjors.

Murphy apparently took a few days off (thank heavens) as things went well. 

Sam, if I remember, I'll do a quick photo essay when I cut the next gunport which will be later in the week.

I got the hull (what there is of it so far) faired out close.  It will still need work but that will come after the cant frames which is the next project.   There's still some low spots and high spots but overall, pretty close.

I also reshaped/reworked the rabbet so the planking will set right.   It was tedious and had me sweating blood but worth every second of it.

The keel has glued on and sits square and level with everything. 

post-76-0-93819300-1405382500_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark....happens to the best. As for me (not even close to being among the best) re-doing my mistakes seems to have become a way of life lately.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger".....Friedrich Nietzsche....Must have been a very good modeler.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Very nice work Mark.  This is going to be a beauty :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

She is looking very good Mark, so now you ar ready to tackle the challenging frames.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mark,

A little at a time is working for you. Screw the sweat, in the long run it is lest re-work. Who cares how long it takes. Your doing an excellent job and learning and having a good time, isn't this suppose to be a hobby. Keep the pictures coming, and Thank you for sharing this with us.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

She's looking fantastic Mark!!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looking very nice Mark. Can't wait to see the cant frames in place.

been out of the loop for a bit.........sad to have heard that you were having trouble with the gun ports, but I see you have that well in hand now! she's looking really good.......time well spent, in my view! very nicely done ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Didn't get much done yesterday or today.  Yesterday had the heatpump and all the ducting in the house cleaned and serviced.  The temp hit 104 degrees F, and it was just too hot until the A/C finally got everything cooled down.

Today was rib day with homemade Jerk Sauce.  After marinating and slow cooking on the grille, I'm in heaven.   Ok.. so this doesn't turn into Facebook...

She is looking very good Mark, so now you ar ready to tackle the challenging frames.

Michael

Indeed, but I'm wimping out and doing the aft frames first.  They're not as challenging.  :)

Mark,

A little at a time is working for you. Screw the sweat, in the long run it is lest re-work. Who cares how long it takes. Your doing an excellent job and learning and having a good time, isn't this suppose to be a hobby. Keep the pictures coming, and Thank you for sharing this with us.

My thinking exactly, Joe.  I might sweat while doing it, but at the end of the day, it feels good.

Mark

Licorne is coming along nicely. Well done. The piece of ebony for the false keel will look terrific when finished. Will you be using ebony for the wales?

Alan

I'll be using ebony for the top rails, channel wale and the upper most piece of the main wales, Alan.  The mains blend into the planking.  So they aren't distinct. Here's a pic showing the cross section.  Ignore the arrow as the pic is from another discussion.

post-76-0-32666100-1405566093_thumb.jpg

Looking very nice Mark. Can't wait to see the cant frames in place.

I can't wait for the cants, either, Grant.  But I'm being cautious on this build.  I don't want to do a Ver 3.0.

been out of the loop for a bit.........sad to have heard that you were having trouble with the gun ports, but I see you have that well in hand now! she's looking really good.......time well spent, in my view! very nicely done ;)

It's just the materials and the size, Popeye.  I'm learning.... ever so slowly.. but still learning.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

She's looking good Mark , nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I mentioned above about how I cut gunports.   So here's how I do it.  I make no guarantees that it's the best way but it works for me. 

First up is a laminated frame blank (I'm using a half frame as the full frames are done).

post-76-0-01413300-1405652672_thumb.jpg

I then rubber cement the frame plan to it and carefully cut it out.

post-76-0-96990500-1405652677_thumb.jpg

I fit the frame into position and check all the reference points both against the plans and in situ using the EdT tool. After that, the reference points are etched using the scroll saw and the frame cuts are made with the saw pictured.

post-76-0-98864500-1405652680_thumb.jpg

I soak the joint in 91% isopropyl and wrap in a scarp of paper towel which is also soaked in the isopropyl.

post-76-0-40600400-1405652686_thumb.jpg

The joint is then wrapped in plastic wrap and secured at each end with clothes pins (pegs) so as not let the whole frame separate.

post-76-0-85773200-1405652690_thumb.jpg

After doing something else for about a half an hour, I grab the frame with pliers and piece to be removed with a pair of cutters.

post-76-0-88817400-1405652695_thumb.jpg

A slight pull and the piece comes out, usually cleanly. 

post-76-0-84726200-1405652700_thumb.jpg

At this point, the frame is glued into place, space blocks added between the newly installed frame and the existing frame, everything clamped and the glue allowed to cure.  After curing, I double check all reference points, just in case....

I hope this helps someone.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

i love being part of the MSW community again and catching up on everyone's logs again, mark this looks brilliant, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Very nifty Mark.  I made a not of it, just in case - - -  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Sam,

On Licorne, they are 1/2 the frame thickness.  Other ships... not going to vouch for them.  I have some other Hahn plans which when I dig them out of the dark recesses of my storage area, I'll check. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow Mark, Incredible workmanship . Thanks for showing how you did it  " Amazing "

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/