Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I have the gunports properly silled and sized (is silled a word?).  I've also hit her with another round of fairing and am almost comfortable with it but I'll hold off until the stern is built, checked, verified and approved as this was my Waterloo the last time.  Or maybe the wrong side of Trafalgar?   Hmm... 

Anyway, I've started measuring, scratching my head, and sorting out how I'm going to do this and get it right.  I'm thinking I'll have draw the transoms, make templates for starters.

post-76-0-00474300-1415071742_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Run of the gun ports looks pretty darned good.  I have to think that defining the transom is absolutely necessary to fair her properly.  Good luck here.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

Yep.. you're right.  Even though the framing provides the guidance for fairing, that last frame or two and the stern transoms define how the planks will lie.  The kicker is other than the lines drawings and framing diagram from dead aft, there are no transom drawings.  I'm expanding my knowledge on how to loft what I need for templates.  Should be interesting and hopefully a bit fun.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Is it just me or has it taken considerably less time to get to this point compared to v1?

A redux is so painful emotionally, but the practice it forces upon us is so worth it.

It may be hard seeing this going in to a restart, but thinking back to when you made the decision to restart and how hard it must have been. Isn't it amazing how right that decision feels now.

As I celebrate my 2nd year this month of my first build, I remember marveling at the Plank on Frame masterpieces of the old MSW v1 and never consider myself able to even wish of such, but 2 years and a lot of helpful, patient individuals have made a one time fantasy into a goal.

I find your work Inspiring Mark, but not just the Licorne build and her log, but rather everything you do by encouraging other builders. Your presence within the community of MSW is a bigger goal then a POF ship. Thank you for always raising the bar, while at the same time helping to teach and encourage others to reach their goals and clear their hurdles. I still think your a clone, that or a speed reader and typist. FLASH the super hero maybe.  :D

You have earned your RESPECT. 

So if you say so, silled is a word, ....  I think a verb, meaning to have constructed a sill :huh: 

Here's to your symmetrically silled Gun Ports  :pirate41:

Your Licorne is Brilliant Mark and so is her Captain

Keith,

Yes, it's taken less time as I do have more time (so far) to work on it.  And the second time around, I guess it should go faster, for me at least. First time, I was still learning much of the equipment and making a lot of dumb mistakes.  I still make the mistakes but have learned to fix them faster, I guess.  I guess starting over was an easy decision once I forced myself to be objective. 

As for the rest of your post, I'm :blush: .  Thank you for your kind words even though I don't see myself that way.  I just do what I can, when I can.  I've learned a lot and feel that paying it forward is reward in itself.  I think that many of us here feel the same way: sharing what we have learned.  I do think of myself as just a modeler who knows how to use Google and finds the topic of old ships fascinating.

You'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit outside.  Have some coffee and a cigarette and...  yeah.... take to heart what you have said and try to accept it. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

lovely work

i have just revisited your terminated log, you seam to be enjoying it much more this time around

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Always interesting to see your journey!

Good luck! DAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Cofee and cigarette ... allmighty helping tools

Great work, Mark

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark,

What a lovely build. I've spent the better part of the night reading through your build. It's a beautiful thing to watch wood come to life and tools given purpose. Another log for me to learn from ;)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Mighty fine looking progress there Mark. And what Keith said - I'll second that, with thanks. :)

Mark, let me "throw my nickel in the grass" (old fighter pilot expression) and add my appreciation for the work you are doing. I want to some day get to that level and I want to see excellent examples for my journey. And the other stuff; that's not so much. Your work is something I will follow closely, as the best of examples.

Just as a padawan follows a master to become a Jedi.

Thank you for showing us how to do it. :D

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for all the comments and likes, everyone.   Keeps me in focus and perspective.

Ken,

I consider myself a padawan also as I am looking to the masters for advice.  This is my first full ship scratch build. Ok.. second attempt.   But to steal Yoda's line:  Do or Do Not, There is no Try.   Well the first one I tried... this one, I'm doing.  I just hope it's right. :)  Perhaps one of our late masters should be quoted.  When asked where his build was headed, Roma answered:  "We shall see....".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

if were throwing around Jedi analogies...

Don't forget Obi Wan was a padawan, when Qiu-Gon and he found Anakin. Lines are sometimes blurred.

On your first attempt you say you tried, but you "did not" if you look only at the physical aspect of the build. What you did "DO" was to progress forward in your understanding by continuing to build, which is the important point. Its all within the internal emotional process. If the "try" that didn't work, allowed you to stop, then you would have "DONE NOT", but since you continue, you "DO".

This was Yoda's fear of Luke leaving, because few return, or finish the task once diverted.

So, I see absolutely no "DO NOT" just a continuation of "DO" as your still moving forward.

Failure only occurs when you stop trying.

May the Force be with You :P  :D   :dancetl6:

Thank you for all the comments and likes, everyone.   Keeps me in focus and perspective.

Ken,

I consider myself a padawan also as I am looking to the masters for advice.  This is my first full ship scratch build. Ok.. second attempt.   But to steal Yoda's line:  Do or Do Not, There is no Try.   Well the first one I tried... this one, I'm doing.  I just hope it's right. :)  Perhaps one of our late masters should be quoted.  When asked where his build was headed, Roma answered:  "We shall see....".

What a gentleman my friend...

And as every well built ship heads to sea, isn't the only guarantee,  "we shall see..." 

You my friend are not only a gentleman, but you are a JEDI ;)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

A redux is so painful emotionally, but the practice it forces upon us is so worth it.

I find your work Inspiring Mark, but not just the Licorne build and her log, but rather everything you do by encouraging other builders. Your presence within the community of MSW is a bigger goal then a POF ship. Thank you for always raising the bar, while at the same time helping to teach and encourage others to reach their goals and clear their hurdles. I still think your a clone, that or a speed reader and typist. FLASH the super hero maybe.  :D

You have earned your RESPECT. 

So if you say so, silled is a word, ....  I think a verb, meaning to have constructed a sill :huh:

Here's to your symmetrically silled Gun Ports  :pirate41:

Your Licorne is Brilliant Mark and so is her Captain

Very well said, Keith !!!

if were throwing around Jedi analogies...

Don't forget Obi Wan was a padawan, when Qiu-Gon and he found Anakin. Lines are sometimes blurred.

On your first attempt you say you tried, but you "did not" if you look only at the physical aspect of the build. What you did "DO" was to progress forward in your understanding by continuing to build, which is the important point. Its all within the internal emotional process. If the "try" that didn't work, allowed you to stop, then you would have "DONE NOT", but since you continue, you "DO".

This was Yoda's fear of Luke leaving, because few return, or finish the task once diverted.

So, I see absolutely no "DO NOT" just a continuation of "DO" as your still moving forward.

Failure only occurs when you stop trying.

May the Force be with You :P  :D   :dancetl6:

... and very well argued !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

A Jedi indeed. Looking good Mark.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Mark.. if you are a Padawan than I am a newt!! LOL.

You are much much more than a padawan my friend, that vessel is a work of art as it stands.

Amazing work, love watching it come together.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Obi-Mark (or is it Mark Gordon?)

Looks great to my eyes! I wouldn't look at V1.0 as a failure, more of a prototype working out the kinks. Even a Bentley needs a prototype before going into production.  :)

"Silled" is absolutly a word, I seen it their on paige 39 post 582. Ewe rote it!! Trust me, I am ege-a-mik-ated in the talking of the english!!! ;)

Keith mentioned maybe you are Flash Gordon himself or a reincarnation; now whenever I click on you name to see your stats I want to hear the opening to that Queen song Flash!! I can hear it now, "FLASH!!!! Ah!-aa-AH!

Ok, back to building, cant wait to see your transom work.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi Mark - 

Just catching up with your build.  Looking mighty nice.  Let me add my compliments to all the others.  V2 is coming along beautifully.  I took your last photo, enlarged it and flipped it over to really appreciate it.  The Hahn method may build the hull upside down, but I can see it better right side up.  Top quality work, my friend.

Will you be carving the details with your light saber?

Dan

Edited by shipmodel

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Mark also catching up yes I have to agree with Yoda regarding the "do"  "not do".  regardless how many times we work on a particular item or element of one we are doing.

Your model of Licorne is showing what a great job you are doing in transforming the raw materials of nature into a beautiful example of a ship that was built centuries before you began your work, which makes it even more challenging because you cannot nip down and take a look at the original to verify some detail.

One day in the future you will look back and reminisce about how you accomplished this or that part of the build as yo look at the completed work.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and comments.  I'm taking them in spirit they are given.

Hi Mark - 

Will you be carving the details with your light saber?

Dan

Hmm.....  <waves hand> See the carvings?  They are not the carvings you are looking for.  post-76-0-77598700-1415305281.gif   Well.. that didn't work so I guess I'll do them the old fashioned way with scalpels and a moto-tool. ;)

Hi Mark also catching up yes I have to agree with Yoda regarding the "do"  "not do".  regardless how many times we work on a particular item or element of one we are doing.

Your model of Licorne is showing what a great job you are doing in transforming the raw materials of nature into a beautiful example of a ship that was built centuries before you began your work, which makes it even more challenging because you cannot nip down and take a look at the original to verify some detail.

One day in the future you will look back and reminisce about how you accomplished this or that part of the build as yo look at the completed work.

Michael 

Michael,

I have that sense of turning raw materials into something already. I think you know that feeling also and it's a good feeling, whether it's wood or metal. 

Great advise Dan, why didn't I think of that :huh:

attachicon.gifpost-76-0-00474300-1415071742.jpg

WOW, even better! :dancetl6:

I do that for my personal use, Keith.  The camera sees things that my eyes don't.  The last time I posted one like that, someone said it looked "un-natural" to be right side up...  :D  :D  :D

mark

I like Keith's representation, like that you're nearly finished! ;)

Nearly finished????   I'm reminded once more of the old "Bored of the Rings" parody and the statement:  "5-10 is your height, 160 is your weight, you cash in your chips on page 88".   In this case, I'm thinking I'm at about page 2.  But it is a journey and every page will be an adventure.

Back to sorting out transoms and other things. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Let the force be with you, Mark

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

In my country is said : "Third time, God helps too"

But it seems that Mark will leave God in peace ;)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

A saying from our country.....,,

Alle goede dingen komen in drie.....( use Google Mark  :D  :D )

But you are doing it in two.... :D

Sjors

Indeed, I hope the force is with me, the spice continues to flow, and I don't have bother God.   We shall see.... ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: