Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

As the saying goes fat, happy, and sassy.  Thanksgiving to me is not about the food but about family getting together and giving thanks for what god has given them.  I did not have to travel to my sisters this time so I was able to enjoy myself and not get tired.  It was great to see relatives again especially when they are scattered across the country.  I lost 40lbs sinceJan. so I became a glutton for turkey and ham.  My brother in law does a great smoked turkey.  One bite and you are hooked.  I am paying for it at the moment.

David B 

Edited by dgbot

Mark,

Whilst you were singing did you get to play with the pencils on the "Group W" bench? ;)

Not to forget  - nice work on the ship. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Mark,

Whilst you were singing did you get to play with the pencils on the "Group W" bench? ;)

Not to forget  - nice work on the ship. :)

I want to see the "27 eight by ten colour glossy photographs with the circles and arrows explaining what each one was" ! ;)

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

As for the song... 

1) Nope, I didn't get to play with the pencils.  No bench and no pencils around.

2) No pictures, Grant, unless you have a seeing eye dog. 

Back to sorting out the stern.... and trying not to pull my hair out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You probably have some hair to pull .. I don't .... I heard it helps ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I've often heard that that it's not about the destination but the journey that's important.  I agree but this journey is currently being measured in inches and not miles.  :)

I added the timbers the taffrail will sit on and worked up and installed the two outer timbers for the counter. The whole stern area was then rough faired.  Final fairing will be just before planking. 

The taffrail timber needs to be shaped after cutting loose the stern (the red curved line).  I still have a lot of shaping to that curve and most can be done while it's in frame and on the build board but I need to set up the rest of the stern framing.   This will be filling in the area between the final cant frame and the stern frames with framing for mounting the quarter galleries and the hatchway from the Great Cabin.   I'm have some ideas on how to do this as this another area that Hahn is a little vague on how to do.

Anyway enough out of me, here's the photos.   Feel free to click on and enlarge them to see everything in horrible detail. :)  

post-76-0-52440800-1417907297_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-78301100-1417907303_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahoy Mark :D 

REALLY "horrible detail"  . 

I see lots of detail, none of it however fits that description 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Curve is going to turn out just fine.  Very nice.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

looking super Mark!  I too agree that the curve should clean up quite nicely  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking real good my friend!

mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Horrible Detail? PFFFFT!!!  That will be enough of that!

Curve looks just fine!!  Nicely done!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Ahoy Mark :D

REALLY "horrible detail"  . 

I see lots of detail, none of it however fits that description 

I saw it.. fixed it. The macro has it's advantages sometimes. 

Stop selling yourself short, Mark.  She's looking first class.

John

Thanks John.  I think I needed that kick in the pants.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, you are doing some very tricky woodwork there with lots of angles and curves, you are doing a fine job so don't be hard on yourself.

It is looking great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

All of the above and more besides Mark.

All I see is some wonderful workmanship. So Master Shipwright, lets have some more please.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you for the "likes" and comments.  

So far, nothing I thought was "horrible' was.  Easily fixable once I got over the shock of seeing it blown up.

This is part that Hahn gives minimal help by "leaving it up the modeler to fit and finish".   Last time, his recommended method didn't work for me.  It involved running the deck clamp to the stern frames and then tying in a couple of vertical stringers.  It just didn't look right nor was my craftsmanship good enough to get it consistant and proper.   So here's the plan:

post-76-0-31220400-1417935416_thumb.jpg

Inside the red area is where I'll be focused next.  I'm now going to cut a piece of 1/8" thick cherry to shape, thin it down to the thickness of the frame forward and taper to half thickness where it ties into the stern frame.  It's pretty much a straight line according to the plans from above.. I'll finesse it in and then cut the doorway before mounting it.   The top of the piece (green) is the cut line for when the ship is removed from the buildboard so that's the upper limit.  It needs to be deep enough to catch the deck clamp as I'll need to add a beam on the gun deck as well as the clamp near the top for the quarterdeck.  It should be a lot sturdier for planking the inside and the outside and strengthen that stern framing some.

The doing should be a lot simpler than the describing.  We shall see what we shall see on the 'morrow after I fair the inside of the stern timbers. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

a beautiful build, nice hull lines and fine framing work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Mark - 

Good looking progress.  Your plan for the next step sounds right and should give you a stern that is accurate, true, and strong.  

I do wonder about the shape of the doorway to the quarter gallery.  In your drawing it looks much too angled, although this might be an artifact of the angles of the plan.  As a doorway it should be pretty much a rectangle with sides that are perpendicular to the waterline so they will be vertical when the ship is at rest.  

Of course, this is a very small nit and probably will not be visible in the completed model. 

Looking forward to seeing your continued excellent progress.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan makes an interesting point.  The door seems to be at the kind of angle we're used to seeing on quarter gallery lights.  At this point I'm not sure what would be considered correct.  The plans seem pretty clear.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Your build is coming on great Mark B)

Your plan regarding the stern should work OK,I would just leave a little 'meat' both sides for fairing.I have done similar on a few builds and built the stern up from 'fresh air' so to speak.I will be doing it again on Mordaunt as the kit lines end short of the original :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Mark,

That hiney really looks horrendous! I'm glad you're the only one who thinks so.

It seems Hahn's plans leave somewhat to be desired ... with his "modeler's fittings and finishes" So far you've made some good fits (and finishings)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice *** Mark ;) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

LOL! :D :D :D  See?  While I was resisting the urge, Danny jumped right in there! :D :D

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I see what you mean. Had to read it a couple of times haha. I'm sure that your method will work out fine. Problem solved. The build looks great so far. I checked in on this build way back when the first frames were being built. Looks real good.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Hi Mark - 

Good looking progress.  Your plan for the next step sounds right and should give you a stern that is accurate, true, and strong.  

I do wonder about the shape of the doorway to the quarter gallery.  In your drawing it looks much too angled, although this might be an artifact of the angles of the plan.  As a doorway it should be pretty much a rectangle with sides that are perpendicular to the waterline so they will be vertical when the ship is at rest.  

Of course, this is a very small nit and probably will not be visible in the completed model. 

Looking forward to seeing your continued excellent progress.

Dan

Dan makes an interesting point.  The door seems to be at the kind of angle we're used to seeing on quarter gallery lights.  At this point I'm not sure what would be considered correct.  The plans seem pretty clear.

Dan and Augie,

I think the doorway is canted like that due to the sheer of the deck.   There was a discussion of the Great Cabin in English ships recently that showed doorways the same way.   I am taking a hard look at the Belle Poule plans to see how her's were handled.  To my eye, there's just not that much sheer to compensate for.

Your build is coming on great Mark B)

Your plan regarding the stern should work OK,I would just leave a little 'meat' both sides for fairing.I have done similar on a few builds and built the stern up from 'fresh air' so to speak.I will be doing it again on Mordaunt as the kit lines end short of the original :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, but that's already accounted for in the wood I'm using.  :)

Nice *** Mark ;) .

:cheers:  Danny

post-76-0-30218800-1418010602.gif  Thanks Danny.  I needed that.. and also a new keyboard.  :cheers:

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Already got one........just christened it  :D  :D     {I knew you'd have this figured out}  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch