Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I think I bagged it....   Fiddly work at best.  I made some templates, changed them, cut some wood, fed the scrap box  Then I got what I wanted.   Since this is hidden by quarter galleries, I'll fair it in and tweak as needed before planking. The interior will need minimal as some is hidden by the clamps, deck beams and deck.   The interior will get planked and probably some trim around the doorways with some nice doors. 

It would appear that the French played the "misdirection" game as well as the Brits.  On the Brits Roebuck class, there's two rows of stern windows so that when seen by ship coming from astern it would appear bigger than it is.   On Licorne,  the top of the stern windows are also the beam for the quarterdeck.  From inside, the bottom of the lights are about chest high.  It gives the appearance when coming astern that the ship is taller than she really is and from a distance it could be mistaken for an 18 pdr frigate (my conjuncture).  I think the galleries were designed with the same "look" in mind.

Here's some more pics of her rear, and I'm off to the next bit which will either be setting up the deadlights or shaping the taffrail.. 

post-76-0-86717900-1418179384_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-65450100-1418179389_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She's coming along nicely Mark; you'll have the quarter galleries on before you know it ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat.  The galleries will come after planking which still a ways off yet. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Omega.   Not a promotion as such.  I stepped down.  I've was a moderator for too many years and needed to have more time to myself.   BTW, "Special Contributor" is the title given to all former moderators now, even though we're just members. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahh.  Now I understand!   But, "...we're just members" doesn't cut it.

I can imagine it can be thankless task sometimes.  Thanks for all the hard work that you and the other Mods put into making this a great website!

Have a great Xmas!

Edited by Omega1234

I was a mod on a forum several years ago.  i had to go through several messages before they were posted.  This was before and after work.  It was time consuming and had to be done everyday.  I had little time to myself.  My hat goes off to the mods on this sight they are the unsung heros of this forum.  A lot of patience and taking time away from their favorite builds.

David B

looks like a fine solution Mark.......a bit more shaping,  and it will fit in there nicely.  definitely will make the stern stronger  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A bit more shaping...   You're right Popeye.  But not much and mostly inside. Alternately, I can plank the ceiling such that there's a wood trim strip (I'm using Belle Poule's plans as reference) so that it won't be that noticeable.  Plus, being inside, it'll mostly be hidden.   Funny, I just figured it out... Hahn didn't plank the whole Great Cabin.  The transom/stern area is left "raw".   I'll take some shortcuts but only on the lower decks much the way I planned it on Version 1.0 but not in the Great Cabin or the rest of the gundeck.

Anyway... back to contemplation on the next step. I find I'm having more success by visualizing what needs to be done before I do it.  One of the next areas is where the sternpost and rudder come up through the counter.  I need to put in some support for to terminating the counter planks.  Also, on another topic, there's a discussion about tapering the wales to fit the rabbet.  I need to sort out if the French did that.  Research, contemplation, more research and maybe the smell of sawdust soon.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Deadlights.

After staring and thinking... I decided deadlights next.  Not the frames yet but the black background part.   Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to use ebony since I love the look of this wood.  Which begat more contemplation because that stuff is a bit hard to work with.  I think I found an adequate solution.

Being fond of quick prototyping in many areas, I made up some deadlights from basswood.  Gave it some thought and decided to make some ebony veneer.  I tried to rip some down to 1/64" (.35mm)....by 1" (25mm) with the thin side coming off the 1" thick billet.  Don't try it.   I got it down to 1/32" (.7mm) before things starting exploding across the shop.  Might have something to do with the blade but I wasn't going to kill a new Thurston blade on an experiment.    Anyway... now I have to clean up fragments everywhere.    I was using the table saw for this.

I took the 1/32" inch thick piece that survived and ran it through the thickness sander to get it where I wanted it, glued the prototype deadlights to it and cut them out with the scroll saw.  A bit of sanding and they fit about right.  The pics show a gap but that will be covered by the window framing.  Did I mention I hate macros... :)  To the naked eye (or even with glasses on) it looks pretty good. I don't feel anything out of place running my fingers around everything, so that's good also.  

I'll re-fillet the glue joints on the framing and cut them down to shape.  Also need to get the middle area of the counter fixed up with some wood for the landing of the counter plank ends at the rudder and stern post.  

First pic of the basswood and veneer laminated together for the deadlights.  Second one is the installation and..hmm... wet glue.  :blush:    What the hey.. I'm having fun it's turning out well in my opinion.  I past the point where Version 1.0 met it's end (the stern area) so I'll be carrying on.

post-76-0-53646900-1418438833_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-64348800-1418438839_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahoy Mark :D

I don't know. It looks like there are some planck length deviations right there where up quark meets the charm. Best to redo the whole thing. Better safe then sorry 

"LOL"

She looks great mate. 

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Ahoy Mark :D

I don't know. It looks like there are some planck length deviations right there where up quark meets the charm. Best to redo the whole thing. Better safe then sorry 

"LOL"

She looks great mate. 

Which quarks?  The up, down, or strange?   I've ordered some fresh Higg's Bosons so well see what happens. :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hit a big milestone...  framing is complete and ready for planking.  Well, one minor tweak to the transoms to get smooth run to the counter but that's not going to be a stopper.

Right now, I'm having second thoughts about the bulk of the planking in Swiss Pear and am considering cherry.   I'll ponder a bit more.....

post-76-0-35617600-1419044021_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looks like the makings of a mighty fine ship Mark. Can't wait to see it sheathed in planking.  B)

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and yours

post-12186-0-52231100-1419045508.gif

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mark - 

Really sweet work on the framing.  Looks even better enlarged and flipped right side up.  Smooth, fair and symmetrical.  Not much more you can ask of a set of ribs.

Cherry will work well for planking.  I have used it many times.  However, I have run into some problems occasionally:  Some pieces seem to have been over-dried and are brittle.  They splinter rather than cutting cleanly.  Make sure your blades are sharp.  Also, the color can vary substantially under the final finish even when the unfinished pieces look quite similar.   If you will be coppering the lower hull consider using a less expensive, more user friendly wood there.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

She's something to take pride in right now.  Planking should be spectacular.  Can't wait to see which wood you choose.

Impressive, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the comments and the "likes"...

Dan,

I've noticed that with cherry about inconsistent and that's part of what is the conundrum and decision process. I'm not coppering so I'm just musing as I've discovered some planking challenges that need addressing.   One of which is that at the wales, the planks are 1 foot (real or 3/16" scaled) and after 10 strakes they change to 9" (real or 1/8" scaled).  The planking then goes back to the larger for the garboard strake.  Should be an interesting trip down that road.   Right now I'm checking my wood supply and figuring out if I have enough of either one.   I'll order more no matter which way I go.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The only thing that could possibly improve a set of ribs like that ... is a really good bourbon basting sauce !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Congratulations on reaching a major milestone Mark. She looks great and I can't wait to see the planking started. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself - and rightly so too, especially after the brave decision to start over when Ver 1.0 wasn't going to plan.

The only thing that could possibly improve a set of ribs like that ... is a really good bourbon basting sauce !!

:cheers:

I think these ribs would be a bit on the tough side. :D

Congratulations on reaching a major milestone Mark. She looks great and I can't wait to see the planking started. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself - and rightly so too, especially after the brave decision to start over when Ver 1.0 wasn't going to plan.

I'm feeling a 1000% better about this version.

IIRC Mark, you were just starting the framing when I stopped by in May. My compliments on a superb job!

Harvey

Thanks Harvey.  Yep, I started the framing in mid-April.  Moving right along, I am. :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

mighty sweet looking frame Mark ;)   can you still get planking from Jeff?  are you planking her from the bottom up.......and does this mean she'll be leaving the jig?  congratz Mark.....this is quite a milestone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic work, shame you have to hide it with planking. As for the wood to use Cherry will look good and provide a contrast to the frames.

David B

A big milestone indeed - rack the champers and have several with Christmas dinner mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Mark,

I know what you are doing and what you have to do !!!

How about that  :P  :P

Frames looks perfect minus a few tweaks.....

And then planking.

New year starts great for you  :D  :D  :D

Sjors