mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

LOL!  :P  Saves wear and tear on those cutting teeth though eh?  :D  I like your home-made feather-boards. Did Jim tool up the miter track adapter for you?

Hope everybody has a Happy Holiday post-12186-0-45714900-1419225036.gif

Cheers  :cheers:

LOL!  :P  Saves wear and tear on those cutting teeth though eh?  :D  I like your home-made feather-boards. Did Jim tool up the miter track adapter for you?

Hope everybody has a Happy Holiday post-12186-0-45714900-1419225036.gif

George,

I don't have a Jim Saw...those are from MicroMark as I have their saw.   Hmm.. I'm wondering if it would save the cost of blades to run them backwards?   :D  :D :D  

Nah, you would neither save on blades nor on wood. The blades would wear faster as the hardened teeth would be last to touch wood, and the wood would be unusable due to the ugly grooves and most probably a wobbly cutting stroke ...

Thank you for the "likes" and comments even when I've done a bone-headed stunt like that.  It keeps me honest and on my toes.

Very interesting solution for keeping your fingers away from the blade.

Did you made this by yoursel?

Christian,

The modified fence idea came from Grant and Danny and fences are just a bit of creative usage.   So.. no... I stole all the ideas.

1/32" planking...yowza!!  Mighty thin...not much there for sanding.  Where will those planks go?

Chuck,

They go from the main wales up and there's one wide one for the garboard strake.   Hopefully, I won't need a lot of sanding.  I'll recheck the fairing after I'm done cutting as I've found one small area that needs a tweak in the fairing. 

I hope everyone has a great Holiday and in the meantime, I'll keep thicknessing and cutting for now.

Thank you for the "likes" and comments even when I've done a bone-headed stunt like that.  It keeps me honest and on my toes.

Christian,

The modified fence idea came from Grant and Danny and fences are just a bit of creative usage.   So.. no... I stole all the ideas.

No problem, I think I will make another ripp-off ;)

Errors or not Mark, that's still a nice build and informative log.

Best wishes for s a safe and happy festive season.

cheers

Pat

Hi Mark,

Just catching up with my favorite builds, it seems I have a lot of catching up to do ;)

Wow! Licorned is looking superb Sir, that is one mighty fine ship, lovely lines and lovely looking stern! :D

So who would have thought that for the last two days I've been running around in a short-sleeved shirt outside.  It's been almost 70 degrees F.   Now it's more normal, raining and In the 40's.  Which means, the sawpits have been busy. 

Christian, use whatever is useful to you. 

Pat, thank you for the nice comment.

Aldo.. I've missed seeing you around.  I hope you're doing better. And thanks for the nice comment.

George and everyone else, may Christmas be filled with love and warmth and the new year with good things and good times.

First bit of planking is done with Swiss Pear.   Just the counter so far.  I've hung the stern post and rudder blank for position and to make sure I made the hole right.

There will be a bit of ebony trim over the exposed yellowheart after the rest of the planking goes one.  And "above" the counter and below the lights I'll be putting in the shaped trim strip after the rest of the stern has been planked.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

post-76-0-11823000-1419811642_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-90810200-1419811647_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-23843500-1419811653_thumb.jpg

That swiss pear makes for some nice planking Mark.  ;) Will you be using the pear for all of it? Hope you and yours have a safe and Happy New Year!  :)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Yes, Iove the pear.  Very easy to work with and leaves a crisp edge.  And the color is a added treat.

George,

Go back to post 738.  I list the woods and where they'll be used.    But the short answer is: yes.  Swiss Pear for the exterior planking.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that post.  :rolleyes: Must've been a senior moment.  :P Yup! Good choices for color contrast. She's going to be a beautiful lady.

Seventy degrees Fahrenheit. I don't knowhow much this in °C is, but I think it's very hot. :)

In Germany we have around 0°C. Best weather for working on my model drawings.

Have you thought of using different colord timbers for framing and planking the model? Or do you like to paint your model later?

Dreadful wood, that Pear.  :P

Just thought I'd be different, Mark - it really is a lovely colour, isn't it?

John

Dreadful indeed,  John.  :)

Seventy degrees Fahrenheit. I don't knowhow much this in °C is, but I think it's very hot. :)

In Germany we have around 0°C. Best weather for working on my model drawings.

Have you thought of using different colord timbers for framing and planking the model? Or do you like to paint your model later?

That would be about 21 degrees C, Christian.

Well.. the framing is cherry but it's going to be hidden.  The keel and stem are boxwood.  Everything else will use what was described in post 738.   Paint?  Nope... not here.