Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Yes, Iove the pear.  Very easy to work with and leaves a crisp edge.  And the color is a added treat.

George,

Go back to post 738.  I list the woods and where they'll be used.    But the short answer is: yes.  Swiss Pear for the exterior planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh yeah! Forgot about that post.  :rolleyes: Must've been a senior moment.  :P Yup! Good choices for color contrast. She's going to be a beautiful lady.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Seventy degrees Fahrenheit. I don't knowhow much this in °C is, but I think it's very hot. :)

In Germany we have around 0°C. Best weather for working on my model drawings.

Have you thought of using different colord timbers for framing and planking the model? Or do you like to paint your model later?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Dreadful wood, that Pear.  :P

Just thought I'd be different, Mark - it really is a lovely colour, isn't it?

John

Dreadful indeed,  John.  :)

Seventy degrees Fahrenheit. I don't knowhow much this in °C is, but I think it's very hot. :)

In Germany we have around 0°C. Best weather for working on my model drawings.

Have you thought of using different colord timbers for framing and planking the model? Or do you like to paint your model later?

That would be about 21 degrees C, Christian.

Well.. the framing is cherry but it's going to be hidden.  The keel and stem are boxwood.  Everything else will use what was described in post 738.   Paint?  Nope... not here. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very sweet

All the best !!!

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark, the counter planking looks great. I'm going to have to try some of that swiss pear.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Lovely planking work Mark, that pear sure is a real eye candy, I can't wait to see her all planked up in pear B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Looking good Mark. Gotta agree about the Swiss Pear. I'm using it for the frames in my cross-section build and its a real joy to work with.

looking really sweet Mark!  the added pictures confirm,  that she's gonna look great in her new skin  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Finally I know what you have done Mark !!!!!  :D  :D  :D

Looking great that counter.

And I have to agree, that pear is great !

You give it a layer of stain at the end or do you keeping it this way ???

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Nice to see the planking take shape Mark using the different woods for the colour contrasts is a great way to go.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Just quick non-update.    I'm still making planks and figuring out the planking and realized I had forgot to put in the feed-through sheaves in the side.  :blush:  So naturally, I had dig out the Belle Poule plans and figure out how many and what size... then the ropewalk came... what size sheaves for the rigging.   :huh:  Which meant, what size rigging lines. :o  Since the monograph for Belle Poule is in French with the English version due out last month, I'm translating the pages covering the plans (some things just aren't clear to me still).  I don't speak French but Google Translate does.   :Whew:

So, everything is on hold because of a senior moment.  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It's amazing sometimes, just how much advance-planning is actually involved. Sort of like chess, needing to plan 3 moves ahead. As far as senior moments go, I have 'em all the time, but I choose to call 'em "temporary moments of re-clarification" to any on-lookers. Confuses the heck out of them.  :D  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:      P.S.---That double-post problem is in my mouse. It's like me----getting old.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

George,

I'm glad you got the double posting sorted out.   The one thing I've found about modeling these old ships has the same effect I found in engineering:  "Every answer begats two more questions.".    I guess I'll never get it all sorted out with that kind of progression.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

At least with "senior's moments" re-dos look like a new experience every time! :P :P :P

Edited by gjdale

Just think how many new experiences Grants had mate, you may consider yourself to be most fortunate your not in that league just yet. :D  :P  :P

Mind you I'm catching up pretty quickly. :(

Love what your doing with your planking mate. :)  :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some proof of life:

post-76-0-46994800-1421342620_thumb.jpg

In the plastic bin... ebony and swiss pear for the main wales.  Ebony for the chain wailes and stern planking.  I'm going to laminate pear and ebony for the top strak of the main wales.

Next to the right, is the swiss pear for the rest of the wales (10 stakes) then swiss pear for the bulk of the hull planking, then there's the planking for above the wales and the upper works.

The strips on the bottom are for the garboard stakes and some spares for a bit of spiling.

The planking is made from pre-made strips and also from billets as not all the pre-made stuff was usable.

The planking pile doesn't look so intimidating now. :)

I'm going to make about dozen so more planking clamps today. 

Anyway, that's the plan.  But we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work, Mark ---- and a great selection of woods.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice looking wood Mark.  I'll have any leftovers ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you for the comments and likes.

I found some time to make about a dozen more plank clamps from wooden clothes pins (pegs to those who prefer the mother language).  I lined the ends with some sandpaper after changing the design slightly.  I have planks in the water and planking starts tomorrow.   post-76-0-05440900-1421382403.gif

There's a few places I need to touch with sandpaper and also re-do some reference lines that seem to have disappeared...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey nice going Mark!

Can I give my wood strip order now or later!!!????

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

So Pat will have to stop by my place to pick up the leftovers and Mario wants to place an order....  Hmm.... when would I build?  And here all along, I thought I retired so I wouldn't have to work.. what could I have been thinking? :)

Pat, I'm not sure there will be leftovers.  I always find I short myself when I do this....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

think of it as a  'labor of love' ........it won't sting so bad  ;)   your almost there Mark......laminating wood....hmmmm.  sounds like a neat idea  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I didn't hear anyone offer to pay for wood, and If you're not getting paid, is it really work?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray