Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Looking spectacular, mate.  Within 2 scale inches ---  impressive!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for all the comments and the "likes".  

Good to see you 'at it' again. Janet will love that fine powdery black dust you are going to make ;) Even small updates may require a lot of preparation and work ... looking good Mark

The dust isn't a problem at this point, Carl.   I sand for a bit (5 minutes or so) and vacuum up the work bench.  The advantage for me is it gets the dust out of the ship   She is bugging me about making a small ebony jewelry box.  I suppose I need to design one and start building....

She's looking really sweet Mark.

Just one question mate, Ebony is not an easy material to work with, how did you find bending it around the bow.?

I like the use of this wood but have only used it once and that was just a straight strip, I do however have to use a bit later in my build. Gonna be fun me thinks.

Be Good

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

I use a good soaking and lots of heat and patience.  I soak the wood for at least 6 hours and then use a curling iron on the highest setting.  Work a small area at a time to start and then slowly increase the heated area.   It may take several tries to get the bend right.  Also, if you bend too fast, the wood will splinter.  I've probably tossed as much ebony in the scrap box as I've used from trying to bend it too quick.   Ok.. not really true.  I cut of the damaged area and save the smaller pieces. 

The only other thing I can say about ebony is keep cleaning everything.   I have a sanding roll for the thicknesser that is only used on ebony, same for table saw blades.  I do clean the blades with acetone after I'm done cutting along with the saw table.  And I keep everything waxed.  The oil is black and does stain the metal but acetone cleans it right up.  Usual cautions about using acetone apply.  My shop vac also gets a workout several times in a work session.

For all the aggrevation... ebony does look great.

Back to sanding the starboard side bow area and getting things ready for the next several steps....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The dust isn't a problem at this point, Carl.   I sand for a bit (5 minutes or so) and vacuum up the work bench.  The advantage for me is it gets the dust out of the ship   She is bugging me about making a small ebony jewelry box.  I suppose I need to design one and start building....

Anything to keep the admiral happy!!! Maybe an octagonal form might take her fancy, and give you another challenge ...  some ivory-ish inlay work ... some carving ... I can see you do it !

I admire your perseverance with the ebony. All the measures you take to keep your tools in shape, and you workspace, and model 'spic and span' ...recommendable at least!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

Cleanliness is self-defense.  I use the bedroom next to the master bedroom.  If saw or sanding dust becomes a problem, I'll probably be moved to the garage...  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I saw and sand in the garage, and have taken posession of the dinner table whilst the Admiral can't eat at it ... :) else I have to move to one of my desks, which at present are rather completely cluttered ... The cannon I'm working on now isn't very big (5"). Currently waiting for solder utilities. Besides ... the garage is somewhat 'loaded' if not 'over loaded' ... so many things still to do ...

Carl

the garage is somewhat 'loaded' if not 'over loaded' ...

Carl, you have one of "those" garages too ! :D   My car hasn't seen the inside of the garage in over 5 years, maybe even 10 years. :( :( 

If saw or sanding dust becomes a problem, I'll probably be moved to the garage...

I would work on that.... The car would have to live outside of course,  quiet, out of the way place, etc, etc.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'll do my best to stay where I am.  Garage.. dark (needs more lights), no heat or air conditioning, no enough power outlets and my Admiral would be really aggravated if she called me for help and I didn't hear her.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I work in our sunroom.  I pretty much took it over with worktables and tools.  It directly access the house so I need to be careful about saw dust. The power tools I buy all have vacuum dust ports which, on the whole, work pretty well.  I keep a shop vac with a car kit attachment and wireless starter at my work table.  When cutting or sanding, I run the vac every few minutes. The long stem and brush attachment from the car kit make it perfect for small jobs. While it does a pretty good job of cleaning, it is not powerful enough or big enough to suck up small tools, clamps, etc. Also, it makes working the pieces easier because they are clear of debris.

Richard.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I carry my cell phone with me into the garage.  When the Admiral need me she gives me a call.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

That's what we call 'a mobile unit' Bob. I'd rather be near at hand by the admiral ... I like a face to face communication, else there is always some form of static ... besides, a surprise visit from the admiral to the workshop can be very stimulating ... ;)

Carl

I agree with Carl, Bob.  Besides for the last 20 years of my career, I carried the "electronic leash" and hated it.  I still have it and use it when I go shopping or work in the yard, but that's it.  It sits on top my desk the rest of the time.

Matti,

Thanks for the comment.  I'm not having a problem with planking over the frames.  I'm having a problem right now finding time to plank.  Weather got nice and the yard work beckoned like broadside from the 74.    :D  :D

Sam,

I had an Admiral like that once... once... and one time only.  ;)

Richard,

Good on you and vacuum.  My previous vac was 2.5 HP but this one will suck the paint off the walls if I let it.  Which for keeping the shop clean is worth any aggravation.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sam,

The key question is: 'Is she still your Admiral ...???' I know Mark enjoys the love of his life to the fullest, and I for one cannot imagine them having any static, even towards his planking, and sanding of this beauty of a build of his.

Mark,

I would suggest a mixing of the two. Some yard work, followed by some planking ... it won't go fast, though it will move for'ard ... besides, as a good Dutch saying goes: You'll combine the usefull with the pleasurable. ... Another option is to let the yard go crazy ... ;)  not an option I presume... :huh: ??

Carl

my tables are in the computer room.......the admiral has her desk in the corner.....and I pretty much have the rest of the room.  she is disabled with back and shoulder problems,  but she is not confined {I try like hell to keep her that way}.   I would like to have a separate room,  and keep the dust away from the electronics,  but she won't have any of it.......says she won't see me as much.   this is most likely true,  with the way I model,  but I like it as well.  I have someone to talk to,  and bounce my ideas off of.   as for the dust.......it the really fine stuff......I do the major sanding out on the porch.  yesterday,  for fun,  I wrote 'Popeye' on the monitor shelf on my desk........still waiting fro her to notice.   yea....I know.....time for the total cleaning of my desk  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, you are happy man, my Admiral see and clean dust BEFORE it appear !!!!!!

i joke her that she is "self-moving dust cleaning clothe" when she overhit with that. Fortunately she do not enter and clean in my working cave

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

she used to threaten me with the messy tables.........but she has come to the fact that it's the method of my madness  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark, staticey admirals are definitely a situation of Once is WAY Too Much. And absolutely outsource the work, there is too much building and reading to be done.

Carl there are reasons why she is my ex, that's just one of them.

Popeye, maybe you should get one of those inflatable likenesses of your bulging forearmed nautical self and place it by her work space while in your new work room. You could even put one of those pull strings on it with some of her favorite quotes from you. Hmm that gives me an idea on how to get out of the bi-monthly house cleaning, IE; "Domestic Bliss" Think it would work?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Ah.. update sooner than I thought.  Got the anchor planking done on the starboard side.  I've ripped off the wales and redid them.  Have one small area I'm not thrilled with in the pearwood part.  But I think I can fix that with some more sanding.  I'll sort it out when I go to plank that area.   Next in line is to continue up the rail (cutline).  I won't be cutting her free though for quite a while as like the security of the jig. 

post-76-0-42453900-1429494898_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-28235900-1429494910_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: