Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Looking really neat and sharp, Mark.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

This is what I was waiting for (gulp) I'm drooling (gulp) looking at your marvelous build ... Although it is the prerogative of the builder to be not satisfied with his build, I cannot see anything wrong with it ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That framing shows beautiful lines Mark

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

she's looking great Mark......I think it's a great idea to leave open slots for the chain plates.   it will give them a very good anchor point ;)    I fail to see a problem either,  but I'm sure you'll be able to change it to your liking........super scratch build  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

With lines like that she's a lovely lady.  That's for sure.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Very nice Mark but only one thing.....

You are asking for something when you take a look at the second picture and the trashcan is prominent in sight !  :P  :P

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Hey Looks Great Mark,

Coming along nicely.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

well......hello Mario!  :piratebo5:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you for the comments and the "likes".

This is what I was waiting for (gulp) I'm drooling (gulp) looking at your marvelous build ... Although it is the prerogative of the builder to be not satisfied with his build, I cannot see anything wrong with it ...

It was a minor point, Carl.. a fiddly place in the curve.  A bit of sandpaper took care of it.    I did rip off the channel wales and have put them back on (properly) this time.  I guess I'm being too,,, hmm..  focused... yeah... focused.  The planking on the outside of the bulwarks is moving forward.

Mark,

Crisp and clean like always. I never realized how big she is! Is it the camera angle or is the hull close to four feet? How on earth will you ever fit that in your bath tub?!?!?!?

Sam

Sam,

She's about 2 /1/2 feet long at this point.  Bathtub?  Maybe I ought to build one really big and opt for a swimming pool?  I wonder if the Admiral would buy into that...?  Maybe. 

Very nice Mark but only one thing.....

You are asking for something when you take a look at the second picture and the trashcan is prominent in sight !  :P  :P

Sjors

You're right...  I keep forgetting it's in the picture.  :D  :D :D  

Back to planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

If it's only 2.5 feet long, you'll probably be slatting instead of planking ... ;)  Considering Sam's measurement knowledge ... 2.5 ft = 4 ft = bathtub, I wonder what the size of his house will be in reality ... :huh:

Is the dustbin a version 1.0 reminder to keep yourself on your toes, I mean focused ... ;)

Carl

Nope.. it really is planking... just very small planks. :)

The trashcan is there for this end of the house and all my scrap when the scrapbox gets full... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Version 2.0 is certainly coming along incredibly well, nicly done!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Mark - I may have to retire.  The quality of this rebuild is excellent (is this a reflection of the additional time you have to put into it?  ;) )

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everyone.

Pat,

I think it's more a reflection of "I don't want to start this one over again!!!!".  :)  :) :)  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I have always admired plank of frame models because of their complexities.  Fantastic work.

David B 

Edited by dgbot

Mark, she's coming along beautifully!  Love the pear planking, and congrats on sticking with the ebony.  You seem the be making it work quite nicely!

It's a shame you're covering up all that framing though....  (sorry, just had to get that in there  ;) )

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Small update...

After doing the forward outer bulwarks several times, this is best I have at the moment.  I'm going to revisit these again after the rear outer bulwards are done and if I have to, again after the planking.  I find my skills just aren't quite where I want them in going from 1 plank width to 3 with some compound curves tossed in for good measure.

On the plus side, they look a darn sight better than they did the first couple of  times I did them. Also, they will end up with carvings, a channel, and deadeyes, maybe an anchor in front of them.  They feel smooth to the touch but to my eye, they look funky.  Hahn just used a single plank which at full size would have been 8" at the aft end and about 24" at the other.

I'm thinking I'll learn a little something doing the stern ones at this point as they go from 8" to 16" without the compound curves so I'll be able to practice some more on doing stealers.  Not there yet.. but working on it.

post-76-0-77937500-1430109445_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-39720500-1430109460_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I would say: " Trust your gut feeling in this" As I have written so before: When in doubt, restart, if you feel it's wrong ... the same. After you have reached the point of no return - whenever that, is looking at e.g. Dan Vadas' build and his magnificent (to me) impossible redo's - you are likely to feel irritated, even when it's hidden behind an anchor or deadeyes ...

Edited by cog

Carl

You're definitely making progress if they feel smooth to the touch.  You're working on one of the toughest sections  to get just right.  Good plan to move on and (possibly) revisit later.  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Only you will know what's good enough Mark. The rest of us will just sit back and admire whatever that is! :)

Thanks, guys...   I slept on it some more (the thoughts, not the actual model) and think I've found a solution.  I'll document it as I go...  Time for some de-construction and re-construction.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glad you clarified that Mark. I was worried about the excessive splintering if you were to roll over in your sleep.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

If you have seen the photo I posted of my Latham I worked on that transom for abut two weeks before I was happy with it.  Bully for you go on with the build but leave you self the option to redo a nasty area for getting the right look.  Good luck.  I am sure you will get it right the next time you take it off the back burner,

David B

I think I found the answer...post-76-0-72326700-1430173284.gif   I have a copy of Planking the Built Up Ship Model by (I think Jim Roberts) and it deals with the bulwark area.  Which backed up what I was thinking only his seems a better solution.   I'm waiting for planks to soak so I can bend them now...

As a self-comment... I'm not one to hide my mistakes nor to  quietly correct them.  I'm hoping my approach at some point will help someone else in a similar situation.   It's wood... it can be fixed and/or reworked. 

David,

I think we all go through that... it's just a matter of time and the "gotcha's" that pop up.  I'm back hammering away until I  get it 'right'... for some value of 'right'.  :)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's the reason a bunch of us follow your work. Honest assessments and willingness to "experiment". I like it. :10_1_10:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

it's as I mentioned Mark...it looks good,  but if it's not right in your eyes,  then your not satisfied until it is  ;)   good you found a solution.......I'll look forward in seeing what you come up with.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the "likes" and to Popeye and Ken.  

Ken,

I appreciate what you said. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

One small step for Licorne, one big step for me.    I got the forward outer bulwark planked to my satisfaction.   Happy Dance!!!!  post-76-0-96167200-1430517564.gif

The planking goes from one plank to three.  I got the middle one cut in as a proper stealer topmost goes under the ebony strip per the planking diagram (a different French frigate, but it showed me how it was done).

Here's the pic of the starboard side, and onto the aft ones.... The pic is super macro from about 4" out.  Looks better at galloping on horse back scale.

post-76-0-93195100-1430517720_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: