Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thank you for the "likes" and comments. 

I guess time for some answers...

Mark, that looks great. 

Question, why the poly before the planking is finished?

Sam

Sam,

One light coat to give some protection.   I know that I'll have to go back do some more sanding because I have do some more parts such as a window, the quarter galleries, and the breeching bolts.

planking looks awesome Mark........neat how you left a pre measured gap for the ebony ;)    in respect to your next step.......I guess it boils down as to how you want the stern planking to lay.   do you want it to butt over the hull planking,  or do you want the hull planking to case in the stern planking.

V2 has been Very good to you  ;)

Thanks Popeye.   The gaps are for the channels.   I have the counter planked so it's the planking above the counter..  Plus the quarter galleries cover pretty much all the exposed butts.

Mark - that planking looks great, did you spile any of the planks to get such a tight fit?

Jason,  I wouldn't call it spiling.  More like sanding and shaping like crazy.  Oh wait... this is spiling.. so yes.

Hi Mark - 

Coming along quite nicely.  I can see how your planking skills are improving all the time as you get more experience and work your way up the learning curve.

As for sequencing, I recommend that you plank the stern first.  This is how it was done in actual practice, so the run of the hull planks would overlap the hood ends of the stern planking, reducing the chance that water action would loosen the stern planks.  It is also easier to do, because you can sand the ends of the stern planks flush with the final ribs, then simply run the hull planks over and past them before trimming and sanding flush with the face of the stern planks.  If you have Zu Mondfeld's book, look at his discussion of stern planking (pages 96-97 in my edition).

Looking forward to watching you progress.

Dan.

Thanks Dan.  As I mentioned to Popeye, the counter is planked.  I think the proper term would be transom?  The windows and the area above it?  Maybe the do the windows but not much more until she's cut loose from the build board far in the future. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Port side aft bulwark planked...   I'm cleaning up the shop a bit and I'll start on the hull planking.

Critiques, laughing out loud, pretty much anything you want to say about it is allowed, as always.   

I do notice that there's a couple of place that need a touch more sanding, but those places are on hold until after the rest of the hull is planked.  Might as well get everything at once....

post-76-0-00242200-1431213736_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Critiques, laughing out loud, pretty much anything you want to say about it is allowed, as always.   

attachicon.gif2-4p.JPG

Critiques, laughing out loud? You're kidding right? Every time I look in at your scratch-build, and others for that matter, I feel like the wide-eyed kid, the first time going to a fair or something. I can only hope to learn something by watching these go up, and some day hopefully, start one of my own. It's amazing to me how much work actually goes into these, and from what I see, you're doing a bang-up job.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

George,

I'm serious about critiques... part of having a log is for other sets of eyes who may see something the builder doesn't.  For example, back on page 45, Gianpiero caught something that I missed.  I knew the line needed shaping but there were other issues creating that problem. When I looked again, I found what caused the problem and it was where he pointed it out.   :)

I do appreciate all comments.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Oh I know and understand all that Mark. I guess I was trying to point out my lack of enough knowledge about it to offer any kind of critique at all.  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

that's some very nice work Mark.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work Mark, She's looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

The planking is coming really nicely Mark.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Port side aft bulwark planked...   I'm cleaning up the shop a bit and I'll start on the hull planking.

I do notice that there's a couple of place that need a touch more sanding, but those places are on hold until after the rest of the hull is planked.  Might as well get everything at once....

attachicon.gif2-4p.JPG

Superb work mark :)

It so reminds me of some of the architect drawings i was fortunate to be shown when i spent a week with the RN down at Pompy, this plus a very extensive tour over Victory including some of her normaly closed off areas like the Keel lockers, and ballast keeps :)

It is a credit to yourself and some of the other dedicated history tellers - through their building of sutch beautiful peices of art, and the long standing commitment to achieve realism,  i feel honored to share my work here on the site :cheers:

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Mark

I wish I had something more intelligent to say about your Licorne, but the only words that come out are adjectives like: Wow, Brilliant, Beautiful, Fantastic and outstanding! Strange that. I wonder why?

Seriously, though. You've gotta really proud of what you've done.

Cheers

Patrick

Mark,

Smart to wait with sanding till your hull is planked. Laughin' would only show my ignorance, and so far I refrain from critique, as for now it would only show my incompetence ...

To me it looks very promising ,,,

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you for the "likes" and the comments.

I'm sorting out the planking plan.   I do want to install the garboard next as that's a odd-sized bit of timber and will provide a reference point.   So I'm kind of thinking the rest of this through on the fly...

I looked over the Hahn build pics and I'm not sure he's wrong or right.  There's some strakes the seem to go to a point.... 

From the black main wale down, 10 strakes of the wide planking.  I'll measure it off at the midpoint of the hull and run a batten.  These planks also decrease in thickness and I'll need to figure out how much and how fast the decrease needs to be.   There's also the question in my mind about a (for lack of a better word) transition area where the counter meets the transom timbers.  One plank comes into that area and appears to have a pretty sharp bend. 

From the garboard up.. measure from the midpoint of the hull and run probably one batten at the midpoint.  

The various ANCRE plans I've looked at and various French ships I've seen here on MSW and other places, show a diversity of techniques.. some us stealers and drop planks, others involve spiling.  I guess I won't know which is best until I get there....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Here's a critique for you Mark, superb mate, nice bit of planking.

Cant help you I'm afraid mate with the drop planks, spiling or stealers, a lot of it is all Greek to me.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mark,

Have been looking at some French sites a.o. the musee nationale maritime for your stealersd and drop planks, or spiling, but alas ... couldn't find a thing so far ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

I'm putting the research away for now... I'll follow the ANCRE plans for the ways of planking and they look remarkably like the way Jim Roberts does them in his  book Planking the built up ship model.  Right now, I'm fiddling with the battens.  When I think they look right I'll post pictures and work from there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

After reading all the theories and "how-to's" where the rubber meets the road....  I'd like some feedback on my batten.  I'm planking from the wales down to the batten first.  The batten represents where the wide wale planks will end... or should end. :rolleyes:

post-76-0-42078900-1431399780_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-24684500-1431399793_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-12922700-1431399817_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-50780200-1431399833_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-70336400-1431399848_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think you're right, John.   Better now?

post-76-0-10599900-1431402108_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I moved it about a 1/16" (1.5mm) on that last pic.  I saw where it was a tad off....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That looks pretty good to my eye Mark (though I've been known to be wrong before.........)

Hi Mark - 

Welcome to the wacky and wonderful world of spiling.  Although you can get lots of help from various books, and Jim Roberts' is one of the best, it is mostly a question of experience and eyeballing.  

One thing that Jim suggested when I was his pupil was to take strips of frosted tape and lay them flat on the hull till the area I was working on was completely covered.  Like the planks, the tape will sweep up toward the wale with the curve of the hull and cover previous tape runs.  This is a good thing.  It shows how much the planks want to bend so I could start to judge how many stealers/drop planks I might need.  Also, with the area completely taped I could line out the plank runs in pencil, making as many mistakes as I wanted without consequence.  After a while I developed a good sense of how the hull wanted to be planked, and could then much more accurately position my battens to guide the actual wood planks.

On the Licorne I have a feeling, and I could be wrong, that your first batten is too high (towards the keel) at the bow.  Judging by eye, the remaining area from the batten to the keel is not wide enough and your lower planks could be crowded and narrow,  The only way to be sure of this is to put in all of the battens that you want and then carefully examine them from dead ahead to see if they give you equal spacing.  A similar thing goes on at the stern.

Here is a drawing of what I mean.  It is from Jim's book, although I have removed his text for clarity.

post-3092-0-55260600-1431410303_thumb.jpg

Remember also that the garboard and first broad strake (the one next to the garboard) are wider than the rest of the planks, and your spiling/batten plan has to take this into account.

This was probably a longer response than you wanted, but I hope that it helps.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Looks good to these old eyes mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-